Traveling by air with fly rods

Bob Richey

Jan 22, 2018, 1:58:54 PM1/22/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Does anyone here have any advice on traveling with fly rods by air?  Do most people check them in their bags, or carry them in the cabin? If you've carried them on, is it ever a problem getting them on past security or the size limit for carry on bags?
Thanks.

tperkins

Jan 22, 2018, 2:06:31 PM1/22/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I carry a 4 piece rod with me on almost all flights I take. I have had no issue, even when flying abroad. The only issue I have ever had was with my fly reels, TSA was on high alert and didn't like the way my fly reels appeared on x-ray, but after seeing what they were I was allowed to continue on with no extra hassle.

Dalton Terrell

Jan 22, 2018, 3:35:12 PM1/22/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Bob,

Here is the TSA webpage on fishing tackle: https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/whatcanibring/items/fishing-pole

If I recall correctly, the old version of this page used to be more specific and indicated that all flies to be carried on. Now it seems there is a relative size restriction on flies--small flies are ok but large hooks are not; your guess is as good as mine as to how they may treat large saltwater flies or streamers under this policy.

I personally haven't had a problem carrying on fly rods and reels at least 6-8 trips a year, but have a fishing buddy who was forced to check his reels or throw away his leader/line/backing at the security checkpoint; presumably because he could choke someone with it?

Dalton

Lane Thurgood

Jan 22, 2018, 5:24:05 PM1/22/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I generally carry on my rods and reels (loaded with line) and basic necessities like tippet and flies.  I print out and hand carry with me the TSA page and did show it one time at BWI when my rod tube was pulled aside for separate screening.  But even then the guy said, "Oh yeah, I know fishing rods are ok, we just have to check for pool cues."

In short, I have never run into trouble carrying on rod, reel, line, flies.  BUT I have heard enough horror stories about line and saltwater flies that in the past couple of years, I have generally checked my saltwater flies.  And sometimes, I have just packed my vest/fanny-pack with forceps/nippers in checked baggage.  Never had an issue, but I have worried about it.

I also own three 5-piece rods (with this week's addition of an 8-weight) for the express purpose of packing them in luggage because I always fear running into issues (but I haven't ever run into issues with my 4-piece rods).

Bob Richey

Jan 23, 2018, 8:15:12 AM1/23/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Thanks Dalton and everyone else who commented.  For those of you who carry on, do you use your aluminum rod tubes, or something else?

tperkins

Jan 23, 2018, 8:24:34 AM1/23/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I just use the rod tube. I have looked at the cases that hold multiple rods, and reels and such, but don't fly with multiple rods enough to justify it. The nice thing about using just the rod tube is that I have always been able to fit it in a overhead bin even if I am one of the last to board. I have also had a flight attendant offer to take my rod tube as I board and keep it in a closet, but that has only happened once.

October Caddis

Jan 23, 2018, 8:53:54 AM1/23/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I've flown many, many times with a rod tube or tubes with no trouble. On one occasion a gate attendant claimed that I had three carry on items (tube, briefcase, small suitcase) but relented when shown the TSA recommendations.

Aden

Jan 23, 2018, 9:02:17 AM1/23/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
If the smurfs ever give you trouble for an allowed item ask for a supervisor immediately. The only qualification to be a screener is a GED and an attitude. They make up the rules as they go. The supervisor, usually, is better trained. Also, as flight crew I go through tsa multiple times a day at many different airports. Every airport has different rules even though they have the same playbook. It just depends on which blueberry you deal with. So, one airport might let you pass no problem but another may not. Just have a backup plan.

robert mills

Feb 8, 2018, 3:56:34 PM2/8/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Slow to reply but some countries, especially in central and south america have strict guidelines for fishing equipment that requires them to be checked. From personal experience Argentina and Costa Rica will not allow, rods, reels, lines, or hooks in the cabin.

Andrew R

Feb 12, 2018, 3:26:04 PM2/12/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders

See above as well. This topic comes up on the forum every several months. I used to be very OCD about my rods (transporting in separate PVC pipes in a golf bag) but unless I'm traveling with a spey rod or more than two rods, I typically just bring them onboard my flights now. Haven't ever had an issue.

Andrew R

Jason O

Feb 12, 2018, 4:50:39 PM2/12/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Always carry on my rod in a tube with no issues. Just clip it onto my carry on backpack so I don’t leave it somewhere. All my other gear goes in checked baggage as I don’t want to deal with liquids, white powders, and hundreds of flies being inspected. Usually carry on my reel as well, but might not be a bad idea to check it as well as long as you’re not carrying a super expensive Abel and worries someone will recognize it’s worth.

Bob Richey

Feb 13, 2018, 10:47:46 AM2/13/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Thanks Andrew.  I have a flight coming up to Belize I'm trying to prepare for.  More than anything, I'd expect hassle about trying to bring aluminum tubes on the plane rather than the rods themselves.  Having had bags lost, I hate the idea of checking the rods, even with a TSA lock on the bag.