FLETCHER'S UPDATE - and THANK YOU to the NPS!!!

Daniel Davala

Feb 25, 2015, 6:02:21 AM2/25/15
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
To All TPFRers

As you all know, in response to the closing of Fletcher's Cove late last fall, an enormous effort was launched to help restore the Cove to safe use, and protect all of or access to this phenomenal resource.  If you are new to the group, check out this link for more context and back story:  https://groups.google.com/d/msg/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/suJLselliDk/TTpicQeGcEkJ

Out of this effort, a coalition was formed which is now formally known as "Friends of Fletcher's Cove".   FFC has worked hard for and received tremendous support and cooperation from the National Park Service and would like to thank them for their commitment to this cause and their prompt action.  Attached is a letter to NPS Superintendent Kevin Brandt that was just sent out doing just that.

I'd like to thank everyone who has supported FFC from the onset, and everyone here at TPFR who signed the petition back in December to help add fuel to the effort.  You can count on TPFR being a partner of FFC for a long time and we will certainly answer the call to help however and whenever needed.

Thanks again for all of your continued interest, support, and action.

Dan Davala
Ltr To Brandt (NPS), npm signed Feb24, 2015.PDF

namfos

Feb 25, 2015, 9:20:32 AM2/25/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
A tip of the hat and many thanks for putting pen to paper (does that have meaning anymore?), Nicholas, for a nicely composed letter. Clear, cogent and concise.

Mark

Terry C

Feb 26, 2015, 8:29:32 AM2/26/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
It's reassureing that at least one governmental agency can work effectively and efficiently. Thanks to all the efforts by everyone involved.

TurbineBlade

Feb 26, 2015, 8:47:43 AM2/26/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Most agencies can be made to work effectively when there's an immense amount of political pressure from people who wear suits into DC on weekdays.

I suspect in this case several Congressmen have buddies who griped about the potential loss of access and a lot of things were moved along as a result.

Whatever works -- I admit that I did not read the actual reports about how the fix was achieved.  Did they simply build a better dock on top of the mud pile, or did they get people to come and and remove some of the mud and take it a couple of hundred feet and dump it in a pile somewhere nearby (a la Anacostia River >> Kingman Island project)?

Gene