Recommended lines for Orvis Access 6wt?

William Hea

Oct 1, 2020, 12:32:54 AM10/1/20
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I have an Orvis Access 6 wt  fast tip flex I purchased a few years ago and I have a love/hate relationship with the rod. It fun to cast with a skagit head, but the Clearwater 6 wt fly line I have on it feels like casting a broom. I've toyed around with an old 7/8 wt line I have around and that's a little better.

In an ideal world, this would be my bass and streamer rod for trout, but I frankly don't enjoy fishing it without the skagit head at this point.

I'm not sure if anyone has experience with the Access rods (they don't seem that fondly remembered on the interwebs) but if there's a good line pairing or recommendation for consistency I'd love to try and get some life out of it.
-Will

Josh Cohn

Oct 1, 2020, 11:27:09 AM10/1/20
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
See if you can find out how many grains its rated for and go by that instead of having to guess off generic line WT's, which often vary by brand.

James McCeney

Oct 1, 2020, 11:59:12 AM10/1/20
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Definitely agree with Josh - weights, tapers, and head construction vary significantly by manufacturer and type of line, and aren't always what they seem.  For example: you would think the Orvis superfine lines would be a bit underweight to allow for lighter presentation on the slower glass and carbon rods.  Nope.  They're actually more than a full weight heavier, if I remember correctly (see citation below).  I know this because I was going to put it on my 6.5'3wt Scott F2 because I loved it on my Superfine Glass 7'3wt.  I went with a RIO gold, and it is outstanding for that rod.  The superfine line is also a key part of the magic of the superfine rods - those things are a blast and the line contributes significantly to that feel.

Trident did a line shootout a few years back, which is where I found out about this.  This is probably old hat now, but might still be helpful.

With all that said, let me throw in an unorthodox recommendation: I honestly think it might be worth trying out the Superfine line for your Access.  It shoots great, and the presentation isn't even close to what you'd think a heavily overlined finesse line should be.  It's pretty delicate and nice, and doesn't feel quite as heavy as other overlined lines like RIO outbound or some of the heavier SA lines.

Tight lines and have fun

- J

--
http://www.tpfr.org

Josh Cohn

Oct 1, 2020, 2:54:11 PM10/1/20
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Bro those Rio Gold lines are solid all arounders, took one from Montana Cutthroat to Charleston Reds with quite a few Potomac Smallies inbetween on a 6/7 set up.

& those trident shootout articles were my bible when I was rounding out the quiver, unrreal amount of good info in them.

Tom Steeley

Oct 1, 2020, 4:01:03 PM10/1/20
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
My two cents.  Tip flex/fast action rods should do better with a shorter head.  I recommend you head to District Angling and pick up a Titan floating line for starters.

The 6 wt Titan will give you 210 grains in the first 30 feet and should be optimal for that rod.  I have a 6wt Douglas Sky which should be very similar to what you have and the combination of fast action and the Titan is butter.

I believe optimal size fly for this setup is size 2 poppers and streamers.