In search of bigger trout

abbie mcmullen

Feb 25, 2018, 10:47:54 AM2/25/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Hello all! I am looking for a good spot to go next weekend. I've had a lot of luck on the smaller local streams this winter but I was hoping to get into something a little bigger. I wouldn't mind making a trip if it. Something a few hours away is not a problem. Can't wait to hear what everyone likes!
Thanks!
Abbie

Bobby Davis

Feb 25, 2018, 11:29:21 AM2/25/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
If the little j is up, a float trip down that river would be a solid bet.

abbie mcmullen

Feb 25, 2018, 2:20:58 PM2/25/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I was hoping to stick to wading. Thanks though!

Rob Snowhite

Feb 25, 2018, 4:31:09 PM2/25/18
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Yellow Breeches or Letort/Falling Springs all have some monster fish hiding out.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Feb 25, 2018, at 2:20 PM, abbie mcmullen <abbie.m...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I was hoping to stick to wading. Thanks though!
>
> --
> http://www.tpfr.org
> ---

Bobby Davis

Feb 25, 2018, 4:32:06 PM2/25/18
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
^^ agreed but they are some persnickety fish

On Feb 25, 2018 4:31 PM, "Rob Snowhite" <r...@robsnowhite.com> wrote:
Yellow Breeches or Letort/Falling Springs all have some monster fish hiding out.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Feb 25, 2018, at 2:20 PM, abbie mcmullen <abbie.m...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I was hoping to stick to wading. Thanks though!
>
> --
> http://www.tpfr.org
> ---
http://www.tpfr.org

Danny Barrett

Feb 25, 2018, 4:33:21 PM2/25/18
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
you have the north branch in barnum wv, the dirty jackson in covington va, and back creek in sunrise va. wouldnt call them big water. but probably some of the larger trout waters around DC.
On Sun, Feb 25, 2018 at 2:20 PM, abbie mcmullen <abbie.m...@gmail.com> wrote:
I was hoping to stick to wading. Thanks though!

vladimir polivanov

Feb 25, 2018, 4:59:01 PM2/25/18
to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders
It's a little more than a few hours drive however the Salmon River for Steelhead or Erie Tribs is a very doable weekend trip . Several years ago Brian Hepler & I did a March trip to the Chatauqua  ( Erie Trib ). We had great day of fishing and virtually had the place to ourselves. Obviously you need to keep a sharp on weather conditions for that part of the country before taking off. A little closer to home Calvert Cliffs power plant has been a good late winter fishery for Rockfish in years past. But you would need a boat and or a guide with a boat

Vladimir  ( Vo )

--
http://www.tpfr.org

N Elgas

Feb 26, 2018, 8:07:16 AM2/26/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
The lower yough is every bit as close as some of the I81s streams and has really big fish,  you also cross the castleman on the way there and you have tons of shore access.  yough, castlman and savage are the best three streams within 20 miles of each other in va/md/wv IMHO.

Misha Gill

Feb 26, 2018, 9:56:57 AM2/26/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I'm told they stock some brood fish in the Casselman, so those would be BIG. I haven't fished it myself but it is definitely good water. There's a scenic and historic stone bridge on it that you should orient to.

Marek Rich

Feb 26, 2018, 10:54:20 AM2/26/18
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com

I would also suggest the Casselman. Great water, with some true trophy-class trout.

--

http://www.tpfr.org

Andrew R

Feb 26, 2018, 12:29:38 PM2/26/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Agreed on the Casselman and Savage. I'd probably recommend skipping the NB Potomac and Yough unless you are planning to float. Neither are very wading-only friendly and are definitely best fished by raft, whether actually from the boat or as a means of getting from one hole to the next.

Tight Lines,

Andrew R

On Monday, February 26, 2018 at 10:54:20 AM UTC-5, Marek wrote:

I would also suggest the Casselman. Great water, with some true trophy-class trout.

Feb 26, 2018, 12:36:22 PM2/26/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I'm interested in hitting a Virginia stream this weekend. Either trout or SMB. bank or wading. Want to start lumbering up to hit the Jackson in April..

Charlie Church

Feb 26, 2018, 12:39:29 PM2/26/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I have done well wading the north branch this time of the year on some nicer fish. Bring a wading staff and studs if you go.

Carl Z.

Feb 26, 2018, 1:16:30 PM2/26/18
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I haven't been to the Casselman this year, but I have gotten good fish from right under I68 in the past (though the area might be closed due to construction on the bridge).  14-16" rainbows.  However, they seem to pool up together and hit pellet flies.  I used rubberleggs, but black/brown small streamers would probably work well.

Not the most scenic fishing and after a bit it get's a bit boring pulling in stockers, but it beats not catching fish.

Carl

--
Carl Zmola

On Mon, Feb 26, 2018 at 12:39 PM, Charlie Church <charlie...@gmail.com> wrote:
I have done well wading the north branch this time of the year on some nicer fish. Bring a wading staff and studs if you go.

--
http://www.tpfr.org

Bryan Lanier

abbie mcmullen

Mar 12, 2018, 2:05:26 PM3/12/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I recently had an awesome day on South river by Waynesboro. Very nice stream with good access. I recommend the special regulation section.