Salmon River NY

Terry C

Oct 8, 2013, 8:29:39 PM10/8/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Has anyone been up to the SR this year. I am thinking about a Trip up in Nov. or early Dec to steelhead fish. Need to give the new two hander a work out.

TomG

Oct 8, 2013, 9:26:32 PM10/8/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I'm up here right now. Lots of fresh salmon running after recent rains but also lots of fishermen. 20+ hookups today but only landed only 1. Broke my 12'6" Spey rod when snag on bottom broke loose and split shot hit tip. Will fish thru Thursday before returning to VA.

Terry C

Oct 11, 2013, 8:51:11 PM10/11/13
On Tuesday, October 8, 2013 9:26:32 PM UTC-4, TomG wrote:
> I'm up here right now. Lots of fresh salmon running after recent rains but also lots of fishermen. 20+ hookups today but only landed only 1. Broke my 12'6" Spey rod when snag on bottom broke loose and split shot hit tip. Will fish thru Thursday before returning to VA.

Tom, how did the trip turn out. Would like to hear about it.

TomG

Oct 11, 2013, 9:58:34 PM10/11/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Terry, arrived back in VA last night after fishing half a day yesterday. I had a very successful and fun fishing trip on the Salmon despite the crowds. As. I previously said when I started fishing on Tuesday the water level had come up from rIn the previous two days. This brought in fresh runs of salmon. I fished all day on Tuesday with salmon running all day. I guesstimate I hooked over 20 salmon but only landed 1 fish which turned out to be a Coho. Because of where I was fishing I was not able to chase these 20-30 lb salmon so I ended up losing all fish but one. Of all the fish I hooked I guess I probably fouled hooked half.

On Wednesday the water level had dropped but salmon were still running but not in the same numbers as Tuesday. I estimate I hooked about 10 salmon on this day and landed only one Chinook which I kept for the smoker.

Yesterday, Thursday, I fished until 1 pm and hooked 6 salmon and lost all of them when either they broke me off or the hooked popped out. Again it seemed that there were fewer fish moving through than the day before but still enough to keep it interesting.

The first two days all of the fish I saw caught were salmon but yesterday I saw some steelhead being caught. Also saw some brown trout at the cleaning station in Pulaski.

All three days I fished the same stretch of water of the Salmon River. I parked behind the Haldane Recreation Center in Pulaski just downstream of where I-81 crosses the river.

If you go up there any time soon I think you will still have shots at kings as well as steelhead and brown.

I have some photos but haven't quite figured out how to post them.

Smallies&Shad

Oct 13, 2013, 8:20:56 AM10/13/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
The Salmon River. Pulask-EYE New York.  Here is today's article in the Frederick News Post (Maryland) about an annual Salmon River outing of a local Frederick fly fishing club. Spoiler alert: you will go goggle eyed at the pic. Click it to make it bigger.  This outing occurred the weekend of October 4-6, 2013. No, I was not a part of it. Darn. Cheers.

http://www.fredericknewspost.com/news/environment/article_6b081318-7e18-53f8-a9d3-37041b541daa.html

HenryH

Oct 25, 2013, 8:51:47 AM10/25/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
We fished there October 12-13 and probably tied into about 50 fish between the three of us but only landed 5; all kings.  We did hook a couple of steelies that came off.  IT was crowded but manageable.  The crowd should be gone by now and we're planning to go up again the weekend of Nov. 9 for steelies!

Uncle Keith

Oct 27, 2013, 7:43:33 AM10/27/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Heading up now. Condititions seam ideal. I'll be fishing the SR and Oswego. Back Thursday. Alewife fly's for the SR. Egg fly's (12's & 10's; Oregon Cheese) for Oz.