Sling packs

namfos

Jun 17, 2020, 5:53:35 PM6/17/20
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Why you like or dislike sling packs?
What brand/model do you like?
What brand model do you wish you bought instead?
Over left shoulder or right shoulder? Why?

Thanks,
Mark

Daniel Lazenby

Jun 17, 2020, 6:27:57 PM6/17/20
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Mark,

Why you like or dislike sling packs?
Like for the total carrying capacity and the separate water bottle holder,
Dislike for placement of zinger and forceps holder. When I'm looking into one of the compartments or using it as a platform to work on, the tools are out of reach behind me.
Dislike placement of D-ring for holding fishing net. The net always seemed to swing around and get in the way when I bent over to crawl around a rock or some other obstacle. The net dangling from the D-ring is under my armpit when accessing stuff in compartments.

What brand/model do you like?
I wasn't aware of many choices when I made my original purchased the Orvis Guide

What brand model do you wish you bought instead?
If I were to purchase again, I'd most likely take a closer look at FishPond

Over left shoulder or right shoulder? Why?
Over the right shoulder. Why? designed to be used that way. Openings to zippered pockets facing toward the sky and not the ground when pack rotated to the front.

Daniel

--
http://www.tpfr.org

Marcus Harton

Jun 17, 2020, 8:51:57 PM6/17/20
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I’ve got a Vedavoo sling pack that’s great. I’m left handed so I may not be able to answer your shoulder question. Check their website if you want to know more.

Scott Stankus

Jun 17, 2020, 9:03:22 PM6/17/20
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Mark - I have an old version of the Orvis sling pack. Not the guide one, the older and smaller one (Blue and grey). I like it, but I wish it was larger so it could hold a water bottle in addition to my fishing gear.

I’m a right-handed caster and I wear the pack on my right shoulder without issue. One thing I’ll say is that the cross-body strap (separate from the shoulder strap) really helps to keep it firmly I place.

I think my favorite part of it is having my forceps in a holster on my chest - built in to the shoulder strap.

—Scott

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jun 17, 2020, at 8:52 PM, Marcus Harton <marcus...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I’ve got a Vedavoo sling pack that’s great. I’m left handed so I may not be able to answer your shoulder question. Check their website if you want to know more.
>
> --
> http://www.tpfr.org
> ---

namfos

Jun 18, 2020, 9:30:39 AM6/18/20
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Clarification: my question about which shoulder ought to have been, "Over your casting shoulder or not?"

Daniel Lazenby

Jun 18, 2020, 10:14:09 AM6/18/20
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Mark,
For my response, my right shoulder is my normal casting shoulder.

Daniel

--
http://www.tpfr.org

Jamie Carracher

Jun 18, 2020, 11:00:00 AM6/18/20
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I have this Orvis sling pack. I had a gift card, so I really didn't shop around for other brands. But on the whole I like it a lot. I was using an old backpack before, which worked but had a lot of issues.

It slings over your right shoulder. I cast left-handed, and it works pretty well. I've never had an issue with the placement of the pack. I'm a little lazy and don't often use the second strap across my chest, but when using it the whole thing is really stable, which is nice when scaling hills around streams and other obstacles. The only real downsides I have are that the water bottle holder is pretty small and the pack itself doesn't hold a ton. I've done it, but it can be tough to shove layers in there when the day warms up. It's better for a quick outing vs. something more elaborate. I don't really go on multi-day trips but if I did I'd want more storage.

On Wednesday, June 17, 2020 at 5:53:35 PM UTC-4, namfos wrote:
Over left shoulder or right shoulder? Why?

--
http://www.tpfr.org

tperkins

Jun 18, 2020, 2:13:02 PM6/18/20
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I have the older orvis sling pack (same as scott) and have similar complaints due to size. But I am also aware that no matter what size pack i use, I will fill it completely. I do wish it had a integrated net holder like some of the new packs and a water bottle holder.

But overall i like it, I do use a backpack when i am on the beach, since I carrier a bigger fly box that wont fit in the sling pack, and I have to take that off to change flies etc which is annoying.

Gregg DiSalvo

Jun 18, 2020, 3:37:32 PM6/18/20
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I have two.  I had a chest pack and hated it.  I'd consider a waist pack, but do love the slings.

Biggest con is whichever shoulder it is over can get sore after a full day of walking around and casting.

Pros, flipping it around by unclipping on clip.  Super easy, super fluid.  They hold a decent bit, but not as much as a backpack.

I have the Fishpond Summit Sling- This was my first sling and I love it for trout hikes and light smallie wading.  It fits a bugger beast Jr. in the main pocket with some work.  Then plenty of room in the fold down outside pocket for other flies/leaders/ whatever.  Then another pocket closest to you back comfortably fits narrow boxes.  There's another small pocket on the top which i keep my wallet/keys/phone.  I rarely use the net holder as its hard to put the net back after pulling it out, but do use it.  Plenty of clip points for other stuff (rod tube, tippet, pliers, nippers, thermo, floatant).  Oh, and water bottle holder is awesome!

A more recent get was the Patagonia Stormfront Sling.  I find the fishpond sling to be more comfortable, but love the size of the Patagonia sling. This sling fits more on the inside and is completely waterproof.  That's the reason i got it.  I would have tried the fishpond waterproof sling, but I had an absurd discount on Patagonia at the time. I use it when I carry my nice camera and am wading deeper water.  Not as many pockets, so inside organization isn't great.  Plenty of clip on points for tools.  NO WATER BOTTLE HOLDER.  I really miss this, but perhaps their thinking is that if you are dunking your bag, no sense in getting giardia by dunking your bottle.

ultimately they both have their uses, but I prefer the bigger bag that's waterproof.  Peace of mind is a great thing.

tperkins

Jun 18, 2020, 4:09:59 PM6/18/20
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Vedavoo seems to be the only brand that puts the sling on the opposite shoulder from your casting shoulder (assuming that most people cast with their right hand). Not sure what the logic is on why one is better than the other. I haven't felt any issues with the Orvis pack being on my right shoulder and casting with my right arm.

Miles

Jun 18, 2020, 4:37:26 PM6/18/20
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I like sling packs because they can carry a lot of stuff out of the way, but get it in front of you when you need it. I use this model from Orvis - the old Safe Passage large pack. It has enough capacity for a water bottle plus a couple of medium boxes of flies, which is key. When I fished in Florida, it was the perfect size for a day of wading.

The Orvis pack was good, but I had to make some improvements. You can see I sewed a strip of velcro loops as a fly patch. If they flies are not barbless, it's the devil to get them off the thing, but it works. I also put a grommet in the bottom, so if I wade too deep and get water in the pack, it has a way to drain out (also if my water bottle happens to leak). I also put in a snap to hold a key chain inside the pack, since I don't like to carry my keys in my pants pockets when I'm wading.

I actually have another of this model that I bought on super discount, that I have disassembled. My plan is to rebuild it with a strap that can switch sides, since I actually do not find the right shoulder strap all that natural feeling (I cast right handed). As a bonus, if the strap is removable, I can use it as a boat bag, with velcro ties to the thwart of my canoe. I have had it for about five years at this point, still haven't gotten around to putting it back together.

I sent Orvis an email outlining all the improvements I felt could be made on the model. I haven't seen any of the newest bags, but I know they had already committed to a new design without any of my modifications by the time I sent the email.

I also have an old chest/hip pack but I found it a bit cumbersome for a relatively small quantity of gear (no water bottle!). I still use it for light trips, but it gets in the way if I have too much stuff in it.

Miles

On Wednesday, June 17, 2020 at 5:53:35 PM UTC-4, namfos wrote:
IMG_5502.JPG

namfos

Jun 19, 2020, 9:24:59 AM6/19/20
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
And that doesn't bother you?

namfos

Jun 19, 2020, 9:35:02 AM6/19/20
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
With you on the chest pack, Gregg - I don't like the one I received as a birthday gift I forget how long ago. Don't like because it obscures where I'm placing my feet in running water which is real important at this point in life. Using it as a waist pack is merely okay - I also have 2 waist packs with slots for water bottles, but I'm beginning to find that turning the things around the waist to get in them for fly boxes or other is a PITA. Maybe I ought to just go back to using a vest.

namfos

Jun 19, 2020, 9:40:38 AM6/19/20
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Thanks, everybody! Most insightful and helpful in someday making a purchase decision.

Kevin KB

Jun 19, 2020, 10:25:44 AM6/19/20
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
There are some interesting comments regarding different styles of sling packs.  The topic of chest packs were brought up but not really discussed too much.  What are people opinions on using chest packs for kayak fishing, especially sit in kayak fishing?

Thanks
Kevin

--
http://www.tpfr.org

Daniel Lazenby

Jun 19, 2020, 11:19:55 AM6/19/20
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Mark,
It didn't seem to impact my casting. Other than my shoulder getting sore at the end of the day from the weight I carried.

Daniel

--
http://www.tpfr.org

namfos

Jun 19, 2020, 4:55:43 PM6/19/20
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Being an old fart and a kayak fisher, I also own a chest pack and a Richardson flybox and I wouldn't wear a chest pack in the boat either. I'm too uncomfortable not being able to see what's below the pack, sitting or standing. I have a Native Ultimate, sort of a canoe/kayak/sit-in hybrid.

Mark

Rob Snowhite

Jun 20, 2020, 12:55:05 PM6/20/20
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I went from a chest pack to the first Orvis sling pack. My only issue with that model was no water bottle holder. From there I purchased a Patagonia sling which has a water bottle holder. No complaints other than any webbing/strap on any item made for fly anglers should not have folded over sections as pictured below. The only purpose of this feature is to snag fly line. They are just as bad as the metal clip on the inside of your wader gravel guard.

I mostly fish with a day pack I picked up at the thrift store. Inline image

Rob Snowhite

--
http://www.tpfr.org

namfos

Jun 23, 2020, 5:52:45 PM6/23/20
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I think we all know that if there's ANYTHING that might snag a fly line, the fly line will find it. It's practically a law of nature.

Richard Farino

Jun 25, 2020, 5:24:05 PM6/25/20
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders

Sorry it’s taken so long to chime in.  Been awful busy here.

Sling bags have pluses and minuses, and you guys rely on us to help you figure them out.  Here are a couple of things to consider:

  • The majority of the freshwater fly fishermen in the United States are right handed.  When changing your flies, right-handed caters usually tuck the rod up under the right armpit, holding it in place.
  • Right-handed people tend to grab bags and packs with their right hand, with the most comfortable position for duffel and messenger bags be to lift with your right hand and go over your head and hanging the strap across your chest, resting on your left shoulder.
  • As a right hander, in order for you to slide a sling bag around from your back and into the front of your chest, the shoulder strap needs to be over and across your right shoulder so it doesn’t interfere and bump your rod out from under your armpit.

Many sling bags nowadays are made to be used on either shoulder with a slight modification in where the strap attaches to the lower part of the bag, and even have a place for you to slide a net into them, like some of the bags we sell from Fishpond like the Flathead Sling and the Delta Sling.

Some sling bags are made to be only worn over your right shoulder only and are not adjustable to either side, like the waterproof Fishpond Thunderhead Sling and Umpqua ZeroSweep 2 Sling.

The thing with these packs is they let you comfortably carry a lot of gear high up out of the water.  For short guys like me, a godsend.  For tall guys like Dan Lazenby, not essential.  But what they’re especially good at is carrying a lot of stuff and fair warning – because you CAN carry a ton of gear, your probably will try.

I using one of the Fishpond Delta sling packs because I’m usually teaching or helping and I need to carry extra gear, and a bottle of water.  With the water bottle (usually a stainless Yeti Rambler) my pack weighs 15lbs.  Not ideal when trying to be a minimalist.

Hope that helps.

http://www.tpfr.org

Owen Williams

Jun 26, 2020, 7:56:37 AM6/26/20
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Just wanted to jump in to say that I really like my Simms Freestone Ambi Tactical Sling that I picked up at District Angling (specs are here: https://www.simmsfishing.com/freestone-ambi-tactical-sling-s19).

It converts to either shoulder and is extremely lightweight, but more importantly, it makes me think about what I need to carry for that day. Not waterproof, but it does dry quickly (ask me how I know).

Best,
Owen

http://www.tpfr.org

namfos

Jun 26, 2020, 3:34:38 PM6/26/20
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Oh, yeah, I know what you're talking about, Owen. 😜 I have a couple of fast drying fanny packs myself.

Mark

On Friday, June 26, 2020 at 7:56:37 AM UTC-4, Owen Williams wrote:
Just wanted to jump in ... but it does dry quickly (ask me how I know).

namfos

Jun 26, 2020, 3:35:05 PM6/26/20
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Thanks, Rich!

BruceC2C

Jun 28, 2020, 8:25:16 PM6/28/20
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Somewhat slingPak related.

Hope this link carries....
T Rosenbauer has many great qualities.
Minimalism is DEF not one of them.

https://m.facebook.com/thenewflyfisher/videos/170087617602514/

namfos

Jun 29, 2020, 3:09:21 PM6/29/20
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Thanks for putting that up, Bruce. Like many, I've been at this long enough that every time out, esp wading, I try to carry as little as possible. Even then when all is said and done I have to ask myself, "why on earth did you take THAT with you?"

Mark

Carl Z.

Jun 29, 2020, 10:15:46 PM6/29/20
On Mon, Jun 29, 2020 at 3:09 PM namfos <mark....@gmail.com> wrote:
Thanks for putting that up, Bruce. Like many, I've been at this long enough that every time out, esp wading, I try to carry as little as possible. Even then when all is said and done I have to ask myself, "why on earth did you take THAT with you?"
This is clearly from not fishing enough.  The more you fish a specific water, the more you know what to leave behind.

If you fish enough, all you need is a hat with a few flies and a spool of tippet.  Right?

The last time I was out, I had a chest box and a sling pack.... and some stuff in my shirt pocket.

namfos

Jun 30, 2020, 9:30:04 AM6/30/20
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Touché, Carl!