Today's Casting Church

Gregg Rockett

Mar 15, 2020, 12:17:20 PM3/15/20
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Casting Church 'daredevils' were also doing some rock climbing!

image1.jpeg

Thanks for the instruction!

Regan Burmeister

Mar 15, 2020, 10:14:06 PM3/15/20
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
A very nice casting church today. About a dozen folks showed up.  We spent about 45 min discussing rods and lines, flies and knots.  We worked a bit on casting, and then we headed up stream.  We stopped about 100 yds or so below Chain Bridge and spread out to bank fish from the various points. A few folks had some missed strikes. I assisted a few folks in adjusting their casting strokes to be able to cast a sinking line/tip out into the current.  It is a challenge to backcast with all kinds of snags ready to grab a low backcast.
Brett was kind to offer to photograph of my first shad of the season, caught using an intermediate spey line with 10ft of T-14 as the sink tip.

Regan
Regan_1st_shad_2020.jpg

Owen Williams

Mar 16, 2020, 9:43:17 AM3/16/20
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Congrats on your first shad of the season, Regan!

Gregg DiSalvo

Mar 16, 2020, 11:16:16 AM3/16/20
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
great pic too!

arthur noglak

Mar 17, 2020, 7:13:06 AM3/17/20
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Well done!

Terry C

Mar 18, 2020, 7:21:01 AM3/18/20
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Nice, I’m putting my kayak in today and giving it a go. My way of self isolating.

tperkins

Mar 18, 2020, 8:43:27 AM3/18/20
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
That is a great idea Terry! Hoping to get out for some social distance casting this weekend. Let us know how you do. Very happy I have my kayak with me now!

Barracuda

Mar 18, 2020, 10:55:42 AM3/18/20
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Reagan:
How much does the intermediate line help vs. floating Skagit line with heavy tip, short leader, and weighted fly?

Regan Burmeister

Mar 19, 2020, 10:30:19 PM3/19/20
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I find the advantage of the Intermediate Skagit head is that I can shorten the length of the sink tip from 15ft to 10ft.
I want to try this year using a 3D Skagit head that has a sinking portion of the head and see if I can be successful with a 5ft T14 tip.

RobSky

Mar 22, 2020, 10:59:54 AM3/22/20
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Newbie here, didn’t make it to this months casting church on shad fishing, but was hoping
Someone would share the info discussed.

Also, I’ve got a 5 wt 10’ rod, what type of set up, leader, and fly would you recommend?
Should I wear waders or hip boots at Fletchers?
If I shore fish, what direction or where do I go at Fletchers?
If I rent a boat, what direction or area should I fish?

Thanks!

Yambag Nelson

Mar 22, 2020, 2:46:02 PM3/22/20
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
full sinking line, short piece of 10lb straight mono, any of the Shad flies sold as district angling.

You shouldn’t be wading above your knees so either will work.

Both up and down river have spots to fish from shore. There is more shore accessible water up.

If they are renting boats you will see where everyone is fishing. Get on a seem and leave a reasonable amount of space. If you’ve never been you will be fishing closer to someone else than you will pretty much anywhere else.

Adam Soller

Mar 23, 2020, 9:56:36 AM3/23/20
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Throw on a life jacket if it’s your first time wading upstream of Fletchers - this is something I still do If I’m out solo given how slick the rocks can be coupled with being a former rowing coach on the Potomac. The PFD I use with my kayak also has pockets so it means I don’t need a backpack.

Alex also ties some killer shad flies so stop by there and maybe the shop will be open.

Terry C

Mar 23, 2020, 12:42:28 PM3/23/20
On Monday, March 23, 2020 at 9:56:36 AM UTC-4, Adam Soller wrote:
> Throw on a life jacket if it’s your first time wading upstream of Fletchers - this is something I still do If I’m out solo given how slick the rocks can be coupled with being a former rowing coach on the Potomac. The PFD I use with my kayak also has pockets so it means I don’t need a backpack.
>
> Alex also ties some killer shad flies so stop by there and maybe the shop will be open.

I personally don’t think wading is a good idea on the Potomac near Fletcher’s. Right now the river is low and if you are wading you may get a false sense of security. Over the years i have witnessed the search for people who has drowned above Fletcher’s. Stay safe. It’s only fishing.

Robert S.

Mar 23, 2020, 1:49:04 PM3/23/20
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Awesome group!!!