DC Fishing Licence - electric copy ok?

stevea...@gmail.com

Jun 30, 2018, 8:19:59 PM6/30/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I applied and paid for a DC fishing licence a few weeks ago but haven’t received the card in the mail.

When I paid for it the website seemed to indicate that I should take a screenshot for record. Is an electronic copy of the DC license OK or do I need to wait for the card to turn up?

It seems a lot less transparent than VA which has a very nice app based system...

John Hammill

Jun 30, 2018, 8:38:53 PM6/30/18
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
DC is horrible for on-line for licenses. I once purchased one, they charged me 4 times, I never got it, then I got an email from a DC employee asking me to please send pdf’s of the charges via email and also to MAIL THEM copies. Thank God for a good credit card company! This was pre-2010, by which time Mayor Fenty has cleaned up the DMV and the website and put in bike lanes.

If you have a bee in your bonnet to fish, you can obtain one at Fletcher’s Boathouse on Canal Road. I’m not sure what their hours are this weekend and next week though. I’d call first.

--
http://www.tpfr.org

Jeff Cook

Jun 30, 2018, 9:16:34 PM6/30/18
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I did mine in May online and printed it out. No problems, done in 5 minutes. The printout is legal, but it does have to visible while you fish.

John Hammill

Jun 30, 2018, 9:22:13 PM6/30/18
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Great news!

Sent from my iPhone

stevea...@gmail.com

Jul 1, 2018, 5:39:41 PM7/1/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Update on this: went to fletchers planning on just buying a ne license there and mentioned we’d been waiting a while for the license to get mailed but it hadn’t arrived - they said DC doesn’t mail them out and you’re supposed to just print it out, which I had done based on Jeff’s post.

Problem solved!

westbrid...@gmail.com

Jul 2, 2018, 8:57:25 AM7/2/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
To add to this Topic,  I was actually checked by a DC police officer on the Jefferson memorial this spring and did not have a copy of my license printed with me(  i switched bags and forgot to move it)  I was able t pull up my confirmation email up on my phone and it was all good.  Might be different if you get checked by someone on the river as i don't think the DC police really know much about fishing.  I think the regs actually say it must be on you and displayed the whole time.  But I have had this happen in VA MD and Now DC and never had a problem with the electronic copy.

Scott Stankus

Jul 2, 2018, 9:22:40 AM7/2/18
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
When I purchased my DC license earlier this year, I received my license via email. The email clearly states that an electronic copy is sufficient. See below:

Thank you for purchasing a 2018 District of Columbia Sport Fishing License! Attached to this email is a copy of your license. You must retain a copy of this license on your person when fishing in District of Columbia waters. Please note: you are not required to have a hardcopy of this license, if you are able to present it electronically (e.g., on a smart phone or tablet). Please be sure to review the 2016 Fish Consumption Advisory, included with your license; this Advisory is currently in effect.

--
http://www.tpfr.org

"There are 10 types of people in this world, those who know binary, and those who don't"

Rex Moore

Jul 2, 2018, 9:40:51 AM7/2/18
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
“You must still display your license at all times by taping your iPhone to your forehead and disabling the phone’s auto-off feature."

namfos

Jul 3, 2018, 10:52:21 AM7/3/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
ROFLMAO