Shenandoah Brook Trout

Kevin Coleman

Oct 22, 2016, 6:43:02 PM10/22/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Hi guys,

New to the area, but used to fly fishing in Colorado. I;m headed up to Shenandoah National Park with my girlfriend soon. I heard the western slopes are where the brook trout are. Does anyone suggest a particular spot? My girlfriend is more interested in weekend hiking, but entertains my turrets for fishing. Any suggestions for finding a middle ground between fishing productivity and hiking trails?

Tight lines TPFR,

Kevin Coleman

TurbineBlade

Oct 22, 2016, 7:35:41 PM10/22/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
PM sent --

Andrew Sarcinello

Oct 23, 2016, 10:16:08 AM10/23/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
You can find brookies on both east and west slopes in almost all park streams. This time of year try not to disturb spawning fish if you see them.

Kevin Coleman

Oct 24, 2016, 6:21:29 PM10/24/16
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Hey Andrew- thanks so much for your advice! Much appreciated.

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone

> On Oct 23, 2016, at 10:16 AM, Andrew Sarcinello <andy...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> You can find brookies on both east and west slopes in almost all park streams. This time of year try not to disturb spawning fish if you see them.
>
> --
> http://www.tpfr.org
> ---

Andrew Sarcinello

Oct 25, 2016, 12:15:15 PM10/25/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
No problem Kevin. Once you get into the park the trout are everywhere. Generally, the steepest parts of the streams are best

Andrew Sarcinello

Oct 25, 2016, 12:19:57 PM10/25/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Since you were asking about hiking I'll add that most of the major hiking trails cross or follow a good trout stream at some point. Those are also the most crowded, and some places people let their dogs or themselves go swimming in the deep pools, but if you avoid those areas you'll find good fishing.