The Feather Thief: Beauty, Obsession, and the Natural History Heist of the Century

302 vues

Dalton Terrell

non lue,
30 mai 2018, 10:33:2930/05/2018
à Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Anyone else read The Feather Thief by Kirk Wallace Johnson?

Back in 2010, I first heard of the story of Edwin Rist stealing rare bird skins from a British Museum to sell or use for Atlantic Salmon flies either on this google group or another fishing blog. The story was pretty intriguing or odd, as the primary "expensive" feathers I was aware of were chicken saddle hackles for dry flies and streamers. The story of this heist kind of fell off the map and was reignited in this new best selling book.

I thought the book was a great read and included tons of details on Rist, the heist, and speculation on the current status of his loot. There were a couple maddening ignorant references for fishermen, including a reference to salmon spawning and then dying while the book is actually written about flies for Atlantic Salmon--fish that spawn and return; but otherwise I very much enjoyed the tale.

Dalton

tperkins

non lue,
30 mai 2018, 10:39:4130/05/2018
à Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I read it as well, very intriguing and I hadn't really thought abut the shadier side of fly tying that exists.  Also makes me feel better about spending $20-30 on some feathers. Outside has an excerpt from the book: https://www.outsideonline.com/2298586/feather-thief-excerpt

Gregg DiSalvo

non lue,
30 mai 2018, 12:03:4530/05/2018
à Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
it's been in my cart on amazon for a few weeks now ever since thomas shared the outside piece on it.  Listened to the orvis podcast with the author (I think it was the orvis podcast).

On Wednesday, May 30, 2018 at 10:33:29 AM UTC-4, Dalton Terrell wrote:

Bob Richey

non lue,
30 mai 2018, 13:33:1630/05/2018
à Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I have it on my kindle and I'm waiting to read it on vacation next week.

On Wednesday, May 30, 2018 at 10:33:29 AM UTC-4, Dalton Terrell wrote:

Cadillac Williams

non lue,
30 mai 2018, 15:38:1130/05/2018
à Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Just started it last night.  So far the part about the British explorer/naturalist is prettay, prettay good.

On Wednesday, May 30, 2018 at 10:33:29 AM UTC-4, Dalton Terrell wrote:

namfos

non lue,
5 juin 2018, 13:52:5505/06/2018
à Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Damn fine read. And interesting complement to one of my books,

Rare and Unusual Fly Tying Materials: A Natural History. Volume 1 by Paul Schmookler & Ingrid V. Sils

Mark

namfos

non lue,
5 juin 2018, 14:08:1205/06/2018
à Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
BTW,.I'd be happy to bring this by the Beer Tie on Monday.
Image result for Rare and Unusual Fly Tying Materials: A Natural History

namfos

non lue,
6 juin 2018, 09:23:4206/06/2018
à Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders

One of Rist's ties

tperkins

non lue,
6 juin 2018, 09:34:2006/06/2018
à Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Bluegills would tear that up.

namfos

non lue,
7 juin 2018, 15:51:1607/06/2018
à Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I think bluegill, singular, would do it. And flush who knows how many hours and how many dollars for materials down the loo.

Mark

Bob Richey

non lue,
15 août 2018, 08:50:4615/08/2018
à Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Just bumping this thread to link to a This American Life episode about Rist: https://www.thisamericanlife.org/654/the-feather-heist

On Wednesday, May 30, 2018 at 10:33:29 AM UTC-4, Dalton Terrell wrote:

spst...@gmail.com

non lue,
15 août 2018, 15:42:0415/08/2018
à tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com

Bob, wow. I just listened to the podcast and I’m blown away. The worst part for me seems to be the community’s desire to keep the feathers and delete Kirk’s post pleading for them to be returned.

I love cool / beautiful flies – not as a fly tier but as a novice fly fisherman / angler – but this whole situation makes me want to puke as someone who loves nature, conservation, and history. Oh, and international law and civil society.

I’ll get off my soap box now.

-Sean

P.S. Where can one procure a cool TPFR hat? I saw one in a posted photo but don’t see any links on the website.

--
http://www.tpfr.org

Howard Abramowitz

non lue,
15 août 2018, 16:51:0215/08/2018
à Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Speaking of civil society how about not giving away the ending to a podcast that came out less than a week ago.

On Wednesday, August 15, 2018 at 3:42:04 PM UTC-4, Sean Steele wrote:

[...]

15 août 2018, 17:20:4915/08/2018
à tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com

Sh*t. That’s my bad Howard (and everyone else).

If I spoiled it for you, I’ll buy you a beer…

-Sean

http://www.tpfr.org

Dalton Terrell

non lue,
20 août 2018, 10:26:3120/08/2018
à Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Hey Sean,

We have plenty of TPFR hats but don't have an online store--the logistics are a total pain. I'll bring some to the next Beer Tie if that works; they're offered for the low price of $20.

Dalton

Gregg DiSalvo

non lue,
20 août 2018, 12:16:5020/08/2018
à Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Dalton, count me in for a hat.  I think it's about time.

On Wednesday, May 30, 2018 at 10:33:29 AM UTC-4, Dalton Terrell wrote:

Terry C

non lue,
10 sept. 2018, 09:28:2810/09/2018
à Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Picked up the book last weekend and sailed through it .  Great story .  I have a feeling the judge might have been a fly tier with the light sentence he gave Rist.  Wish I had my grandmothers old hats. Remember seeing black and white photos of her with birds on her head.

Terry C

non lue,
10 sept. 2018, 09:29:2010/09/2018
à Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I thought that was yours.

On Wednesday, June 6, 2018 at 9:23:42 AM UTC-4, namfos wrote:

namfos

non lue,
10 sept. 2018, 13:13:5210/09/2018
à Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
LOL!

namfos

non lue,
10 sept. 2018, 13:15:1210/09/2018
à Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
He probably had his very own beat on a Scottish salmon river....

Miles

non lue,
11 sept. 2018, 10:21:5311/09/2018
à Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I listened to the TAL episode a couple weeks ago with my wife. She kept asking me if fly tyers really get that obsessed over rare feathers, and why? I said, sadly, yes, and as best I can figure, it was some kind of status competition. I get the artistry of the flies, but not the fixation on materials - especially when we have so much new stuff available to us. I think the salmon tying community behaved pretty shabbily throughout.

One of the things I have always liked about this group - really the spirit Dan brought to it - was the absence of that sort of elitist bullcrap. Stuff like the bluegill tournament, which I think is awesome. I really appreciate that about TPFR.

Miles

Daniel Davala

non lue,
11 sept. 2018, 10:40:1511/09/2018
à Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Awe, thanks Miles!!  It truly warms my heart to read the words you just wrote about TPFR.  Thank you and all the other active TPFRers for keeping that spirit alive and well!!  I look in on you all pretty much every day and I am continually proud and pleased with what the club is and has become.

Hope to make a BEER TIE in the not too distant future - I will definitely let you all know of any trips south!

Miss you all!!

Dan

--
http://www.tpfr.org