turn your high-end fly rod into and even higher-end tenkara rod

namfos

Jun 10, 2020, 2:02:03 PM6/10/20
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mavrk-flyfishing/mavrk-stinger

Why not just buy a tenkara out fir from the get go?

Mark

Jeff Cook

Jun 10, 2020, 2:53:40 PM6/10/20
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Or just don’t spool out your line? Sounds like a technique more than a hardware solution.

--
http://www.tpfr.org

Dalton Terrell

Jun 10, 2020, 3:52:19 PM6/10/20
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Wow, I've seen (and purchased) a lot of stupid fishing products but this might top the cake. The premise that this device reduces fatigue over a reel is almost certainly false; this swindler ignores the fact that a rod, especially a long euro nymph rod, feels lighter with the weight of the reel beneath your hand counterbalancing the long portion of the rod above your hand.

Dalton

peter odell

Jun 11, 2020, 8:03:40 AM6/11/20
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
this seems to be a bad combo - if you have that much line and have to manually take it off loop by loop if you hook something not controllable the amount of line already out, seems like a breakoff is inevitable.

I have a tenkara rod, great for a non-flyfisherman to catch bluegills, but I'll stick to my 3wt or 4wt.

Dan G

Jun 11, 2020, 8:25:37 AM6/11/20
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I lived in Richmond in the 1980’s. Enjoyed terrific fishing within city limits. I fished a Korean telescoping rods, up to 25’. I would tie a length of scrap fly line approximately the length of the rod and tie leader and fish all types of flies. I was very successful and frequently out fished my friends using more traditional equipment (spin or bait casting). I experienced a terrific catch rate. I’m convinced I wasted less time messing with my equipment and more time with my fly in the water led to my success.
The concept rod will allow a fisher to keep their fly on the water thus improve their productivity. I’m sure the rod has a soft tip which reduces the chance of experiencing a fish breaking off. I will say a net is sometimes necessary to capture your catch.

namfos

Jun 11, 2020, 3:02:21 PM6/11/20
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
You and me both.

tperkins

Jun 11, 2020, 3:09:38 PM6/11/20
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
What's the stupidest thing you've bought?

Mine wasn't fly fishing related, but I did buy Banjo Minnows back in the day. Didn't catch a single fish.

Sean Steele

Jun 11, 2020, 3:14:04 PM6/11/20
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
My ex-wife’s engagement ring.

-Sean

Jun 11, 2020, 3:41:04 PM6/11/20
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Hahaha - this thread is now closed. Can't top that!

"There are 10 types of people in this world, those who know binary, and those who don't"

Dalton Terrell

Jun 11, 2020, 3:59:58 PM6/11/20
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Mine is probably a leader straightener. Who knew you could use your hand???

Gregg DiSalvo

Jun 11, 2020, 4:32:10 PM6/11/20
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
dyed green worms when I was a kid.  Full transparency... My grandpa bought them for me since I had only caught a bazillion panfish on regular yard-sourced nightcrawlers.

Dalton Terrell

Jun 12, 2020, 7:35:18 AM6/12/20
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Scratch that, I just remembered I bought a Tenkara rod...

Andrew Sarcinello

Jun 12, 2020, 7:45:25 AM6/12/20
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Ouch!!

namfos

Jun 12, 2020, 7:04:14 PM6/12/20
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Either my wife's iPad or the crappy Martin outfit with 7 foot rod and #7 level fly line.

Mark

Carl Z.

Jun 15, 2020, 9:24:08 AM6/15/20
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
The original product is backward.  I need to find a way to turn my Tenkara rod into a PA legal fly fishing rod (You can't use a tenkara rod in pennsylvania flyfish only waters).  You have to have a flyline and reel (and not be using bait).

Carl

--
Carl Zmola

--
http://www.tpfr.org

Misha Gill

Jun 16, 2020, 12:17:36 PM6/16/20
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Oh man, Thomas, I have slayed bass on the Banjo minnow. I stopped using the corkscrew a long time ago and just run the hook through the nose of the plastic. Caught lots of 3-5 lb bass in Central Texas that way.

My stupidest fishing purchase was the baitcasting rod and reel that I intended for catfishing but that I only got to put to use maybe twice ever in my childhood. That damn thing was a high end reel that backlashed so easily... about the same time in my life I bought a circular hoop net that attached to a rope, which I intended to put over the side wall of the dam I was fishing off the top of (at Canyon Lake in TX). I had hooked a big ass catfish from the top the only time I ever went. I bought that net then never went back. It's all so painfully stupid because as a kid I had limited means and every dollar spent on fishing gear was precious!! So to have allocated funds towards expensive one time use gear is uncomfortable for me to think about.

Recently, there's all the yellow perch gear I bought after purchasing Shawn Kimbro's book "Chesapeake Panfish." I still have yet to catch a migratory yellow perch...

Knot tying tools gotta be up there somewhere with the leader straightening tool...

I have purchased lots of fly tying material that has turned out to be useless.

I could go on...

Jeffrey Tucker

namfos

Jun 16, 2020, 3:18:57 PM6/16/20
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I was given a Cinch Tie Knot Tyer not too long ago - it's actually pretty handy.