Favorite Type Of Trout Water

Rob Snowhite

Jun 15, 2014, 6:56:09 PM6/15/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
The local trout stream thread got me thinking. I'd like to know what everyone's favorite type of trout water is. What is your favorite type of water to fish for trout?

My personal favorite is a tailwater with a significant drop in elevation. Example would be Elevenmile Canyon in Colorado. Loads of plunge pools with scattered straight stretches in between. Every plunge pool allows a new presentation to learn, new fish at each spot, scrambling over the boulders, constant fun.

Please describe your ideal trout fishing waters and what  you find ideal about it, the kind you dream about at night.

Do you like limestones, freestones, great lake tributary, oceanic tributary, tailwater, small, wide, alpine, Pacific NW rainforest, stillwater, ice/hardwater, stocked, wild, hook 'n cook, secluded, urban, etc.

Misha Gill

Jun 15, 2014, 7:06:39 PM6/15/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Rob, I think I agree with you, tailwater pocket water is just awesome. The Savage is like that. Similar would be a spring creek that drops over a bit of elevation. That's why the Metolius River is a bucket list destination for me.

Additionally, a tailwater like the South Holston is pretty awesome, because you can wade the whole way across when they're not generating power, there are ample hatches, and lots of different types of water to explore. I sometimes describe the South Holston as a 100 yard-wide spring creek.

TurbineBlade

Jun 15, 2014, 9:20:08 PM6/15/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I haven't experienced nearly as many types of trout streams as a lot of folks have, but my favorite are probably the SNP streams that require a hike that would deter most Americans.  I just like the adventure of it --

Gene

Carl Z.

Jun 16, 2014, 3:58:03 PM6/16/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I just love high mountain meadow basins, but it could just be that I like the scenery.  Low gradient streams that are from 2 to 12 ft wide, undercut banks and no trees to be caught up in.  That and brookies that you are encouraged to eat.  Also, native cutthroat are spectacular looking fish (almost as pretty as brookies).

These are not pocket water streams, getting a good drift over 6 ft makes a difference, but watching the fish position itself and sip the fly really gets me every time.  Everything works in slow motion like on a spring creek, but the fish are not quite as spooky.

--
http://www.tpfr.org

Matt Geiman

Jun 16, 2014, 11:17:48 PM6/16/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I have to say the Savage Tailwater is also one my favorites! Pretty water, Interesting pools and pocket water. There is so much productive water to fish, and the whole river from dam to mouth holds fish. There is no dead water to pass through. You could take all day to cover a mile, and be fishing over plenty of fish. It has an intimate feel and is small enough to hit all the spots, yet large enough to actually do some fly casting. Aside from It's environment I like that it has good dry fly fishing, and almost all the fish are wild with the change of getting some large browns.

Yambag Nelson

Jun 17, 2014, 9:17:38 AM6/17/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I generally prefer larger freestone streams or tailwaters that have a freestone feel (i.e. madison).  Not a big fan of big tailwaters as they seem kind of artificial to me.  I do small streams from time to time but I prefer challenging hatches and fish whcih you don't often see on the small streams (limestones excluded).

Matt Geiman

Jun 17, 2014, 10:56:53 AM6/17/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I love large freestones too! It seems too me wild trout from freestones fight harder when hooked. Any one else notice this? Expecially rainbows! Last summer I had a ball with bows peeling backing on the Upper Delores in Colorado. I also like how freestone trout are more opportunistic too dries, even with no hatch.

Ben

Jun 17, 2014, 4:36:31 PM6/17/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Too many to choose from, so I have to go with favorites instead of picking just one.

limestone spring creeks flowing through pasture and forests: growing up in southeastern Minnesota, these are the kinds of streams I really learned to fly fish on...through many hours untangling line from bushes and trees, spooking wary fish with sloppy casts, and snapping off flies on 6x tippet. I love the challenge of fishing this kind of water, and it always sort of feels like home. Also, the possibility of big fish in little water. Silver Creek in Idaho is may be the quintessential example.

mountain streams and lakes: another somewhat sentimental pick from backpacking trips in the Bighorns with my dad growing up, not to mention the first kind of water where I used a fly rod. Echoing Gene, there's something about being in a place that requires some serious hiking...Also, the waters are unpressured, and the fish are always hungry and looking up. And that's to say nothing of being surrounded by snow-capped peaks. Beautiful fish too. Many spots in the Cloud Peak Wilderness Area of the Bighorn Mountains in Wyoming.

high desert canyon rivers: Resonant beauty of the landscape. Reading big water is a good challenge as can be the changing insect activity throughout the day and season. Wild fish. Sleeping in the dirt under more stars than you can see just about anywhere else. Deschutes River in Oregon.

I guess my favorite kinds of trout water are as much about landscapes and memories as about the fishing itself.

Ben

Richard Farino

Jun 17, 2014, 4:40:43 PM6/17/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I like the kind of trout water that’s wet.

=)

Richard Farino

Urban Angler VA 108 N. Washington Street  2nd Floor | Alexandria, VA 22314 Google_Maps_Marker

(703) 527-2524 | fax: (703) 527-3313ric...@urbanangler.com  urban-signature-facebook  urban-signature-twitter

--
http://www.tpfr.org

namfos

Jun 18, 2014, 12:18:22 PM6/18/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Best response yet, Rich.

Mark

TurbineBlade

Jun 18, 2014, 12:25:31 PM6/18/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Agreed!  Hey, how long is a piece of rope?

Gene

Richard Farino

TurbineBlade

From: TurbineBlade <doubl...@gmail.com>
Date: Wednesday, June 18, 2014 at 12:25 PM
To: <tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com>
Subject: Re: {Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Re: Favorite Type Of Trout Water

Agreed!  Hey, how long is a piece of rope?

Gene

On Wednesday, June 18, 2014 12:18:22 PM UTC-4, namfos wrote:
Best response yet, Rich.

Mark

On Tuesday, June 17, 2014 4:40:43 PM UTC-4, Richard Farino wrote:
I like the kind of trout water that’s wet.

--
http://www.tpfr.org

FlyTimesDC

Jun 18, 2014, 2:40:54 PM6/18/14