最初の未読メッセージにスキップ

DaveSurfs

未読、
2015/10/27 11:49:262015/10/27
To: Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Good Morning TPFR,

I'm new to fly fishing, have a 9ft 5WT TFO Rod and TFO Prism reel. The guy I bought the (used) reel from said it had a "standard 5Wt weight forward line," but unfortunately I was not smart enough to ask what kind, or how long it's been on the reel?

It seems to cast reasonably, and I've caught a few bluegill, small mouth, and large mouth bass, but with Christmas a couple months away, I was thinking of making gift giving easy for my wife and asking for a new Fly line.

With that in mind, I see all sorts of WF5Wt options from Scientific Angler, Rio, Orvis, TFO, and others at prices ranging from $29 to $100... Any thoughts on what to buy? If you have a recommendation, would you please help me understand why you recommend A vs B?

Additionally, I've seen some commentary on going up 1 weight and putting a 6WT line on a 5WT Rod? Any thoughts there?

Thanks,
Dave

I apologize if this question is covered elsewhere in the forum and my searches didn't find something that's already posted.

Richard Farino

未読、
2015/10/27 12:03:162015/10/27
To: Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
What TFO rod is it?

Richard Farino

Urban Angler VA 108 N. Washington Street  2nd Floor | Alexandria, VA 22314 Google_Maps_Marker

(703) 527-2524 | fax: (703) 527-3313ric...@urbanangler.com  urban-signature-facebook  urban-signature-twitter

--
http://www.tpfr.org

Dave DiEugenio

未読、
2015/10/27 12:05:442015/10/27
To: tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
TFO Lefty Kreh Professional Series II.

Thanks,
Dave

--
http://www.tpfr.org

DaveSurfs

未読、
2015/10/27 12:07:172015/10/27
To: Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
TFO Lefty Kreh Professinoal Series II

Thanks,
Dave

From: Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders <tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com> on behalf of DaveSurfs <dave.di...@gmail.com>
Date: Tuesday, October 27, 2015 at 11:49 AM
To: Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders <tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com>
Subject: {Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Noob Question: Line Choice

[...]

Carl Smolka

未読、
2015/10/27 12:29:142015/10/27
To: tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com

Dave,

If you Google “which fly line” , there is a good article on this topic by Lefty Kreh and also one on the Orvis site. Lots of variables and lots of opinions.

Tight Lines,

Carl

From: Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders <tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com> on behalf of Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders <tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com>
Date: Wednesday, October 28, 2015 at 2:34 PM
To: Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders <tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com>
--
http://www.tpfr.org

TurbineBlade

未読、
2015/10/28 15:31:312015/10/28
To: Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
You mind if I have some of your tasty beverage to wash this down with?

Gene

On Wednesday, October 28, 2015 at 3:15:59 PM UTC-4, Richard Farino wrote:
Look at the BIG BRAIN on BRAD!

Richard Farino

Urban Angler VA 108 N. Washington Street  2nd Floor | Alexandria, VA 22314 Google_Maps_Marker

Auto Generated Inline Image 1
Auto Generated Inline Image 2

namfos

未読、
2015/10/29 8:21:022015/10/29
To: Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Or if you're cheap like me, keep your WF line on one inexpensive reel and your DT on another inexpensive reel. That way you don't have to fumble around with spare spools and it's less labor than unspooling.

Mark

On Tuesday, October 27, 2015 at 9:42:14 PM UTC-4, Carl wrote:
Some rules I work with are:

Dave J

未読、
2015/10/29 13:38:172015/10/29
To: Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
This is all interesting, for sure. More mass and velocity is better for distance, all else being equal. But is it all equal? Wouldn't heavier lines deform a given rod more as it bends, and therefore affect loop size, line speed, how much line you can carry, and how the rod recovers?

With respect -- to take your example, Gene, and flip it: instead of going to a three weight line, take an eleven weight line on whatever mid-weight example we're using here. I doubt you will throw a tight loop a great distance by overlining that much, just as I won't gain the advantage described by going down several line weights. Of course, taking it to extremes and *grossly* over- or underlining might not make either point... maybe instead that takes this all into other properties of physics and rod performance, magnifies problems in the casting stroke that screw things up in different ways... I don't know :)

As far as wind resistance by going up or down a line size, doesn't seem like it would matter much to me, but who knows.

So if you stay within the rod's performance window and slightly overline and compensate with stroke and hauling... couldn't you also slightly underline and do what Lefty describes? I've overlined and underlined rods before and played around with how they cast, but I can't say I've tried underlining specifically to gain distance in howling wind. Think I will try it when the wind kicks up again. Will probably just frustrate myself but maybe it will help. Or it won't :)

Matthew Longley

未読、
2015/10/29 13:58:112015/10/29
To: Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Hahaha - Dave, this is exactly what I meant.

I'm sure Gene is correct, that for his cast, overlining is better in wind. And Lefty Kreh... well Lefty Kreh is probably one of the foremost experts on fly fishing in the history of fly fishing, so its safe to assume his answer also has at least some truth to it.

At the end of the day, its about how you feel when casting, and the results you get from it. BTW, I would highly recommend asking others you are out fishing with to try casting their rigs as often as you can. I recently tried a buddy's rig and it was like turning on a light in a dark room - So that's the difference between fast and slow action!

TurbineBlade

未読、
2015/10/29 14:26:512015/10/29
To: Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I actually don't prefer overlining rods most of the time ;).  I generally stick with the line printed on the rod.  I've never really been a believer in the "overlining slows the rod's action down" idea.  I prefer to think of it as "making the rod cast as if it has more line out of the tip" since the action of the rod is always set (fast, med, slow, etc.).  In other words, a 7wt fenwick ff80 with a 8.5wt line casts (to me) like a 7wt fenwick ff80 with more fly line out of the tip....not so much "slower" like most people say, though I agree that timing is slower as you extend more line out.

Lefty has an excellent cast -- only a food would say otherwise.  I cast heavily in his style, so if anything I should buy into everything he says 100% and keep my mouth shut ;).

His answer absolutely has some truth to it -- a thinner line with have less wind resistance, but the overall suggestion is.....well, wrong.  It's not so much a difference of opinion, what he's saying is incorrect unless the laws of physics cease to exist for Lefty Kreh.  It's important to get facts straight sometimes.  I don't have the physics background, but I read that article once and immediately knew it wasn't right.  That's all.  ;)

This is WAY off topic now, but I think "slow" action fly rods are the best teachers for teaching how a rod loads and unloads because the feel and timing seem a bit easier to grasp.  I cast rods of every action and like them all at various times.

Gene

TurbineBlade

未読、
2015/10/29 14:43:132015/10/29
To: Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
While this is still totally derailed, I was thinking about casting style.  One of the things Lefty preaches is "If you ain't built like the instructor, you can't cast like the instructor", meaning he recognizes there are multiple casting styles which are all acceptable so long as the result is there.  But!  He then goes on to tell you things like "keep your elbow on a shelf" and "reach way back behind you to make a longer cast" and "use your whole body" and "keep your thumb behind the rod" and "so forth....essentially forcing you into his particularly style (and my style), when many, many people may be better served using a different style.

I took most of that stuff to heart and forced that style, which happens to work fine for me (but maybe not you!)....but I just prefer a different approach to beginner fly casting than his.

Gene

Howard Abramowitz

未読、
2015/10/29 16:11:232015/10/29
To: Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Dave,

To answer your questions: no it's not all equal, and yes different lines will affect rod performance. Despite this I'm still pretty sure a heavier line will be easier to cast in the wind, but I'm positive you'll find the experiment more meaningful than my explanation why. So I'll leave it there.

As for Lefty, he made a career fishing so good on him.

On Thursday, October 29, 2015 at 1:38:17 PM UTC-4, Dave J wrote:

Dave J

未読、
2015/10/29 16:45:392015/10/29
To: Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Thanks. And thinking about this stuff beats the hell out of working this afternoon!

Carl Z.

未読、
2015/10/30 21:22:242015/10/30
To: tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Dave,

I wouldn't buy used lines from ebay.  I purchased these from someone I  knew through a forum, but someone I have met and know how they take care of their equipment.  If you go to fly shows, some of the vendors will have used lines.  They usually get them when they buy reels and if they are any good, they strip them off. Then you can look at them and make sure they are not cracked and do not have a memory of being on the reel.

I usually buy these for casting practice or to round out the line weights I don't have and they go for $10-15. If they only last a half a season, I'm still ahead.

--
http://www.tpfr.org

DaveSurfs

未読、
2015/10/31 17:33:472015/10/31
To: Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Thanks Carl. I'll check'em out.
Best,
Dave

On Thu, Oct 29, 2015 at 8:21 AM, namfos <mark....@gmail.com> wrote:
Or if you're cheap like me, keep your WF line on one inexpensive reel and your DT on another inexpensive reel. That way you don't have to fumble around with spare spools and it's less labor than unspooling.

Mark

On Tuesday, October 27, 2015 at 9:42:14 PM UTC-4, Carl wrote:
Some rules I work with are:

 Spare spools of different reels are nice, but you can pull the line off and store it in a loose coil in a ziplock bag as well.  It isn't quick change but it doesn't take that much time to respool a line.

--
http://www.tpfr.org

Dalton Terrell

未読、
2015/11/02 10:39:222015/11/02
To: Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Howard, Gene and others,

A few of the casting nerds did some experimentation on underlining yesterday morning at the Fletcher's clinic. Our results weren't conclusive at all but we did theorize the potential reason Lefty said to underline: higher line speed.

We threw a 7wt rod with a 7wt bass line, and then dropped down to a 5wt trout line--not exactly an ideal comparison. But what we did notice is that we could push the rod more with the lighter line. Does this additional velocity overcome the disadvantages of less mass, who knows, but it may be possible? With either set up, I could somewhat calmly hit 75 ft or totally overdo the power and end up with a 75 ft pile cast, which says a lot more about my technique than the equipment.

Dalton

TurbineBlade

未読、
2015/11/02 11:04:142015/11/02
To: Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
That's interesting -- I can think of several times when I've brought the wrong fly line (usually the wrong "reel" I guess) for various species, and not had any problems casting as a result.  When I got steelheading at the end of this month I'll likely just bring a 7-weight line  for my 8-weight rod because I already have a 7-weight line spooled up and it casts just fine on that rod.

I can picture someone standing on a flat and making longer type casts with a rod underlined by 1 weight -- no doubt.  I was probably a bit harsh in my criticism.  I do think everyone and everything should be open to question though.

 I just don't think I would tell new casters who experience wind to start dropping fly line weights for the supposed benefits that only more advanced casters may experience (if at all).  That's just me.  Maybe that's what he intended -- I don't know.

I'm sorry I missed the cast!  We were fishing.  Here in another couple of weeks that will slow drastically, though now that I have Beth tying #22 zebra midges and Al's rats, we may hit a couple of choice spots this winter on occasion.  I'll probably start fishing once per week instead of 3-4 times.  I want to try to join in the future -- those Sunday casts were my first, honest attempt at casting my new (old) fly rod that "had the wrong line" on it ;).  John B. quickly dispelled that idea.

Gene

namfos

未読、
2015/11/03 10:34:512015/11/03
To: Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I'm excruciatingly familiar with that pile cast result.

;-)

Mark

Howard Abramowitz

未読、
2015/11/04 11:50:362015/11/04
To: Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Dalton, All

What you've done is interesting, but the question isn't can you cast 5 wt line on 7 wt rod, but can you cast that line better. You raise an interesting point about line speed, and I'll get to that below. However, if you have issues with control in calm conditions, I doubt they would improve in high wind.

Anyway, I had some slow time at work so I tried to solve the problem more rigorously. To start I found the following paper "Comparison of numerical and analytical solutions for fly casting dynamics":

 http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2FBF02859893

The paper has a simplified model for fly line dynamics that includes drag, but I had to modify it for the inclusion of wind.

I compared an 8wt line to a 7wt line in a 10 mph wind and a 15 m (~50 ft) cast in two conditions the first with the same initial velocity, and the second with the same initial kinetic energy. When the fly rod bends, it is storing energy (like a spring). The Lefty article suggests "proper loading" of the rod, which I'll assume that means the same amount of stored energy. Then assuming all of the stored energy is transferred to the line for the same cast they would have the same kinetic energy. I think this agrees with your observation of the 5 wt line on the 7 wt rod having very high line speeds.

The results of the modeling work are attached.

For the same initial velocity:
The results show, as expected, that the 8 wt line casts the full 15 m in less time and maintains its velocity throughout the cast better than the 7 wt line.

For the same initial kinetic energy:
I was surprised that the 7 wt line will completed the cast faster.  This supports Lefty's claim, but as the velocity plot shows, as the cast unfolds the velocity of the 7 wt drops below that of the 8 wt. The model does not include the turning over of the fly, and I would suspect that it would make it harder to do that with the lighter line.  However, I do concede that it raises the possibility that a lighter line could be more effective in some scenarios.

In conclusion:
Physics is hard. It took a lot of time to do all of this, and in the end the question was not satisfactorily answered one way or another. In no way do I think either one of those cases matches reality, and the model required many assumptions that I am less than confident in. Despite this, I still feel that the heavier line will be a better option in the wind. The factors that go into generating a "properly loaded" rod, and the ability to control the line as the speed increases, at least in my mind, are favored by the heavier line.  But my highly idealized model shows some room for the lighter line to actually be the better choice. I think this idea would work better for shorter rather than longer casts, but who knows.

Anyway, if anyone is interested in the model I did it in mathematica, send me a message and I'll send it to you.

Howard
ConstantVelocityCastVelocity.jpg
ConstantEnergyCastVelocity.jpg.jpg
ConstantEnergyCastLength.jpg
ConstantVelocityCastLength.jpg

TurbineBlade

未読、
2015/11/04 12:53:162015/11/04
To: Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Similarly to "Watership Down" when the rabbits are confronted with something so confusing that their minds instantly recoil from it (except for Blackberry), a response to this may be "oh hell.  I just want to cast and what works for me is darned fine!"

But, I do think this kind of stuff is interesting and I thank you for posting it.

Gene

TurbineBlade

未読、
2015/11/04 12:54:302015/11/04
To: Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
What I meant to transmit was that I do like thinking about confusing stuff like this.  Sometimes I don't think the internet gets your point across very well.

Gene

Greg Feder

未読、
2015/11/04 14:40:232015/11/04
To: tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
So, I was wondering why rabbits would find Blackberries easier to understand than iPhones, which have a much simpler interface.  Then I realized I need to spend more time reading books and less time with technology.

I really meant to respond to this thread to post this clip, which was my original reaction to Howard's post:  Talking Barbie: Math Class is Tough!

Cheers,

-- Greg