Family friendly fishing in DC and MD?

William Hea

Apr 11, 2018, 11:23:28 AM4/11/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Hi, all!

I'm planning to take a friend, his wife, and daughter (2.5 year old) fishing on Saturday. Any family friendly fishing recommendations in DC or MD? Family friendly would include:
  • Parking lot
  • Reasonable bathrooms (diaper changes)
  • Easy terrain for a child to walk and be seen
  • Playground (bonus)
I was thinking the tidal basin but open to other suggestions. I know MD is doing a lot of trout stocking at the moment.

-Will

Scott Stankus

Apr 11, 2018, 11:39:07 AM4/11/18
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I recently fished at Centennial Lake in Ellicott City, MD and that might be a good location - good parking lot, that's close to a fishing "pier" with nearby Port-A-Johns. Not sure if there's a playground, though. And it's a bit of a drive from DC.

--Scott

--
http://www.tpfr.org

"There are 10 types of people in this world, those who know binary, and those who don't"

Scott Stankus

Andrew Sarcinello

Apr 11, 2018, 11:43:14 AM4/11/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Will,

This is actually in VA, but Lake Fairfax Park near Reston fits most of what you're looking for.  The park is VERY popular and I'm assuming the bathrooms are ok, though I haven't actually used them.  Don't think there's a playground but lots of room to walk around or hang out.

Fishing is okay for largemouth bass, bluegills, and a few crappie. There's a walkway with a high railing on both sides that is great to fish from.  Always a ton of kids there looking at ducks and turtles. Trout are stocked sometimes too.

I'm not as familiar with the parks close by in MD.

davidwi...@gmail.com

Apr 11, 2018, 12:34:55 PM4/11/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
The Tidal Basin is going to be a giant mass of humanity this Saturday, with the cherry blossoms and the first really warm day of spring. It certainly won't be the peaceful little outing you are describing. There will be lines for the bathrooms and parking will be a nightmare.

William Hea

Apr 11, 2018, 6:56:07 PM4/11/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Thanks, all! Forgot about the cherry blossom gawkers. We'll hit up one of the MD lakes instead.

Scott Stankus

Apr 11, 2018, 7:16:14 PM4/11/18
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Good luck, and let us know how you do!

—Scott

Sent from my iPhone
--
http://www.tpfr.org

William Hea

Apr 14, 2018, 5:56:13 PM4/14/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Thanks, all! Went to Centennial Lake in Maryland. They stocked trout this week and a few people were catching them with corn on a heavy weight down deep and out from shore. Sitting and waiting didnt look fun so we decided to go after bass and bluegill instead.

Lost a lot of flies, but caught a lot of big bluegill and a baby bass (4 inches). Everyone had fun and the kid held her first fish (icky!).

Finally, I had a huge bass try to eat a large bluegill I was trying to land, couldn’t quite fit the whole fish in his mouth.

Probably wouldn’t go back to centennial again (very crowded) but happy to keep trying other lakes and creeks. Thank you all for the suggestions!

Sean Beck

Apr 19, 2018, 6:38:43 AM4/19/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
It can be crowded there unless you move to other spots! The docks are always way too crowded for fly tackle. Down by the dam is a bit better.