Fishing near Bethesda...

randol...@gmail.com

May 19, 2017, 8:24:02 PM5/19/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Hey y'all.  new to the group, and recently moved back to area from montana. I'm looking to catch some largemouth near me, and hoping to stay within the 30-45 minutes from bethesda.  using a fly rod so hoping to find a place that has a bit of casting room.  Thanks so much for your help!

-Randy

Gary Fleeger

May 20, 2017, 4:07:44 PM5/20/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I live in Bethesda and have always heard about 4 Mile Run in Va. I never wanted the headache of driving there because I feel like anywhere in Va might as well be on the moon. I made the trip twice in the last two weeks and caught 5 largies the first time and 7 the second. I was there less than 2 hours each time. Both times I was on the out going tide, but I don't know how much that matters. Others here are better experts on that stuff.

I have a little place that I also like to visit about 20 mins from Bethesda. I would be willing to show you some time if you message me separately. lastly, have a fun place to just get a quick fix about 5 mins from Bethesda that has a ton of bluegill and some very small large mouth. It's great to just get a quick tight line.

Gary

Carl Z.

May 20, 2017, 11:57:20 PM5/20/17
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
The tidal basin is fun in the evening (as the sun gets low) for a quick trip.  The Potomac above Great falls is good smallmouth water.  Black hills regional park has some good bass water, but it's best accessible by boat.

I would fish 4mile run in the winter when everywhere else is shut down(it has a warm water discharge), but it's urban fishing and when it warms up, I will fish elsewhere.

Carl

--
Carl Zmola

--
http://www.tpfr.org

Rob Snowhite

May 21, 2017, 2:39:48 PM5/21/17
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Tidal Basin produced some big fish today. Clarity was terrible and wind was making waves on the south west side where all sorts of trash and flotsam piled up.

Sent from my iPhone
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/CAK8gq%2BHvL2pgfzKvWoqCNzVjFvze27%3DvjgK3QVu-gP4E11ughQ%40mail.gmail.com.

Misha Gill

May 23, 2017, 10:40:47 AM5/23/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Rob are you seeing any cicadas around the tidal basin?

Rob Snowhite

May 23, 2017, 10:58:31 AM5/23/17
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
The air was silent on Sunday out there. None spotted.

Sent from my iPhone

On May 23, 2017, at 10:40 AM, Misha Gill <mish...@gmail.com> wrote:

Rob are you seeing any cicadas around the tidal basin?

--
http://www.tpfr.org

Marek Rich

May 23, 2017, 11:00:37 AM5/23/17
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com

They were pretty prevalent in my neighborhood in Potomac over the past week or so. Not crazy thick, but certainly noticeable – especially in the evenings.

Yambag Nelson

May 23, 2017, 11:57:26 AM5/23/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Has anyone ever had great fishing on cicadas?  You always hear people talking about them like they are going to result in some incredible feeding frenzy, but in 24 years of fly fishing I don't think I have ever seen a fish eat one.

On Tuesday, May 23, 2017 at 11:00:37 AM UTC-4, Marek wrote:

They were pretty prevalent in my neighborhood in Potomac over the past week or so. Not crazy thick, but certainly noticeable – especially in the evenings.

Jeffrey Silvan

May 23, 2017, 12:05:28 PM5/23/17
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I absolutely destroyed smallies on cicada patterns a couple years back in August. 5 20"+ fish in one day, and about 10 more 17-19 inch fish. This was on the James.

On Tue, May 23, 2017 at 11:57 AM, Yambag Nelson <northstreet...@gmail.com> wrote:
Has anyone ever had great fishing on cicadas?  You always hear people talking about them like they are going to result in some incredible feeding frenzy, but in 24 years of fly fishing I don't think I have ever seen a fish eat one.

On Tuesday, May 23, 2017 at 11:00:37 AM UTC-4, Marek wrote:

They were pretty prevalent in my neighborhood in Potomac over the past week or so. Not crazy thick, but certainly noticeable – especially in the evenings.

Bobby Davis

May 23, 2017, 12:06:18 PM5/23/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I caught a channel catfish on one last summer.  If I had come prepared and actually had cicada flies with me ( I stuck a real one on a hook and cast it with my fly rod), I could have caught carp, catfish, and bass in the reservoir I was fishing all day.

TurbineBlade

May 23, 2017, 5:18:32 PM5/23/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
It's really difficult to know -- Beth and I have destroyed trout in the SNP (and in RMNP) on electric-bright yellow foam beetles that may have suggested that fish were keyed-in on the 17-year, electric banana asian beetle hatch occurring at the same time.

In other news, I've also discovered that keeping dried apricots in your pantry is correlated with a decreased risk of lion attack.

(kidding and healthy skepticism aside, I have no clue whether and to what extent fish may key on cicadas when they're present and apparently, falling into the water frequently enough to be food)

Gene

Misha Gill

May 24, 2017, 12:11:40 PM5/24/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I fished a private pond near Charlottesville spring of my 3L year and did well on a (crude) periodical cicada pattern. I took dozens of large, hand size bream and just a few 1 lb largies. Pond had trees along more than half its bank. Other side was cattails. Great cicada habitat. I also got my biggest bass in 4MR on a cicada. Water was clear down by the bridge. Spotted the fish and was lucky to approach from behind. Put the fly 3 ft to her left and she nailed it.
Largemouth Central VA 2013.jpg
Bluegill Central VA 2013.jpg
Periodical Cicada Central VA May 2013.jpg

Misha Gill

May 24, 2017, 12:18:19 PM5/24/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Follow up to add that when the fishing good it's not a frenzy. They are just around in the trees, and being clumsy critters they occasionally fall into the water on the wing or off the vegetation they are crawling on. So you blind fish around the vegetation you think holds the bugs and let the fly sit. Proper orientation of the fly on the water (hook point down) matters for your hooksets. I tie a size 8 foam pattern with a dubbed body and an deer or elk hair + zlon wing. I'll tie it at the next beer tie.

tperkins

May 24, 2017, 12:21:37 PM5/24/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders

Andrew LaVigne

May 24, 2017, 6:08:28 PM5/24/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
ran into an emergence on the Jackson River tailwater last year. not like a hatch, but fish were definitely keyed in, and would rise at big orange/brown dries . I luckily had some salmonfly patterns left over from a Montana trip that worked just fine.

tsm...@gmail.com

May 27, 2017, 5:29:26 AM5/27/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Randy. Clopper Lake is a good spot for large mouth bass. It's wooded so fly fishing from boat only. They rent kayaks and canoes. Good luck. T