Tidal Basin

Chris James

Jul 28, 2018, 3:47:18 PM7/28/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Any ideas how the waters clearing up down there? Assuming it’s based on the tides, but a ballpark fishable or not would be nice.

Thanks,

Chris

tatu...@gmail.com

Jul 30, 2018, 4:01:44 PM7/30/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I was on the basin from 1000-1230 yesterday (Sunday).  I tried everything above and below the surface.  Not even a nibble.  The folks using live & cut bait weren't getting a nibble either so I didn't feel that bad.

Cheers
Collin

westbrid...@gmail.com

Jul 30, 2018, 7:18:52 PM7/30/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Was tough last week. Hope it turns back on soon, gonna try it before work tomorrow.

October Caddis

Jul 31, 2018, 10:41:52 PM7/31/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Walked the dog down there this eve, very muddy water flowing in from the river and none of the several spin guys I saw were having any luck. Saw a couple of gulpers here and there but that’s it.

N Elgas

Aug 6, 2018, 12:09:38 PM8/6/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders

Got a 19" smb this morning near MLK...black gamechanger-

tatu...@gmail.com

Aug 6, 2018, 1:24:53 PM8/6/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Gamechanger...those are those articulated minnow-like flies?

I need to expand my fishing sites down at the basin...I have historically only gone to the area from Jeffereson along the wall to the Ohio Drive bridges on either side.

Nice haul.

Cheers
Collin

N Elgas

Aug 6, 2018, 2:13:48 PM8/6/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Yeah,  I like the feather game changers the best,  mine have about 5 spines +  1/0 main body hook and sometimes a small circle stinger on the tail.  I have been using the fish spines to articulate them,  and then add extra lead on the water to get it to fall horizontally like a fluke.  Got everything to tie them at district angling.

I try to hit the basin every morning around 640 - 830 before work,  longer if they are biting.  I would always welcome company.  Normally just me and the German tourist out that early.   I haven't had much luck on the Jefferson/Ohio drive side since May.  The crap water clarity is not helping much either.   it tends to be clearer by MLK.

Sean Beck

Aug 7, 2018, 1:40:09 PM8/7/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Nice smallie. Is it a feather changer in black? I just got the shanks/spines from Fly Tyer's Dungeon since they are a quarter of the price of the Flymen ones.

westbrid...@gmail.com

Aug 8, 2018, 1:22:43 PM8/8/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
The i think its actually grizzly wet fly hackle.  I cant find the feathers i want in many colors.  good to know about spines, they are not cheap

N Elgas

Aug 8, 2018, 1:25:53 PM8/8/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I got a really nice largemouth and another smallie this morning.  You can see the fly pretty well in the pic of the smallmouth.

0808180735.jpg

0808180704.jpg

tatu...@gmail.com

Aug 8, 2018, 2:50:36 PM8/8/18
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Nice haul.

Collin

On Aug 8, 2018, at 13:25, N Elgas <caca...@gmail.com> wrote:

I got a really nice largemouth and another smallie this morning.  You can see the fly pretty well in the pic of the smallmouth.

<0808180704.jpg>

--
http://www.tpfr.org
<0808180735.jpg>

westbrid...@gmail.com

Aug 9, 2018, 12:11:25 PM8/9/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Who did i run into by MLK this morning.  I was excited to get my line wet and felt like a dick when i realized i never introduced myself.  You have any luck?

Chris James

Aug 11, 2018, 7:09:20 PM8/11/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
That was I, no worries. Caught a decent large mouth. There was a ton of bait in the water and lots of activity.

Jason Paragas

Aug 23, 2018, 2:05:42 PM8/23/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
How has the tidal basin been fishing this week? I was thinking about hitting it in the morning.

Jason Paragas

Aug 24, 2018, 8:29:49 AM8/24/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
The tidal basin this morning would have been perfect except for the muddy water. There a lot of activity with nice cool temperature and only an occasional jogger. No action on the surface (not surprising) but i was obsessed with dry fly fishing all night.

tatu...@gmail.com

Aug 24, 2018, 12:24:04 PM8/24/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
~0800 on my run this morning I walked the MLK Memorial (away from FDR) over to the bridge.  Along the wall., tons of bait fish hugging and dancing.

I'm a geo-bach this weekend...so I will down in this area at sunrise Sunday morning to see what I can put on my line.

Cheers
Collin

tatu...@gmail.com

Sep 4, 2018, 10:34:01 AM9/4/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders

The Tidal Basis is my personal White Whale...

Once again, skunked at the basis Sunday morning.  Fished the MLK side from the monument on down to the bridge.  I tried top water and streamers from just below the surface to the deep, then dragged some Wolly's and others along the bottom.  NADA!!

I saw fish...and a few even taunted me by jumping free of the water in areas I just vacated and moved on from (they were pretty decent...one a bass, the other a carp).  Granted...it rained Saturday afternoon and the water was somewhat brown, maybe that is what kept the fish away from my flies.

Luckily there was no traffic so my bike ride from the Hill in NE to and from wasn't a hassle.

I get my whale one of these days.

Cheers
Collin

N Elgas

Sep 17, 2018, 6:29:40 PM9/17/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders

0917180748a.jpg

The novelty of blue cats on the flyrod is wearing off quickly,  the slime the get everywhere is trashing my leaders and instantly glues the feathers on my game changers together!!