Bass now

Tyler Lucas

Feb 19, 2014, 9:59:30 PM2/19/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Any one know of any good bass locations other than 4MR as of right now (IE tomorrow)

lakes or ponds that are not still frozen, anything. I'm breaking out the bait caster and trying to land some bass tomorrow and the next day.

jake hamilton

Feb 19, 2014, 10:14:31 PM2/19/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
There is Picket pond in Fairfax I've always had awesome luck there also Burke lake, lake Fairfax, accotink lake, maybe bell haven marine. Try and find a power plant on the river with a warm water discharge. If you cant find a place for bass soon try out cook lake in Alexandria it is stocked with catfish and rainbow trout and is native to bass.
Jake

Daniel Davala

Feb 19, 2014, 10:49:23 PM2/19/14
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Picket Pond, SWEET!  That's a blast from the past for me.  My buddies and I used to fish Picket and lots of other neighborhood ponds in that area every day back in High School.  Been a while but I remember it all fondly.  Thanks for the memory!

Dan Davala

--
http://www.tpfr.org

Matt S.

Feb 20, 2014, 6:57:40 AM2/20/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Hmmm I live in Fairfax... And have not scoped out Pickett Pond. Any tips on access or parking? is it public or a HOA-controlled pond? There are actually a bunch of nice looking ponds around but it seems most around here are private or otherwise posted. When I find one I can access I usually try to give it a shot. I'm not above a certain degree of skulduggery to get occasional access to some nice bream and bass but I don't want to irritate homeowners or get into trouble. Any advice on this place?

namfos

Feb 20, 2014, 11:22:42 AM2/20/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
My brother in law, in earlier days was an avid trespasser in North Jersey. His advice would be to get into trouble.  Now that he's got a wife, a son, a mortgage and a respectable job he's changed his tune. ;-)

Mark

Matthew Longley

Feb 20, 2014, 12:13:29 PM2/20/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I've found that you can go a long way by just asking politely for access.  Most of the folks who are anti-access are like that for good reason.  People, by and large, are pretty disrespectful and can completely trash someone else's property.  If you show up and ask nicely, they usually realize that you "aren't like the other folks" and can be quite helpful.  Just my 2 cents.

jake hamilton

Feb 21, 2014, 7:00:43 PM2/21/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Picket pond is fairly eeasy to find it's on google maps. it is controlled by an HOA but nobody will bother you no gates nothing. Very easy to fish, there are i think 3 docks or steps to fish it. Picket pond is about 30 min from dc http://www.fshoa-va.com/Location.htm ( there is the google map) really sweet spot i have fished it forever never left without a bass.
Jake

Bob Sivinski

Feb 21, 2014, 7:04:06 PM2/21/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I just got back from Burke lake, it's still mostly iced over although there are some clear spots.

Tyler Lucas

Feb 21, 2014, 7:28:59 PM2/21/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
BOB
did you catch anything???

Tyler Lucas

Feb 21, 2014, 7:39:21 PM2/21/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Jake, Any idea if its frozen right now

jake hamilton

Feb 21, 2014, 9:47:22 PM2/21/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
i highly highly doubt it it has water coming in and out and a cleaner going year round. And the the fact that it will be nearly 70 degrees Saturday. My uncle lives in the HOA that runs it he fishes it every Sunday afternoon, if it is frozen there are many lakes with in 10 min of Pickett pond. It's a fun place to fish most likely not frozen but Burke lake is about 10 min away Accotink is probably 20-30 min. Definitely if you go fish it fish the back are near the cleaner in front of the pine trees and work your way around, there is always a big bass in there.
Jake

--
http://www.tpfr.org

Bob Sivinski

Feb 22, 2014, 12:13:18 PM2/22/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I was just scouting, didn't bring a rod.  I did try to fish nearby Woodglen lake earlier today.  It was about half ice and water clarity was really bad.  No luck.  Looks like 4MR for me tomorrow...

Tyler Lucas

jake hamilton

Feb 22, 2014, 9:26:46 PM2/22/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/2879+Clarendon+Blvd,+Arlington,+VA+22201/11510+Havenner+Rd,+Fairfax+Station,+VA+22039/@38.8419623,-77.2822881,12z/data=!4m13!4m12!1m5!1m1!1s0x89b7b68669086d93:0x3480ce6c3ae70a51!2m2!1d-77.0929111!2d38.888094!1m5!1m1!1s0x89b6502f656822a9:0xbc72626e83c3f5d8!2m2!1d-77.343261!2d38.789413

there are the directions from the orvsi store to the pond it took me a while to do this because the HOA try's to keep the pond under the table i guess, i guess it's maybe a secret glory hole. here's the address.
11510 Havenner Rd, Fairfax Station, VA 22039

this pond is very very fun to fish
use sinking line on your streamers the pond is sorta deep probably 20 feet in the center. super easy back cast room too, now to think of it a spey rod would be absolutely amazing at this place. Post your catch on the forum when you get one.
Jake

jake hamilton

Feb 23, 2014, 6:59:22 PM2/23/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
On Pickett pond use damsel flies after the hatch, use damsel nymphs, poppers, i have caught 25 or more on a popper damsel nymph combo
you can never go wrong with a wolly bugger there either.

Tyler Lucas

Feb 23, 2014, 9:30:46 PM2/23/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Thank you very much I found it, I may go check it out tomorow

jake hamilton

Feb 24, 2014, 4:03:10 PM2/24/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
it's a fun pond to fish try to go fish pre bass spawn (for the Potomac) because ponds heat up much faster than the river and make the bass have an earlier spawn time then it would be on the Potomac.