Smallmouth on the Rapidan? (and other locations)

Andrew Chaney

Aug 13, 2018, 10:04:08 AM8/13/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I've seen a fair amount of discussion about smallmouth on the Rapidan on this forum, most specifically from downstream of Ely's Ford to the confluence with the Rappahannock. Since the water level has been so high lately, I fished upstream around the area that Rt 3 crosses the Rapidan near the Germanna Community College Locust Grove Campus. The water level was still pretty high albeit still fishable. I fished for a few hours and got blanked.

My question for the group is: How far upstream is there decent smallmouth fishing on the Rapidan?

Also, other than the usual suspects (i.e. Rapidan, Rappahannock, Potomac & Shenandoah rivers), are there other options to go after smallmouth in Northern VA? For the purpose of the question, I'm thinking of Northern VA of as far south as Fredericksburg and as far west as the East Slope of the SNP.

With all the rain we've been getting, it's been a frustrating season for finding fishable smallmouth streams/rivers without a boat.

Andrew LaVigne

Aug 13, 2018, 10:17:41 AM8/13/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I've caught bass & sunfish at the 522 crossing, and at Madison Mills. haven't been farther upstream, but it seems like if there's enough water for some of the old mills, you'll have deep pockets enough for larger SMBs to hide out.

Been waiting for levels to drop all summer to get back down there - it's just much more manageable without a boat than the Shenandoah.

Bob Richey

Aug 14, 2018, 10:13:39 AM8/14/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I find that the N. Fork settles down and is wadable pretty quickly after being blownout.  Chapman's Landing is a good spot for wading.

Ben H

Aug 14, 2018, 3:40:40 PM8/14/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders

Andrew – yeah, the Rapidan and Rappahannock have been mostly unfishable since May. They’ve hit flood stage 3-5 times each and have only approached normal flows for a few brief periods.

There are smallmouth in the Rapp watershed from the fall line at Fredericksburg all the way to the upper tributaries near the blue ridge. The best areas for smallies tend to be those with lots of rock structure and some swift current. The confluence of the Rapidan/Rapp has lots of that structure.

Most major bridges of the Rapidan from Rt 29 downstream have foot access, in addition to the boat landings. The Phelps WMA on the Rapp is a good place to wade, provided you have decent water level. If visibility is less than 3’ on either of these rivers, you are probably wasting your time with a flyrod. The Germanna CC access isn’t terribly far from the confluence so the water conditions are usually similar at both spots.

Hopefully late Aug – Sept will be more kind to us for wet wading.

HeaveToo

Aug 28, 2018, 8:06:57 PM8/28/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
years ago I use to do a ton of fishing in the Town of Rapidan with access by the Route 615 bridge.  The fishing was amazing during the month of May and I caught a lot of bruisers there.  I haven't fished that area in 15 years though.  I use to fish right by the dam at Rapidan.  The area was extremely wadeable.

Andrew LaVigne

Aug 30, 2018, 7:46:20 AM8/30/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
This thread actually convinced me to go try wading on the Rapidan this past sunday.

Bad choice. water was high - still at least 850 CFS at Culpeper - and visibility was still somewhat limited. Ended up messing around right at the Ely's access for about 90 mins, then called it a day. . I wouldn't try that river unless flows were below 400 CFS.

Worried that if the weather gets crappy again this coming week, we're just about done with any chance at a legit summer topwater bite.

Misha Gill

Aug 30, 2018, 3:37:24 PM8/30/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Phew I almost stopped at the confluence on my way back from Richmond on Sunday... I looked at the water as we were going south on 95 on Saturday and pretty much made up my mind then. Plus it was so dang hot it would have been a really sweaty hike. Sounds like I made the right call.

DJ

Sep 18, 2018, 8:04:03 PM9/18/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
The Rapp has been washed out more than not since around mid-May, it's ridiculous.