Intro and surprise catch Thursday night

Andrew Sarcinello

Nov 21, 2015, 11:16:06 AM11/21/15
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Hey all,

My name is Andrew and my buddy told me about the beer ties, I have been to 3 so far and they are awesome. Love the idea. Slowly getting to know some of you!

A brief intro...I'm originally from the Philly area, went to PSU and moved to northern VA for work last fall. At PSU I worked at a place on campus called Adventure Recreation and taught a few people the basics of fly fishing. Really enjoy helping others learn when I'm not out of my element myself! Down here things are very different and I am back in the learner's role. Looking forward to meeting more of you guys and hopefully being able to help out where I can.

My first love is small stream wild trout fishing, but I'll go after anything and have a good time. Got into some shad this spring and had a blast, and found some good smallmouth fishing this summer. This fall has treated me very well with trout and I caught my personal best wild brown and a wild tiger trout in the span of a week.

Now for a fish story. My buddy told me to fish with him at "that spot near the airport" on the tidal river so I met him there Thursday after work. We got there at sunset and by the time we were fishing it was dark, which kind of concerned me since I had not been to this spot yet.

He caught a small striper right away, his first on a fly, and 10 minutes later I hooked into something. He didn't believe me when I said I didn't think it was a striper...it just wasn't fighting hard. I couldn't see it and I thought it was a 10" largemouth. Then I got it into the light of my headlamp and my jaw dropped...it was a really nice walleye! My first walleye on a fly, where I least expected it. 20-21 inches!

I have a pic if anyone would like to share how to post pics. TIA

John Bilotta

Nov 21, 2015, 5:50:26 PM11/21/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Welcome and that's terrific.
See you on the water.
John

Sent from my iPhone
> --
> http://www.tpfr.org
> ---

GSFeder

Nov 21, 2015, 8:44:53 PM11/21/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Andrew, to post pics, just attach to an email and reply to your original post.

Cheers,

-- Greg

Sent from my iPhone

namfos

Nov 22, 2015, 2:54:10 PM11/22/15
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
As some of my hardware slinging acquaintances might say: "Them's good eatin'!" ;-)

Mark

On Saturday, November 21, 2015 at 11:16:06 AM UTC-5, Andrew Sarcinello wrote:
Hey all,

My name is Andrew ...it was a really nice walleye!

Yambag Nelson

Nov 22, 2015, 5:03:46 PM11/22/15
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Would you really eat something that was caught there?

Andrew Sarcinello

Nov 22, 2015, 10:03:46 PM11/22/15
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Greg, thanks for the help with pics.  I did not see how to do that until I clicked "desktop" at the bottom of the page. Pics should be attached!

I released it out of habit, haven't kept anything in probably 10 years.  then a few people asked me if I kept it and only then did I remember how good they taste.  If I catch another I'd be tempted to keep it...but I'd prefer that if I'm gonna kill and eat a fish that it is a snakehead ;)

On Saturday, November 21, 2015 at 11:16:06 AM UTC-5, Andrew Sarcinello wrote:
EyeOnFly.JPG
IMG_0411.jpg

namfos

Nov 23, 2015, 11:14:35 AM11/23/15
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Yambag, I should qualify that as saying my hardware slinger friends referred to are from  the Twin Cities, Easton PA and eastern Ontario.

One a month ought not be too deleterious to one's health. "The dose makes the poison."

Mark

TurbineBlade

Nov 23, 2015, 11:58:19 AM11/23/15
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Oh, eating fish out of the river is fine.  I do it all the time, and look at me!

John Bilotta

Nov 23, 2015, 11:59:49 AM11/23/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
plaid camo - looks good.

--
http://www.tpfr.org

Carl Z.

Nov 26, 2015, 10:33:11 PM11/26/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Walleye are not too bad to keep, even when big.  They don't carry a lot of body fat which is where the icky stuff accumulates.

I always enjoyed reading the Illinois and Indiana fishing proclamations with the warnings on the trout in lake michigan.  Do not consume more than 1 king salmon over 22 inches  (none for children or if pregnant).