hey Vic, and SUPers

otmastiff

Feb 25, 2014, 11:05:59 AM2/25/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
i am moving to leesburg...curious if anyone has had any experience paddleboarding up near point of rocks or areas north-northwest?

Vic Velasco

Feb 25, 2014, 1:42:03 PM2/25/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
The furthest upriver I've paddled is Algonkian Regional Park.  Lots of islands to paddle through and tons of holes hiding smallmouth.

I have seen people launching from Goose Creek and going downstream towards the Potomac.

I also paddle/fish Beaver Dam Reservoir (south from Belmont Rd/Leesburg Pike).  Between those three spots, you should have a bunch of fishing.

I can't see the POR area being too different from those spots.

Clarence Fullard

Feb 25, 2014, 9:23:11 PM2/25/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I've never considered fly fishing from a SUP. How much of a range do you have from where you launch it? Ever do a downstream float? Is it stable enough to really not worry about wiping out?

otmastiff

Feb 25, 2014, 9:42:33 PM2/25/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
It's a total blast... I am not a great fly fisherman , and I have had my paddleboard for less than 18 months... So limited sup skills and all that said its a blast. The duos can be very stable. I have a bote had and gave Rajen it in the oven off delaware as well as Fletcher's up to chain bridge. Among other spots. You do have to learn how to manage your equipment safely and efficiently, and I always find my board twisting in the current/wind as I try to cast at targets. But it's fun. And challenging. The sup can be the most effective tool in some circumstances, and pain in the ass in others interns of fishing but it's always fun.

otmastiff

Feb 25, 2014, 9:44:01 PM2/25/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
In terms of range... It's a function of how much time do you have, how fit are you, what are the conditions. The world is your oyster!

Vic Velasco

Feb 25, 2014, 10:21:51 PM2/25/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I bring water and snacks so I can do 5-10 miles and still get some good fishing in.  If there is more wind and you have to fight it, you'll have less range.

Get the widest board you can get if your main goal is to fish - width gives you your stability.  And get one that has Scotty or RAM attachment points - like otmastiff said if you arrange your gear to be functional and clean, you can get a lot on board and not have it become a hinderance while casting.

otmastiff - I just got in touch with Chris S (from last year's paddle at Fletcher's) - we're thinking of doing it again when the shad start running... are you game?

Vic

Vic Velasco

Feb 25, 2014, 10:27:19 PM2/25/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Clarence -

My board is an aircraft carrier.  I have tried to get it to go over but have not been able to do so.  I routinely carry three rods (1 spinning, 2 fly), a cooler with water and snacks, a pack full of tackle, a paddle, a knife, an anchor, my life jacket and a dry bag with a phone and truck keys.

Look towards the fishing specific SUPs.  I have used the general purpose all around boards, but a jack of all trades is a master of none.

I've had buddies use boats, canoes and jetskis to go fishing from, but I like the peace and quiet when I go fishing and when you are having fun, you're not exercising (even though you are) - I'll take the SUP for most fishing applications.

otmastiff

Mar 2, 2014, 8:54:31 AM3/2/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Yeah man I would definitely be interested in Fletcher's off shad on the sup with you guys.
Preston