Muddy river

Barracuda

Aug 13, 2014, 10:19:01 PM8/13/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Biked in to work today in DC. Around Fletchers I could see the river -- completely muddy from the big rains on Tuesday. Anyone have a clue how long it might take to clear (assuming no further rain of consequence)?

Andy Thomas

Aug 14, 2014, 10:15:04 AM8/14/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Did you see the C&O?  I get off early today and thought about heading up there to fish a little.  Was it really muddy/high as well?

mbin...@rcn.com

Aug 14, 2014, 11:19:36 AM8/14/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
The Canal is muddy at Fletcher's, but don't forget that the water above Lock 5 (Brookmont) comes in at Seneca, possibly less muddy this time from a very localized storm. However, a few small Mont. Co. streams do bring muddy water to sections of the Canal up there.  Widewater often stays nice as the silt has time to filter out on its way down from Seneca.

Dalton Terrell

Aug 14, 2014, 11:35:27 AM8/14/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
The Little Falls Gauge now (I think this feature is new???) has a reading on turbidity, this needs to be near zero (<5) for the river to look clear. It's hard to say exactly when it will be in good shape, but I would guess it should definitely be fine by Saturday.

The canal was quite muddy yesterday but somewhat fishable.

Dalton

Mike Bailey

Aug 14, 2014, 11:49:52 AM8/14/14
to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders
USGS has added a lot of sensors at LF.  This 32295 CDOM, fluorescence, <5 ft from riverbed> may be the one to follow.

--
http://www.tpfr.org

Bruce Thomson

Patrick Kearns

TurbineBlade

Aug 15, 2014, 10:24:58 AM8/15/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com, mi...@shadfishing.com
Sure, but at least 2 of the 3  YSI units curently on the river get clogged with amphipods (scuds) and thus provide an instantaneous measure of scud abundance vs. clarity.

I use Rob's "usually it'll take a week" measure for fishing after rain events and it seems an accurate as anything else to me ;).

Gene

Marek Rich

Aug 15, 2014, 10:33:06 AM8/15/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com, mi...@shadfishing.com

So yes or no to fishing today?

TurbineBlade

Aug 15, 2014, 10:39:07 AM8/15/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com, mi...@shadfishing.com
Do you have any scuds?

Gene

On Friday, August 15, 2014 10:33:06 AM UTC-4, Marek wrote:

So yes or no to fishing today?

Marek Rich

Aug 15, 2014, 10:49:01 AM8/15/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com, mi...@shadfishing.com

yes

Aug 15, 2014, 11:02:19 AM8/15/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
(Almost) Always yes! If you have the time and there no safety hazards, get out and fish. Don't be put off by conditions, because you never know when you might hook into the fish of a lifetime!

--Scott

"There are 10 types of people in this world, those who know binary, and those who don't"

Greg Feder

Aug 15, 2014, 11:22:29 AM8/15/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Marek (and the rest of you not stuck in an office on this gorgeous day) --

I agree with Scott.  It's going to be a beautiful low humidity day.  Fishing likely will be awesome.  Catching on the other hand....?

Cheers,

-- Greg

Marek Rich

Aug 15, 2014, 11:55:53 AM8/15/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com

Heading to Violettes or Swains lock this afternoon around 2. If anyone wants to join, let me know.

Rob Snowhite

Aug 15, 2014, 12:23:44 PM8/15/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
The wind should help push the mud out to sea. I plan on being out all day tomorrow from Gravelly to 4MR.

Rob Snowhite

Aug 16, 2014, 8:45:22 AM8/16/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Sorry Marek -- obnoxious sarcasm on my part doesn't always translate.  I can't get out today, but the tribs near here are totally clear and look very fishable.  I took the 'Marek Special' (9' 5-weight) out for a couple of hours yesterday evening and caught a fairly decent number of sunfish, but nothing else.

Gene

Rob Snowhite

Aug 16, 2014, 9:52:27 AM8/16/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Gravelly ramp crystal clear, mainstream green brown minimal visibility

Sent from my iPhone
--
http://www.tpfr.org