Susquehanna below Harrisburg

Paul Sarigianis

Aug 22, 2019, 1:04:15 PM8/22/19
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Hey guys,

My kids, 12 and 14, both love to fly-fish, particularly for smallies. We are headed to the Lancaster, PA area next weekend and was wondering if you had any recommendations on places to wade and fish. I was going to try the Falmouth boat launch first. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks very much.

Paul

Gregg DiSalvo

Aug 22, 2019, 4:01:07 PM8/22/19
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I had a little luck in a pre meeting 30 minute session right across from Lancaster in Wrightsville.  I parked under the rt30 bridge and waded around a bit.  Not a ton of space, but was able to find a few fish.  Further south, there appears to be aboat launch with some open shore, but I have no idea how the wading is there.

Fly Fish

Aug 22, 2019, 7:31:24 PM8/22/19
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
You may want to call Susquehanna Fishing Tackle. They are well versed in the smallmouth game on the river.

--
http://www.tpfr.org

Matt S.

Aug 23, 2019, 10:20:10 AM8/23/19
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Not Lancaster but sort of within striking distance:

French Creek is a pretty trout stream near Phoenixville (to the east) and should be wadeable. Call French Creek Outfitters for advice.

It’s probably too hot for trout on Quittapahilla Creek in Annville, but if you do this in winter or spring it would fit the bill.

Call a tackle shop and ask they’d have local knowledge.

Tight lines!

Andrew Sarcinello

Aug 23, 2019, 11:05:11 AM8/23/19
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
By most accounts the Susquehanna fishing has been way off this summer. It is also difficult to wade except in select areas (I'm not the person to ask about where though, I've always fished it from a boat). I'd recommend the Conestoga River instead - it should be decent as long as there hasn't been much rain in the couple days before you fish it.  Much easier to wade with kids.

Good luck!