8 weight lines

Barracuda

Aug 4, 2017, 11:00:26 AM8/4/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I've been using a Scientific Anglers GPX 8 weight line but have slowly realized it's not the best line choice for me -- it's an all-purpose line but my (lack of) fly casting skills means I'm not getting much distance with big wind-resistant poppers or weighted flies like Clousers and beadhead woolly buggers (let alone Claw-dads).

There are a fair number of lines out there to throw big/heavy flies. The slight catch is that the other thing I'd like to do with this line is fish a double-nymph/indicator rig on my once-a-year west coast steelhead trip. I know these are different uses but I can't bring myself to getting a special heavy nymph/indicator line for as little as I fish it.

IOW, I'm looking mainly for a smallmouth rod to cast poppers and weighted heavy flies, but I'd like to be able to mend it at least somewhat.

Two of the lines I'm considering are Rio's Big Nasty and Scientific Anglers Mastery Titan Long. Does anyone have any experience with either of these? Or other suggestions?

Connor Donovan

Aug 4, 2017, 12:00:56 PM8/4/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
If Rio still makes that Smallmouth line, that'd be my recommendation.  Great in the heat, rides high, and man does that line want to shoot.  It makes for a serviceable trout line in shoulder seasons but not in the winter.

If it's in good condition, save the GPX.  Use it for the coldwater.

Yambag Nelson

Aug 4, 2017, 12:10:36 PM8/4/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
If your casting is that bad I don't think a change in flylines is the answer. It might help a bit, but not to the extent improving your casting will. I would work on casting first and if it is still an issue then look at different lines.

Rob Snowhite

Aug 4, 2017, 1:20:35 PM8/4/17
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I'm a big fan of the Rio Outbound Short integrated or Orvis Bank Shot (what I use on my 7'11" 8wt).

Sent from my iPhone
--
http://www.tpfr.org

Lane Thurgood

Aug 4, 2017, 4:35:35 PM8/4/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Concur on the Rio Smallmouth line.  I like it so much I fish one on my 6- , 7- and 8-weights.  I also have a Rio Grand that I reach for more in the colder months for my 7- and 8.

Andrew Sarcinello

Aug 4, 2017, 4:44:28 PM8/4/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Rio Smallmouth line was recommended to me at Beaver Creek fly shop when I bought my first 8 wt a few years ago.  Without having anything to compare it to, I always felt like it was a very good line.  Casting is much easier than any of my other rods.  However I like Yambag's advice to look into what you could improve on your casting form first.

TurbineBlade

Aug 4, 2017, 5:44:34 PM8/4/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I agree with Yambag, even though every time I've had to say that I've showered immediately afterward and gone to confession.  ;)

A change in fly line might account for a 5-10% difference in your experience...tops?  Unless you are going from a crusty old DT line to a short-head WF line, you'll probably find that extra practice makes your current WF line seem much better.  I've never been in a situation where a basic WF fly line of most common tapers wouldn't do the job as well as another.
I'm waiting for someone to market a "bluegill" tapered line and sell it to people for 80 bucks as offering various advantages.  You heard it here first folks!

Carl Z.

Aug 4, 2017, 7:54:38 PM8/4/17
On Fri, Aug 4, 2017 at 5:44 PM, TurbineBlade <doubl...@gmail.com> wrote:

A change in fly line might account for a 5-10% difference in your experience...tops?  Unless you are going from a crusty old DT line to a short-head WF line, you'll probably find that extra practice makes your current WF line seem much better.  I've never been in a situation where a basic WF fly line of most common tapers wouldn't do the job as well as another.

Hey, what's the matter with an old DT line.

I would say that if you have something with a long front taper, going to a WF line would be good.  Also going to a stiffer, shorter leader might be helpful, but definitely working on casting will help the most.

Having been called out,  Are there any other casting instructors out there that want to start doing regular casting sessions again.  Since John has moved, we've lost some of the regularity of single handed casting instruction (thanks Regan for keeping the two-handers going strong).

I know that a few of the CI's are very active in their day jobs (Art and Trent), so if you have a chance to do the Orvis classes I would jump on them.

Oh,  Gene, I have a bluegill line especially for you, and it's only $60, comes in a ziplock bag and has been camouflaged by a special process involving duckweed and pond scum.

Carl