Micro Fishing

tperkins

Oct 27, 2016, 10:47:24 AM10/27/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
On NPR this morning:

"Catching the biggest fish usually comes with the biggest bragging rights, but now a new breed of anglers working to hook those at the other end of the spectrum. The catch might not be as big, the bragging rights are."

http://www.npr.org/2016/10/27/498406364/little-fish-tales-micro-fishers-focus-on-the-species-not-size

TurbineBlade

Oct 27, 2016, 11:00:48 AM10/27/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I'm a Missourian and am a bit rusty, but that darter looks a hell of a lot like a rainbow darter to me.

There is one tpfr member who rarely posts, but he's another bearded "Dan" and he's an educator somewhere in Virginia (can't remember where).  I remember him talking about one of his "as many species as possible" challenges, and I think the two of us were cut from the same cloth in that respect (i.e., I am totally willing to try to pick-off creek chubs if it seems like fun at the time).  Many cyprinids are active throughout the winter -- just walk along a creek in January and you'll see that even though your normal targets are absent (or not moving much), that's not the case for some of the smaller creek critters ;).

Just so you know tp -- you've posted a subject that will be perceived (and contributed to) about to the extent as a thread reading "Does anyone know what this (below) is?"

Image result for chicken

Carl Z.

Oct 27, 2016, 12:54:22 PM10/27/16
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I learned about micro fishing from the Tenkarabum website
Chris sells micro hooks that are not any smaller than a size20, but have a design that allows hooking of fish that can't get a size 20 hook in their mouth.

I've purchased some, but I'm afraid to open the package.  I think I will loose them all.

I like the "most species challenge"  I've caught quite a few dace (black nose and rosy sided) and enough shiners and chub to qualify as a bait shop.

Carl

Carl

--
Carl Zmola

--
http://www.tpfr.org

Connor Donovan

Oct 27, 2016, 2:36:32 PM10/27/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Looks like there are plenty of micro options in the area too.  Thanks for posting the tenkarabum site and the NPR article, both were great reads.

Carl

--
Carl Zmola

Greggory DiSalvo

Oct 27, 2016, 4:05:27 PM10/27/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I purchased a 25 pack of size 22 dries for griffiths gnats, but amazon sent the whole box that contained 10- boxes of 25 hooks.....Said it wasn't worth sending back so if anybody want to try some small dries...

GSFeder

Oct 27, 2016, 4:25:36 PM10/27/16
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Here's one I caught on the Shenandoah when I wasn't even trying!

image1.JPG

Cheers,

-- Greg

Sent from my iPhone
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/CAK8gq%2BE_QLuJNwYm2MqaUC_YbRU5ZJ8RwToW0bot8g_%3DaLBPFw%40mail.gmail.com.

Misha Gill

Oct 27, 2016, 4:32:56 PM10/27/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Cool, I just learned I have a swallowtail shiner in my fish tank! I foul hooked him or her out of the canal up by Violette's Lock, and I didn't think it would survive but it has made a full recovery. Fishing is neat. Nature is neat.

Gadsden Merrill

Nov 5, 2016, 9:51:38 AM11/5/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Nice!  Carl, I also picked it up from the Tenkarabum site.  I even bought a superlight tenkara rod, but I've never tried the hooks.  If you want to swap em for beer, bring em to the next beer tie...

Something about catching fish that you can see is so much more fun in my opinion.
20160904_160313.jpg