Patuxent River Trout Fishing

Cam Buglione

Feb 23, 2018, 1:43:45 PM2/23/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I received an email today that 800 Rainbow Trout were stocked in the Patuxent River in Montgomery County, MD.  I've never fly fished this river below and am relatively unfamiliar with it.  Would anyone be able to provide direction or recommendations on access points in Montgomery County?

Carl Smolka

Feb 23, 2018, 2:27:00 PM2/23/18
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com, carl....@verizon.net

Charlie Gelso and Larry Colburn’s book “Guide to Maryland Trout Fishing” (third edition) is an excellent source of information including parking, access and recommended flies.

Carl S.

--
http://www.tpfr.org

Cam Buglione

Feb 23, 2018, 3:15:34 PM2/23/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I was hoping to make it out on the water tomorrow so unfortunately I will not likely be able to purchase the book before then, but thank you for the recommendation Carl.  I will be sure to check that out

I guess with that in mind, does anyone know which side of the Patuxent (above Triadelphia Reservoir versus below the Damn) is typically stocked ?

namfos

Feb 24, 2018, 11:10:19 AM2/24/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Go up Georgia Ave to where it crosses the Patuxent, nortth of Olney. There's a parking lot on the left. https://binged.it/2ClImCu

Mark

Bob

Feb 24, 2018, 4:05:37 PM2/24/18
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Maryland provides maps:
http://gisapps.dnr.state.md.us/TroutStockingMap/
Sent from my iPhone

On Feb 24, 2018, at 11:10 AM, namfos <mark....@gmail.com> wrote:

Go up Georgia Ave to where it crosses the Patuxent, nortth of Olney. There's a parking lot on the left. https://binged.it/2ClImCu

Mark

--
http://www.tpfr.org

Andrew R

Feb 26, 2018, 12:33:21 PM2/26/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Probably a bit late to the game on this one, but which part of the Patuxent are you looking to fish? Mainstem, Middle or Little? If the latter, head to Savage Mill and fish from the bridge up about a mile and a half. There's alot of cool water in that stretch and I've found there to be holdovers from the fall stockings as well. Just a word of caution, the first couple days post stocking can be akin to combat fishing with alot of gear and bait guys out there as well.

Tight lines,

Andrew R

On Saturday, February 24, 2018 at 4:05:37 PM UTC-5, Bish wrote:
Maryland provides maps:
http://gisapps.dnr.state.md.us/TroutStockingMap/
Sent from my iPhone

On Feb 24, 2018, at 11:10 AM, namfos <mark....@gmail.com> wrote:

Go up Georgia Ave to where it crosses the Patuxent, nortth of Olney. There's a parking lot on the left. https://binged.it/2ClImCu

Mark

--
http://www.tpfr.org

ALarge

Feb 27, 2018, 5:55:20 PM2/27/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
IMO the best section is downstream of Hipsley Mill road. Sad part is there are so many poachers in this stretch. I've had words with one before - right in front of his daughter. He was clearly defensive and clearly didn't care about embarrassing his daughter. A better tactic is to keep your mouth shut and call a game warden - maybe snap a sneaky pic of the perp if you're so inclined.

namfos

Feb 28, 2018, 12:05:27 PM2/28/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Re poaching, from Maryland DNR, http://www.eregulations.com/maryland/fishing/addresses-phone-numbers/ :

Catch a Poacher 24-Hour hotline

Poaching deprives the public of the opportunity to use and enjoy Maryland’s natural resources. Preserving our natural resources for present and future enjoyment is everyone’s responsibility.

Citizens who use the poaching hotline to supply Maryland Natural Resources Police with information leading to the arrest and conviction of a poacher will be eligible to receive cash rewards.

Please provide names, addresses,
vehicle and boat descriptions and as much additional information as you can.

Your anonymity is guaranteed.

800-635-6124

On Tuesday, February 27, 2018 at 5:55:20 PM UTC-5, ALarge wrote:
 so many poachers in this stretch....A better tactic is to keep your mouth shut and call a game warden - maybe snap a sneaky pic of the perp if you're so inclined.

boatdrinks

Mar 6, 2018, 4:30:02 PM3/6/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I assume you're looking to fish the part in montgomery county?  Does anyone know if they stock above or below the brightman dam?

alan burrows

Mar 7, 2018, 8:39:49 AM3/7/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
There will be no stocking below Brighton Dam until the work on the dam is complete.  The 1550 Browns stocked yesterday and the rainbows stocked a week or so ago are all above the reservoir.