First (Potomac) Shad

Alex Binsted

Mar 27, 2015, 6:17:07 PM3/27/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I have to apologize to anyone who bet on me to catch the first one but Bob Smith beat me to it this year.  However, I did pick the spot, sell him the shad darts and take the photo.  That counts for something, doesn't it?

Bob and I were out this afternoon to see if the boats still float before Fletcher's officially opens for the season.  We anchored mid-cove, well inside of the main edge of current.  Many early season hickories have been caught in this slack water.  About 10 minutes of casting went by when I heard a confused noise come from behind me and I saw Bob's rod tip bouncing out of the corner of my eye.  It seemed to take him forever, but eventually he realized and exclaimed, "it's a fish!".  As he fought it I congratulated him on the first shad and told him not to lose it.  It jumped off at the boat.  I was still in the running.  Ten minutes later he was fighting yet another hickory and managed to land it this time.  The shad run has finally begun.

Fletcher's will be opening for the season tomorrow at 7am.  The water is cold and murky, the weather looks like crap, but apparently there are a few fish around.  I plan on letting boats out in the morning but if the wind becomes too much I may have to cut it midday.  Fair warning.

See you guys on the river.
IMG_0921.JPG
Message has been deleted

Alex Binsted

Mar 27, 2015, 6:20:53 PM3/27/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
IMG_0921.JPG

Bob Smith

Mar 27, 2015, 6:38:44 PM3/27/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
"and told him not to lose it. It jumped off at the boat".....about 5 seconds after he told me not to lose it....hmmm ;-)

The only thing that beats shad and striper season at Fletcher's is absolutely nothing.

Terry C

Mar 27, 2015, 8:45:48 PM3/27/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Alex, the assist is just as important as the goal.
Message has been deleted

Aaron O

Mar 27, 2015, 9:19:43 PM3/27/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Hey Alex,

Are you guys selling DC licenses again this year and are they be available tomorrow?

Aaron

Alex Binsted

Mar 28, 2015, 7:35:32 AM3/28/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Yes Aaron, we have them today.  Now that we are open for the season we will be here every day.

Nate Gabig

Mar 29, 2015, 2:17:56 AM3/29/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the update Alex, I was up walking my dog up at the Potomac Overlook todaandy  I saw a boat out in the channel around 5pm or so...was too far away to see if anyone was catching fish, but the water did look awfully fast and cold.

I know a lot of us are looking forward to our first shad of the season immensely!

Nate

On Friday, March 27, 2015 at 6:17:07 PM UTC-4, Alex Binsted wrote:
3.28.15 Fishing below Potomac Overlook.jpg

Colin Cummings

Mar 30, 2015, 9:43:58 PM3/30/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Hi all. New to this forum... a lot of you may know me as Terry's son. Some of you may have seen me at the Orvis store in Tyson's where I work. Anyway, day off today meant getting the kayak out at fletchers. Caught one hickory in the cove above walker's point. Beautiful day but high winds cut my day short.
3.30.15_Fletchers_HickoryShad.jpg
3.30.15_Fletchers_KayakFishing.jpg

namfos

Mar 31, 2015, 9:42:24 AM3/31/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Nice work, Colin!

Mark

D. Walker

Mar 31, 2015, 4:24:21 PM3/31/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I like your scotty rod holder, just mounted one on my kayak this weekend and cant wait to use it