Floating the James River?

Morgan Cosgrove

Aug 12, 2019, 4:44:22 PM8/12/19
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Considering a float on the James over Labor Day weekend. Thinking of renting kayaks.

Anyone have any insight? I've never fished smallies down that far, so if any one has any good ideas for a 1-2 night float, kayak rentals, campsites ect. would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Gregg DiSalvo

Aug 13, 2019, 9:36:00 AM8/13/19
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders

nQWhom5sRjmjG9pZUkJl2A.jpeg

ml_8C-yBTRe8d5bZD3pAkA.jpeg

I don't remember much detail and can't seem to find any of my planning documents, but Joshua Falls to Wingina was a solid float, if I did it again for fishing, I would shorten it, but I primarily did it for the paddle and camping.  The launch was close to Lynchburg so may be too far out for you.  There are state parks where I think you can camp, but we just found islands and set up.  Attached are some pics.  Probably 10 years ago now?

Ryan DiAndrea

Aug 13, 2019, 10:07:44 AM8/13/19
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Are there any problems leaving your car at either of these boat ramps? I'd assume not but rather double check.

--
http://www.tpfr.org

Gregg DiSalvo

Aug 13, 2019, 12:07:24 PM8/13/19
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
We didn't have any issues as there are official launches.  That being said, you run the same risk that you run leaving your car anywhere in rural areas.

Connor Donovan

Aug 13, 2019, 8:51:25 PM8/13/19
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
We have used Twin River Outfitters a few times and they are great.  They operate out of Buchanan and offer trips and rentals from Iron Gate to Balcony Falls and have private campgrounds along the way. This past Memorial Day, a group of us floated Iron Gate to Buchanan (35.5 miles) over 3 days - 2 nights, camping both at TRO sites. The sites were nice and chopped wood was plentiful. Over labor day a few years ago, we rented canoes from TRO for one-night trip from Buchanan to Glasgow and DIY-camped on a small rocky island. Overall, you can't go wrong with any of those stretches.  But 10+ miles/day on that river at summer low flows, although amazing and beautiful, is definitely more paddling than fishing.  Try to keep it in the 5-8 miles/day range if you want to get in quality fishing time.  Or even 3-5 miles if you want a shorter second day.  If you're renting, go with a canoe so one person can steer/control the boat while the other fishes.

Here's a great resource for the upper James:

Morgan Cosgrove

Aug 14, 2019, 1:42:40 PM8/14/19
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Wow thanks both Connor and Greg. Super helpful information.

Flows do seem low, so I was thinking a shorter float with less paddling. Would like to maximize fishing not paddling/portaging if areas are super shallow.

Any special bugs I should know about on the James, or the usual smallie candy?

Connor Donovan

Aug 15, 2019, 10:42:55 PM8/15/19
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Usual smallmouth candy should do the trick.

Enjoy the trip!

Smallies&Shad

Aug 18, 2019, 8:57:17 AM8/18/19
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders

 Blurry memory. Years ago the legendary, iconic TPFR founder may have recommended a specific local James River guide for smallie drifts. Any old timers remember that guide's name? Thanks. S&S

Trent Jones

Aug 18, 2019, 11:16:15 AM8/18/19
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
S & S,

That would be Matt Miles....

I have many memorable days on the water with Matt over the years. Great guy and guide.

-Trent

Smallies&Shad

Aug 21, 2019, 11:12:12 PM8/21/19
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders

Thanks Trent! Much appreciated. Great photos. Great fish. Best wishes to you, Dan and the TPFR. S&S

Daniel Davala

Aug 21, 2019, 11:55:15 PM8/21/19
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Oh man, thanks for posting that Trent!  Great, great memories my friend!!  I may be minutes from wild trout now, but oh I miss that VA warm water.  You can take a Southern angler out of the south, but.........well, you know.  Much love to all the TPFRers out there.  Thank you all for keeping it alive!!

Dan