Beaverdam Reservoir (Loudoun County) closure

303 vues

Ernie

non lue,
23 juin 2014, 09:31:0623/06/2014
à tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
We were all shocked at this news article (link below) calling for the closure of and suspension of public access to Beaverdam reservoir for four+ years, while improvements are made to the dam and unspecified studies are done.

http://m.leesburgtoday.com/news/loudoun … l?mode=jqm

Many of us have made our views known by writing to various officials, speaking at public meetings and signing petitioners.

As well, many of us have enjoyed the fishing in Beaverdam.

We have asked that Loudoun County Water reconsider this action and we are putting a lot of pressure on them (civil) to do so.

Member of the club can help one last big push to hit 1,000 petition signatures before we meet with Loudoun Water next month. With support from Loudoun Supervisors Wiiliams, Reid, and Clarke, NVRPA, and Virginia State Game and Inland Fish, Facebook friends Clean Up Beaverdam and Loudoun Paddle Club, we have gained valuable attention. This story has had several write ups in our local newspapers with more to come. So now we need each of you to sign the petition and get get 1 or 2 more people to sign this week to push our message and gain Loudoun Water as a friend to the community. Many thanks to all of you and showing these petitions do matter. Link is below

http://www.change.org/petitions/scott-york-allow-continued-access-of-beaver-dam-reservoir-for-the-public?utm_source=supporter_message&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=supporter_message

Thanks!

Ernie

Misha Gill

non lue,
23 juin 2014, 09:39:5823/06/2014
à tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Signed!

Scott Stankus

non lue,
23 juin 2014, 10:14:4523/06/2014
à tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Ditto.

--
http://www.tpfr.org

"There are 10 types of people in this world, those who know binary, and those who don't"

Terry C

non lue,
23 juin 2014, 14:06:0323/06/2014
à tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Signed

TurbineBlade

non lue,
23 juin 2014, 14:51:3023/06/2014
à tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Ditto --

On Monday, June 23, 2014 2:06:03 PM UTC-4, Terry C wrote:
Signed

D. Walker

non lue,
23 juin 2014, 20:58:1223/06/2014
à tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Signed
I work in the civil engineering field and we deal with loudoun county water a lot and they are some tough cookies to deal with

Ernie

non lue,
23 juin 2014, 22:11:4123/06/2014
à tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Thanks guys!

We have a team of 8-10 that is applying lots of pressure from many different directions.

Every action we take helps.

Ernie

Daniel Davala

non lue,
23 juin 2014, 22:15:1723/06/2014
à Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Signed - thanks Ernie, keep up the good fight!

Dan Davala

--
http://www.tpfr.org

Aaron O

non lue,
23 juin 2014, 23:23:3423/06/2014
à tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com

I'm in.

Dave J

non lue,
24 juin 2014, 07:20:5524/06/2014
à tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Signed! Really hope they reconsider.

J.T. Griffin

non lue,
25 juin 2014, 08:30:0725/06/2014
à tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I signed and got a neighbor to sign.

Ernie

non lue,
25 juin 2014, 09:36:4225/06/2014
à tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com

Thanks guys!! We are 82 away from 1000 signatures. We have some meetings coming up and a couple of the local politician are on our side. As well, VGDIF and other agencies are in our corner.

We will continue to mount the pressure.

Beaverdam is a NoVA gem!

Ernie

Matt S.

non lue,
27 juin 2014, 06:34:5527/06/2014
à tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Signed. Fwiw, Ernie will recall I sent the following letter back in April to them. I never got a reply, which did not seem encouraging (or polite for that matter). Glad you got a petition going.
Matt
********************
To: "mpet...@loudounwater.org" <mpet...@loudounwater.org>
Subject: Beaverdam Reservoir

Dear Mr. Peterson,

I was greatly dismayed when I read in the press recently that Loudoun County has suspended all public access to Beaverdam reservoir for four years, while improvements are made to the dam and unspecified studies are done. http://m.leesburgtoday.com/news/loudoun-water-closes-reservoir-access-begins-multi-year-renovation/article_0ba5ac32-ca2f-11e3-852c-001a4bcf887a.html?mode=jqm

While I certainly am in strong favor of improvements to critical local infrastructure and agree the lands around the reservoir could benefit from study and resource management, a blanket restriction on all public access to enjoy the reservoir seems very overblown and unnecessary.

I am an angler, for example, who has enjoyed the fishing in Beaverdam. I typically put a canoe in at the lot used by the high school rowing team, fish for a few hours, and return. I fail to see any new safety issues from such activity, or other ways in which small boat recreation, or fishing, would interfere with improvements to the dam.

I would ask that you and Loudoun County please consider reasonable ways to mitigate any risk or conflicts of interests as work progresses, and allow anglers and other Virginians to continue enjoying activities at the reservoir. Word about this is spreading in several locally based conservation and fishing organizations of which I am a member (Izaak Walton League, Trout Unlimited, Potomac River Smallmouth Club, Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders, and the Theodore Roosevelt Conservation Partnership) and I know I'm not the only person interested in a more fair and reasonable decision.

I wish you well, and thank you for your attention and service to the public.

Very sincerely,
Matthew Smith
Fairfax

Brendan

non lue,
27 juin 2014, 10:11:0027/06/2014
à tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
signed.

Working on a list of email addresses for their board members -- http://www.loudounwater.org/About/Current-Board-Members/

Would be nice if we could set up an email blast form on the website - where we can direct people via social media to send their thoughts and have it automatically go to a list of recipients - board members, Loudoun board of supervisors, etc.

Ernie

non lue,
28 juin 2014, 18:31:2528/06/2014
à tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Matt,

To my knowledge, they never replied to anyone. They are "digging in" and so are we.

At this point, we are close to 1000 signers for the petition.

And we continue to meet with supervisors (LoCo) and other groups. This will get very interesting very soon.

Thanks for he support and thanks to everyone who signed the petition!

Ernie

Ernie

non lue,
25 juil. 2014, 18:01:1625/07/2014
à tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
We are 2 signatures away from 1000! If you can, please sign the petition.

http://www.change.org/petitions/scott-york-allow-continued-access-of-beaver-dam-reservoir-for-the-public?utm_source=supporter_message&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=supporter_message

And if you are able  to attend, there is a Loudoun Water- Beaverdam Reservoir Community Meeting on Wednesday, July 30 from 7-9:30 pm.

Stone Hill Middle School
23415 Evergreen Ridge Dr., Ashburn

Thanks!

Ernie