Tidal basin 5/17

Andrew LaVigne

May 17, 2014, 10:56:30 PM5/17/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Hey folks, been following for a couple seasons now, but this will be my first real report. sorry if the pics don't work.

I hit the basin today around 10am to find the incoming tide and high river pushing water over the walls in a big way, and carp and goldfish were up and splashing around on the flooded grass by the Jefferson. Fish were crashing around in inches of water, tourists were going nuts....but i had very little interest from fish in eating. Tried buggers, nymphs, sort of a crayfish pattern, rubber worm, even a bonefish fly, fish just were too busy (spawning behavior, maybe?)

I ran into a couple other fly fisherman in the first 2 hours, and none of us had much luck while the fish were in berserker mode. Once things settled down, though, things got good. I landed 4 sizeable carp (with net assists from some guys fishing for dinner), 3 of which were pushing 10lbs or better, and had a bunch of overachieving white perch and bluegill throughout the afternoon.. Black, brown, and olive buggers were getting hits, fished slow and towards the bottom. Also had several fish get foul-hooked; with as many as there were moving around, it was sort of inevitable.

Hit it while you can with the high water, and enjoy the circus down there. One guy from a group of Chinese tourists even waded into the floodwater and barehanded captured a goldfish that had to be 3 lbs.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Message has been deleted

Aaron O

May 18, 2014, 9:16:58 AM5/18/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Hey Andrew,

     Nice first post.  Great photos.  Super envious about the carp.  I've caught a bunch of fish there but need any carp.  Still on my bucket list.  I'm assuming that you were still sight fishing for them when as you say "Once things settled down".  I got to say that every time I've tried to sight fish for carp, they've completely ignored me and my flies.  Next time your thinking about fishing the basin and you may want company, let me know.  I would like to watch and hopefully learn a better way to go after them.

Thanks,

Aaron

Andrew LaVigne

May 18, 2014, 9:58:47 AM5/18/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I wish I could call it 'sight-fishing to specific fish'', but it was mostly just working the fly through the high-traffic areas. I'd see fish splashing on the surface, and from watching earlier knew there would be fish underneath moving slower and feeding. The fish I caught were all a little off shore, maybe15 feet, not the closest to the shore.

TurbineBlade

May 27, 2014, 9:02:45 AM5/27/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Somehow I missed this post from a while back -- those are absolute monster carp!  Wow -- I need to bike in to the tidal basin and try things out some time.

Gene

tperkins

Jun 7, 2014, 4:02:07 PM6/7/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Hey Andrew,
Nice meeting you today. Hope you got into some fish!

-Thomas