Snakehead

Gregg DiSalvo

May 14, 2018, 3:42:14 PM5/14/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders

3:41 PM (less than a minute ago)
Hi all, I have been fishing in new places lately and one such place is know for snakehead.  I have seen the snaggers out in force as of late but have not spotted any snakehead myself.  I'd like to try to target them on the fly and have been focusing my attention around mid day, falling tide.   The weeds are not in thick yet, so I've been looking around docks and rocks.

Those of you that have had success with these fish. have you noticed any specific times of days, tides, types of days to have consistencies in spotting/catching fish?

Thanks,

-An angler who has yet to be slimed
Auto Generated Inline Image 1

Scott Stankus

May 14, 2018, 4:16:14 PM5/14/18
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
No rhyme, no reason. I’ve only caught two, both in the same location, both on topwater flies. The only thing that I can say (without a whole lot of certainty) is that you’ll only catch them if they don’t know you’re there. Once they know you’re there, they’re not going to eat. They may stick around and come up near you to breathe (or just to taunt), but they won’t eat.

The first one I got was a total fluke. I was on shore, fishing some weeds for bass and happened to get lucky. The second one (which was only a juvenile and probably didn’t know better) I caught while wading, but only after staying very still in the same spot for a long time and making a very long cast.

Good luck! In my experience, they are not easy to fool. Let us know what you learn!

—Scott

Sent from my iPhone

--
http://www.tpfr.org
<Auto Generated Inline Image 1>

Misha Gill

May 14, 2018, 5:38:45 PM5/14/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Concur completely with Scott. Once they know you're there, you're toast. I've had one successful interaction with them. See my blog for the writeup. But I am developing a theory that they cruise banks at high tide. Saw some on Saturday, I think they were mating. I've got a video to post but need to upload it to the tube.

Miles

May 15, 2018, 7:37:17 AM5/15/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I don't know that I speak for everyone in the group but probably most: we NEED to see your snakeheads humping video.

Scott Stankus

May 15, 2018, 7:39:50 AM5/15/18
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I second Miles. But, Misha, be sure to get the YouTube Terms of Service before uploading that! I'm guessing as long as you tag it "Nature" and "Documentary" you should be alright!

--
http://www.tpfr.org

"There are 10 types of people in this world, those who know binary, and those who don't"

Misha Gill

May 15, 2018, 10:18:11 AM5/15/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Ask and ye shall receive: https://youtu.be/pKYh2xnNTNQ

Scott Stankus

May 15, 2018, 10:22:17 AM5/15/18
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Love the commentary!

On Tue, May 15, 2018 at 10:18 AM, Misha Gill <mish...@gmail.com> wrote:
Ask and ye shall receive: https://youtu.be/pKYh2xnNTNQ

--
http://www.tpfr.org

Gregg DiSalvo

May 15, 2018, 10:33:06 AM5/15/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I second Scott's comment. Move aside David Attenborough!

Andrew Sarcinello

May 15, 2018, 12:20:20 PM5/15/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Keep your day job Misha!  (in reference to the commentary - thanks for sharing the video, pretty wild!)

Misha Gill

May 15, 2018, 1:45:35 PM5/15/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Lol no lie if I could choose one job to have it would be Sir Attenborough's. However, he's as irreplaceable as a Galapagos Penguin. So I'll stick to what I'm doing.

Jamie Carracher

May 27, 2018, 1:27:41 PM5/27/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I was very surprised this morning to spot two Snakehead in Rock Creek north of Porter in Cleveland Park. I thought they were carp because of their outline and the fact that they were surfacing with big splashes. But one came right up to my feet without a care in the world. It was at least two feet long and looked like it had been eating well. It’s head was bigger than my fist. I’ve not seen them that far up before.

Also spotted an otter and caught a smallmouth!

John Hammill

May 27, 2018, 7:22:04 PM5/27/18
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Buy me a drink first Misha.

Sent from my iPhone
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/CAONrediXjvPYxhofehX-NZZKXfB%2BZ-iCFJ_k6jg7dcZh0Vaq%3DQ%40mail.gmail.com.

John Hammill

May 28, 2018, 4:58:06 PM5/28/18
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Jamie that’s amazing! I’ve caught small mouth and perch and sunfish (and a catfish) down by the zoo but had no idea snakeheads came up this way. I live in Adams Morgan.

My number is 202–352-7937 to have on file as a local.

Sent from my iPhone

> On May 27, 2018, at 1:27 PM, Jamie Carracher <jcarr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I was very surprised this morning to spot two Snakehead in Rock Creek north of Porter in Cleveland Park. I thought they were carp because of their outline and the fact that they were surfacing with big splashes. But one came right up to my feet without a care in the world. It was at least two feet long and looked like it had been eating well. It’s head was bigger than my fist. I’ve not seen them that far up before.
>
> Also spotted an otter and caught a smallmouth!
>
> --
> http://www.tpfr.org
> ---

Andrew Carlton

May 29, 2018, 3:25:28 PM5/29/18
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Pretty positive my friend and I also saw a snakehead chilling under the Porter Street bridge yesterday. He tried to entice it was a spinning lure, but it seemed to spook when the lure got too close.

I was only able to catch a few bluegill using a tenkara rod, fishing from the west bank, just south of the pedestrian bridge.

On Mon, May 28, 2018 at 4:58 PM, John Hammill <john.b....@gmail.com> wrote:
Jamie that’s amazing! I’ve caught small mouth and perch and sunfish (and a catfish) down by the zoo but had no idea snakeheads came up this way. I live in Adams Morgan.

My number is 202–352-7937 to have on file as a local.

Sent from my iPhone

> On May 27, 2018, at 1:27 PM, Jamie Carracher <jcarr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I was very surprised this morning to spot two Snakehead in Rock Creek north of Porter in Cleveland Park. I thought they were carp because of their outline and the fact that they were surfacing with big splashes. But one came right up to my feet without a care in the world. It was at least two feet long and looked like it had been eating well. It’s head was bigger than my fist. I’ve not seen them that far up before.
>
> Also spotted an otter and caught a smallmouth!
>
> --
> http://www.tpfr.org
> ---
http://www.tpfr.org

Gregg DiSalvo

May 30, 2018, 7:59:57 AM5/30/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I had some success last weekend targeting the snakeheads. Of course my hook setting left a lot to be desired as I had a2 good sighted snakehead takes and a couple other takes that could have been snakehead.  I let my nerves get the best of me, but I will hopefully be a bit more dialed in next time.

tperkins

May 30, 2018, 8:39:06 AM5/30/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders

Gregg DiSalvo

May 30, 2018, 10:08:44 AM5/30/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Story of my life...

Rex Moore

May 30, 2018, 11:17:04 AM5/30/18
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
What's the proper way to set the hook for snakeheads?

Hook setting has been sort of mysterious to me. I watch bass anglers on TV feel the take, wait literally two seconds, then... yank! I don't understand why that amount of waiting is helpful because I assume the fish will spit it out by then.

--
http://www.tpfr.org

Sean Beck

Alexander Vu

May 30, 2018, 4:02:56 PM5/30/18
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
What are you guys using for flies to catch snakehead: any pics to share, what size hook?  What is your leader set up? Do you guys use the Bankok braided leader?
Thx
Alex

Sean Beck

Jun 5, 2018, 6:49:20 AM6/5/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Both of mine have been on 1/0 TNT baitfish: https://subscribe.postflybox.com/products/tnt-baitfish-1-0

Color was tan body with gold lateral line. I get a tying kit every month from Postfly so I tied a couple in that color scheme.

Leader is just a 6' level fluoro leader. I'm using 20lb test to make sure those teeth don't cut through the leader. These things clamp down and thrash hard. I fish the Little Patuxent for them and they've been wanting the flies closer to the bottom, so I've been using my sink tip line, although the first one I caught was on my floating line. I'm using a 6wt but you really should be using an 8wt.

Strip set harder than you think you need to!

Connor Donovan

Jun 5, 2018, 2:43:12 PM6/5/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders

Gregg DiSalvo

Jun 6, 2018, 2:20:54 PM6/6/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I feel like that 6 wt would certainly not be enough there for that fish!  I plan on chasing them with a 6 and 9.  Ideally, i'd use my 7wt, but it's getting repaired due to me bragging about my great track record of not breaking rods....

John Hammill

Jun 6, 2018, 7:18:21 PM6/6/18
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
😀.
Hunch well and pull up not sideways like yours truly did too much until Harold Harsh, a great guide out in Garrett County, taught me not to do on a great float trip I did a couple of years ago on the north branch

Sent from my iPhone
--
http://www.tpfr.org