Fly fishing with George Washington

Adam Harris

Apr 13, 2018, 5:03:59 PM4/13/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Hey everyone, long time lurker, first time poster. I was reading up about Washington’s commercial fisheries operations and stumbled on to the fascinating video below about George Washington’s fly kit and how they used eyeless hooks and had to tie on to the hook. Would love to hear from anyone familiar with the hook tie technique or have attempted to chase fish using this 18th century techniques. I’m thinking about hitting 4MR this weekend; probably not attempting this approach.

https://vimeo.com/175253844

The Shad Hammer

Apr 14, 2018, 10:32:55 PM4/14/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Hey Adam,

Thanks for sharing that.  I liked that guy's fishing hat!

If you've not read it, try the book about shad... The Founding Fish

Best, THS