Striped Bass/Smallmouth Bass

Brian Ibanez

Nov 21, 2016, 8:30:07 PM11/21/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Hi all,

Haven't posted in a while but I used to live in Potomac MD and will be coming back home for Thanksgiving.  Curious to see if anyone has any Striper reports in the area and if they wouldn't mind helping a brother out.

I am pretty keyed into the fishing in the Northeast so if anyone is in the area and wants to fish the Western Long Island Sound give me a shout my Instagram is:

brianibanez

Also, anyone getting into any smallies?  I see the river is low and should be wade-able but water temps are also dropping.

Anyways thanks and tight lines!

Brian

Yambag Nelson

Nov 22, 2016, 9:05:09 AM11/22/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I haven't gotten out for stripers this fall as much as I have the last couple years, but for me it was not a great year. Had a couple of ok days numbers wise but haven't found the nicer fish like I have in the past. A couple days I went out and expected to do well and got skunked.

Andrew Sarcinello

Nov 22, 2016, 10:17:25 AM11/22/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I lost what I think was a big striper last week, but that was before the latest cold snap. Before that, I was only catching fish up to 12".

Andrew Sarcinello

Nov 22, 2016, 3:19:28 PM11/22/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
^I was fishing at night around some bridge lights when I hooked the big fish.

Brian Ibanez

Nov 22, 2016, 8:00:06 PM11/22/16
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I might check out Violettes Lock, not sure if its too fast moving there.  Water temps look to be mid 40s so it's pretty cold.  Could always fish the canal if nothing is doing.

What flies do you guys think I should try?

--
http://www.tpfr.org

Yambag Nelson

Nov 23, 2016, 8:34:43 AM11/23/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
If I'm fishing for stripers I rarely use anything other than clousers.

Andrew Sarcinello

Nov 30, 2016, 5:05:14 PM11/30/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I went to my usual spot last night and though there were still small baitfish around dimpling the surface in the bridge lights, no signs of schoolies or other fish eating them. Caught a 6" yellow perch on a size 2 clouser though.