Louisiana Redfish

Jeffrey Silvan

Jul 30, 2014, 11:22:21 AM7/30/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I went down to New Orleans last weekend, and as I've been making a habit, I went down a day early to get some fishing in. I ended up catching five redfish, two of which were pretty hefty ~30 inch fish, but none were small. I saw a few gar, and I got a nice black drum to eat but I didn't realize he actually ate (I thought it was the bottom) so I didn't set the hook. I had a shot at an ENORMOUS redfish, but blew it. The guide thought it was a shark at first. My cast was off about 2 feet to the left of where it needed to be, and by the time I stripped it into position, it was ten feet from the boat. It went to eat it, but saw us at the last second and spooked. Still a great trip. I'm going back for three days of fishing in September, so I'll have to work on my accuracy with a weighted fly between now and then.

A few of the pictures the guide took are attached. I was wearing my GoPro so I have the two bigger fish on video, but took it off mid-day because I started getting the line a little tangled up in it. I haven't processed the video yet, but will share once I do.
2014-07-24 jeff july 24 001_small.jpg
2014-07-24 jeff july 24 003_small.jpg
2014-07-24 jeff july 24 009_small.jpg

Richard Farino

Jul 30, 2014, 11:56:16 AM7/30/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Nice report.  Love the fish, hate the hat  ;)

Richard Farino

Urban Angler VA 108 N. Washington Street  2nd Floor | Alexandria, VA 22314 Google_Maps_Marker

(703) 527-2524 | fax: (703) 527-3313ric...@urbanangler.com  urban-signature-facebook  urban-signature-twitter

--
http://www.tpfr.org

TurbineBlade

Scott Stankus

Jul 30, 2014, 1:45:07 PM7/30/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Awesome fish - sounds like a great trip! If you don't mind sharing, who was the guide? And would you recommend him/her?

--Scott

On Wed, Jul 30, 2014 at 11:21 AM, Jeffrey Silvan <jeffre...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

"There are 10 types of people in this world, those who know binary, and those who don't"

Jeffrey Silvan

Jul 30, 2014, 2:04:42 PM7/30/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
The guide was Rocky Thickstun (Salty Fly Louisiana). I typically use Greg Moon (Louisiana Fly Fishing Charters), but he wasn't available so he set me up with Rocky. They're friends and toss trips to each other if they are booked and the other is free. I highly recommend both. They also both have great reputations among guides down there as well. If you're thinking of going, plan way ahead. You might get lucky on short notice due to a cancellation, but these guys typically book up a year in advance - particularly for good tide days - during fall season, and several months ahead for a lot of the winter and spring.

Remick

Jul 31, 2014, 8:55:07 AM7/31/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I second the hat h8ing. Solid pheesh.

namfos

Jul 31, 2014, 9:53:59 AM7/31/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
LOL!

I'm with you, Rich.  ;-)

Mark

D. Walker

Jul 31, 2014, 11:13:56 AM7/31/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
those are awesome pictures.

I am indifferent on the hat

Dave Marcus

Aug 1, 2014, 10:01:45 AM8/1/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Great fish, LOVE the hat! I attached a picture proving that redfish fishing transcends sports rivalry's. It's my than girlfriend, now wife, and I a few years back doubling up on reds in SC. Still waiting to get one on the fly...she may be a dirty yankees fan but I love her anyway :)

David
Redfish rivalry.jpg

Richard Farino

TurbineBlade

Aug 1, 2014, 12:14:45 PM8/1/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Oh, I have an even more relevant video!

Everything you ever wanted or needed to know about Scotland in 14 seconds.

Gene

From: Dave Marcus <dhma...@gmail.com>
Date: Friday, August 1, 2014 at 10:01 AM
To: <tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com>
Subject: Re: {Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Louisiana Redfish

Great fish, LOVE the hat! I attached a picture proving that redfish fishing transcends sports rivalry's. It's my than girlfriend, now wife, and I a few years back doubling up on reds in SC. Still waiting to get one on the fly...she may be a dirty yankees fan but I love her anyway :)

David

On Thursday, July 31, 2014 11:13:56 AM UTC-4, D. Walker wrote:
those are awesome pictures.

I am indifferent on the hat

On Thursday, July 31, 2014 9:53:59 AM UTC-4, namfos wrote:
LOL!

I'm with you, Rich.  ;-)

Mark

--
http://www.tpfr.org

david marcus

Aug 1, 2014, 12:21:58 PM8/1/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
As a bigger bruins fan than I am a redsox fan (grew up playing hockey in boston, I bleed black and gold, also assuming your a rangers fan...almost had it this year) I remember that commercial and love it.

Lauryn and I have some guidelines about when we can shit talk the other team (otherwise it would never work...).

David

--
http://www.tpfr.org

Jeffrey Silvan

Aug 1, 2014, 12:24:55 PM8/1/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
You're a better man than I. I went on a date with a Yankees fan once. There wasn't a second date.

Richard Farino

Aug 1, 2014, 12:32:14 PM8/1/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I am.  Girlfriend is a Caps fan (and season ticket holder!) and was very supportive this year.  Don’t want to elaborate about when the Rags/Caps eliminate each other…

I root for the Caps at games until they play the Rangers.  Then just another a-hole at Verizon Center.

Richard Farino

Urban Angler VA 108 N. Washington Street  2nd Floor | Alexandria, VA 22314 Google_Maps_Marker

(703) 527-2524 | fax: (703) 527-3313ric...@urbanangler.com  urban-signature-facebook  urban-signature-twitter

Richard Farino

Aug 1, 2014, 12:32:42 PM8/1/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
She saw your hat and turned you down, huh?   ;)

Richard Farino

Urban Angler VA 108 N. Washington Street  2nd Floor | Alexandria, VA 22314 Google_Maps_Marker

(703) 527-2524 | fax: (703) 527-3313ric...@urbanangler.com  urban-signature-facebook  urban-signature-twitter

namfos

Aug 1, 2014, 2:03:22 PM8/1/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
That's great! LOL

namfos

Aug 1, 2014, 2:04:55 PM8/1/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Dave:

Lemme guess: the two of you fell in love in, hmmmm, 2004? ;-)

Mark

Matt Geiman

Aug 2, 2014, 8:02:14 PM8/2/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Nice Fish! I'd love to get into some reds like that! For some reds closer to home the lower bay and and inlets around VA beach are fishing well right now. Most of them are caught with spin gear around here, but can have success with flies once you find them.

Jeffrey Silvan

Aug 18, 2014, 4:31:17 PM8/18/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I remembered that I never shared the video from the trip. For those interested, here you go: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdcgofDKXwc

I've always worn the chest mount, but it tends to get pretty shaky and I often lean downwards as I'm stripping in the fly, which doesn't lead for good strike videos. Anyone have any better ideas for self-filming?

[...]

Joe Mathews

Aug 18, 2014, 11:54:35 PM8/18/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Sweet vid! I was wondering why that fish wasn't running, but then a couple minutes into the fight it saw the boat and freaked out! Looked like an awesome trip. That GoPro takes awesome video. Is that the Hero 3+? I thought about getting one to film my Utah trout shenanigans, but it would probably jinx me.

Jeffrey Silvan

Aug 19, 2014, 10:49:30 AM8/19/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Yes, I do use the Hero 3+. The two bigger fish both did the same thing - didn't really fight until they saw the boat, then got really mad. Apparently that's often the behavior in the summer. They wait to break out their fight, but when they do, they really go.