What are the spey guys throwing on the Potomac?

Yambag Nelson

Mar 26, 2015, 4:02:07 PM3/26/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
One of my goals for this spring's shad season is to use my two handed rods more on the Potomac.  Was curious to see what rods, lines, tips, people are throwing.  I will probably use the following for most of my fishing;

13' 7 wt rod (Echo TR)
510 grain skagit head
I am going to start with 10 feet of T-14.  I suspect that may not be enough but who knows.  Do any of the local shops sell T-17?  I see RIO sells extra heavy MOW Tips in T-17 that comes in lengths up to 12.5 feet.  Anyone have any experience with those?

john

Mar 26, 2015, 10:44:21 PM3/26/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I used a Sage TCX 7126 last year which is great to throw with T material sink tip and for the size of the river, but it is overkill for the shad. I'm going to use my 6wt spey rod 12 1/2' rod this year.

Carl Smolka

Mar 27, 2015, 7:20:25 AM3/27/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
John,
Do you mind sharing how you will set up your 6wt for shad? I'm a newbie to
spey.
Carl
--
http://www.tpfr.org
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/9b107478-f8e0-48

John Bilotta

Mar 27, 2015, 7:33:41 AM3/27/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I fish a skagit with usually with a 12' T11 tip. Grain weight depends on the rod.
A 5-7 wt two handed rod is perfect, lighter is better for shad, but fish whatever you have.
John

Sent from my iPad
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/006801d06880%2405562a60%2410027f20%24%40verizon.net.

Steve F

Mar 28, 2015, 11:38:36 AM3/28/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
My rod of choice is a 10'8" 5wt Batson Rainshadow Switch with a 290gr Wulff Ambush line, 15' of T-8, and around 4-5ft of 10lb tippet to the first fly.  Setup works great swinging for smallies and trout as well.

john

Mar 29, 2015, 9:49:17 AM3/29/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I will set up my 6 wt with a 375-400 grain Skagit line and then use either sinking polyleaders or T-11 tips to get down, hopefully that will do the trick.

Yambag Nelson

Mar 29, 2015, 11:31:13 AM3/29/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Jon, have you tried polykeaders on the Potomac? I typically use polyleaders with a scandi head when great lakes steel heading but can't see them getting down on the Potomac. Even t11 seems light to me. Like I said in my orig post I was thinking t14 but not sure if that will even be enough.

john

Mar 30, 2015, 7:30:43 PM3/30/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I used both T-11 and T-14 last year on my Deathstar, used the T-11 more as the T-14 would get hung up more at the end of the swing and the T-11 was catching fish. I did not use polyleaders but I will have them with me I just keep changing going heavier until it starts working or I start hooking fish. I also will adjust the fishing by casting more across and throwing a number of mends to get the fly down, most of the fish are on the edge of the current or toward the end of the swing. I have used T-14 on the 6wt out in BC it is not as much fun but is doable, So I will probably use T-8 & 11 and sinking polyleaders. Just try different things, it can also very depending on where on the river you are, current, conditions (high or low water), temperature, etc.

Gerry_Ostheimer

Mar 31, 2015, 9:37:40 AM3/31/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
The past two years I have used a 12' 6" 6/7 weight with 450-475 skagit heads. This year I am EXCITED to try a 450 grain Skagit iFlight which has an intermediate line for 2/3 of the head. For tips I use 12-15 feet of T-8 or T-11. I tried 18 feet of T-8 and that was a shit show. I agree with John that throwing heavier tips (T-14 & T-17) will make the fishing much less fun. Those tips are also not really likely to get you in terms of added depth until the end of the swing in the slack water when they will drop like a stone and hang you up.

What I would suggest; however, is adding split shot to your line. In fact, this year I am going to experiment with 1/16 oz and 1/8 oz worm weights in the middle of my leader held in place with a blood knot or (gasp) a swivel. 2 feet of 20 lb test - weight - knot - 2 feet of 8-12 lb test. The split shot have a tendency to pop off.

It is also true that the fishing very much depends on the conditions. I have had shad take the fly mid swing on a quarter down cast (FUN). I have also had to throw quarter upstream and mend and mend and mend to get the fly in the zone (also fun). Fortunately,with shad there is no ambiguity as to when you are in the zone!

This year I am also going to try an 11' 6 weight with a 425 grain Skagit iFlight with 10 - 12 feet of T-8 or T-11. Perhaps when the water warms up.