Fly Rod Suggestions for Florida

Gregg DiSalvo

Dec 5, 2017, 11:02:19 AM12/5/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Hi, I have a friend near St. Petersburg, Florida who would like to get a first fly rod for her boyfriends who has shown interest in the sport.  I recommended a mid tier rod instead of a starter pack, but the price point is up to her.  Where I couldn't direct her was with the size setup for the area.  It's right on the coast so a lot of fishing is to be had in salt, but if somebody is beginning, is it easier to learn inshore?  Many of you fish both inshore and salt in Florida, and I am looking to you for weight recommendations.  8-10 weights? Slow or fast action? A decent versatile warm water fly line (don't know if there's a good universal floater for salt and fresh).

Ultimately, this guy has never fly fished and may or may not hate the sport.  I'd be surprised if she wanted to drop a fortune, but could imagine spending 2-300 on an outfit.  Not top notch, but not beginner.  Im thinking pairing a Behemoth reel with an beginner/intermediate rod.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.  Sorry for any naive ideas or requests in the above.  I have never fished down that way.

Cheers,

Gregg

Yambag Nelson

Dec 5, 2017, 11:49:09 AM12/5/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
9 foot 8 or 9wt would be my suggestion. I would typically use an 8 but the 9 will help with casting in the wind.

I would go with. Tfo. Probably a ticr.

Lane Thurgood

Dec 5, 2017, 1:18:48 PM12/5/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Fast action 8-weight would be my first choice.  Versatile in the salt and with the Florida bass fishing.  Either a general saltwater or freshwater floating line should be just fine but if he will be doing more saltwater than fresh, I'd opt for a general saltwater line.  General all-around weight forward saltwater taper, redfish taper, whatever.  (Just not a double taper--she may need to know that, but I don't think anyone would sell her a double-taper.)

tperkins

Dec 5, 2017, 1:27:11 PM12/5/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Sounds like a reason to go visit Florida!

Andrew Sarcinello

Dec 5, 2017, 1:33:31 PM12/5/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Agree with what has been said so far, I'm by no means an expert on Florida but I've fished the gulf side a few times with An 8 wt TFO Clouser rod and have caught a handful of nice fish on that setup.  I paired it with a Lamson Liquid and Rio Smallmouth line,  I wouldn't take that line flats fishing because it is bright orange but the whole setup casts very well.  I tend to think freshwater would be easier to learn but a lot of lakes and rivers around there are very swampy so maybe not.  The main concern I'd have with someone learning fly fishing in the salt would be not finding fish and then adding the frustration of learning the casts on top of that.  If the guy is familiar with where to find fish then it would work, especially if he knows where to find ladyfish since they eat pretty much anything and are a great fight.

Miles

Dec 6, 2017, 10:10:22 AM12/6/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I have fished in that area a fair bit. St. Petersburg is not close to any good freshwater fisheries that I am aware of, but the saltwater fishing is excellent, like world class. He really should start with an outfit that's up to saltwater, even light saltwater.

An 8 weight is great but a 9 wt might be a little better - there are some big fish out there and the winds can be tough. A 10 wt would be overkill, I think. He can have a blast on an 8-wt going after ladyfish or speckled trout on beaches or flats most days, but a 9 wt. opens up some more days and some bigger fish - snook and reds can get big around there, and small tarpon. Fast taper, definitely - a low-to-mid priced rod in most cases won't have too fast a taper for a novice, in my experience. I use the Orvis All-Rounder line, but any similar floating line with an aggressive weight-forward taper for turning over flies in wind would be good.

Tangential to your main request: you might also recommend TPFR alum Jim Kammel, who moved down to that area and is a fishing guide. I've been out with him a couple times and had a lot of fun. If the guy has never fly-fished, Jim might be able to help him get into the sport. He has plenty of patience for newbies, so the boyfriend would learn a lot and have a good time. His website is http://thecatcherandthefly.com/thecatcherandthefly/

Miles

Gregg DiSalvo

Dec 7, 2017, 4:42:03 PM12/7/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Awesome.  Thank you all for the suggestions.  The suggestion of Jim is particularly interesting.  That IMO, may be the most viable solution as it allows him to have a better shot at fish while learning the art.  He can then take the skills and invest in an outfit if he finds fly fishing to be worthwhile...duh!  I passed this thread along to her and I think she has a much better idea of what to do.

Thanks!

Gregg