Gunpowder Falls Question

Ryan D

Jun 19, 2014, 8:43:25 AM6/19/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I'm trying to decide where to fish Gunpowder. Has anyone fished the Wildlands Loop trail just off rt.1?  Any Gunpowder advice would be helpful.

Thanks,
-Ryan

tperkins

Jun 19, 2014, 8:58:57 AM6/19/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I would suggest fishing the stretch below Pretty Boy reservoir. That is where the wild trout are, it can be tough fishing but it is beautiful and cold water. Stop by Backwater Anglers or Great Feathers for advice on flies and spots. I like fishing from Masemore road up or down. Also Falls Rd is a good place to start. Tight lines!

TurbineBlade

Jun 19, 2014, 9:00:01 AM6/19/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
It depends -- during the week you have a lot of options, on weekends you might have to locate spots between people.  I've fished from the "flight of steps" up at the dam down through Falls road, Masemore, and a little further down.  I prefer stretches of fairly shallow water where soft hackles produce well because I'm lazy and I hate pulling boogers off of nymphs on every cast.  That's just me though --

It's a good place to just hike up and down and explore.

Gene

Ryan D

Jun 19, 2014, 9:20:41 AM6/19/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Thanks guy. On Google maps I think i see a little parking area just before the bridge on Masemore rd. I'll give that spot a try. I'm having a hard time finding somewhere to pull off by Falls rd. I guess I just need to drive up there and find something. Correct me if I'm wrong but there is parking up on the Prettyboy dam right?

Ryan D

Jun 19, 2014, 9:22:42 AM6/19/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
*Thanks guys.

haha sorry

tperkins

Jun 19, 2014, 11:12:07 AM6/19/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Hey Danny,

The parking at Masemore can get crowded, both by fisherman and hikers, but there are two (I believe) parking area at Falls RD. One is farther from the river but it accesses a trail that takes you towards the dam. The other lot is closer and the river is right there. Another spot to check is Bunker Hill RD. It used to cross the river but now it dead ends there. There is a big parking lot about a half mile from the river on the south side, or you can get close to the river using the northern section of the road.