Cheeky Schoolie Tourney

Greggory DiSalvo

Jan 24, 2017, 5:57:47 PM1/24/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Has anybody here ever done the Cheeky Schoolie Tournament?  I've been following it the past few years and it looks like a lot of fun.  Kinda a pain to make the trip I'd imagine, but am wondering if there are any first-hand accounts.  Experiences?

Gregg

TurbineBlade

Jan 24, 2017, 7:26:38 PM1/24/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
No, but I've spent a fair amount of time fishing for stripers while wearing tattered jeans and a shirt with the sleeves ripped off.

Gene

Remick

Jan 31, 2017, 9:59:38 PM1/31/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Hey Gregg!

I fished the tournament last year and will be doing so again this year. It is an absolute blast ran by great folks and solid sponsors.

If you're going to do it, I'd recommend pre-fishing a day or two before the tournament. Last year I was able to pre-fish a couple days before the crowds arrived (340 total participants invade Denis on tournament day) and got to experience my first cinder worm hatch on the first evening, in addition to some spectacular skinny water bass antics in the days leading up to the event. While the big fish eluded us on the day of the event (as is life), it was a really fun time in a really cool place.

The logistics of the trip are pretty easy ...finding the winning fish that's the hard part...I'd recommend flying into Boston or Providence that Thursday night, renting a car, and booking a hotel room in the vicinity of Denis, MA. That way you can pre-fish AND hit the Tournament Pre-Party on Friday all while only missing one day of work. There are some inexpensive motels in and around Denis that can fit the budget if split with your teammate. In terms of cost, it'll probably be a trip in the $300-500 range per person for the weekend including airfare, lodging, rental car, etc.

Hope this helps!

Stay fly,
Rem

arthur...@gmail.com

Feb 1, 2017, 12:28:57 PM2/1/17
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
That looks awesome! Cinder work hatch is on my angling bucket list.

Art

Sent from my iPhone
--
http://www.tpfr.org

Remick

Feb 1, 2017, 3:36:41 PM2/1/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Cinder worm hatch is a lot of fun. Sort of creepy seeing thousands of them swimming around you but it's definitely something to be experienced. Key is to barely keep your fly moving.

Steven Butler

Feb 2, 2017, 8:12:30 AM2/2/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Strongly considering this, looks like a blast. If anyone is on the fence and interested in a possible carpool let me know! Though I'm guessing the striper whisperer's success will be tough to match.

Ashley Frohwein

Feb 3, 2017, 12:07:52 PM2/3/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Steven - hit me up; I'm interested. Some of the participants (maybe 1-2) in the PHWFF Ft. Meade group I volunteer at may be heading up too.

Greggory DiSalvo

Feb 3, 2017, 1:40:16 PM2/3/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Rem,  Phenomenal!  I think I will be signing up in the coming years.  I am planning on trying a few spots n Northern Mass and Southern NH this spring, summer, and/or fall which should give me some flats experience for these beasts.  I am particularly impressed by that one picture of the  behemoth of a fish, but I almost didn't see it as the sheer awesomeness of the hair and racing jacket commanded my attention.  Thanks for responding and giving some good details.  Makes me wish I had planned on it this year!

Cheers,

Gregg