Materials & Craft Stores

namfos

Feb 16, 2017, 8:51:22 AM2/16/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Actually this post is apropos not much at all.

I tripped over this blog post by Ed Engle: http://edengleflyfishing.com/lone-angler-journal/, and was struck by these lines which reminded me of a conversation at Monday's Beer Tie about shopping craft stores for fly tying materials:

This all reminds me of something Mike Lawson said many years at a fly tying demonstration. “If you find a fly tying material you like you better buy a life time supply of it because you can be sure it will be unavailable sooner or later.”

It’s an absolute fly tying truth.

Mark

darbrewe

Feb 16, 2017, 8:19:23 PM2/16/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Hey Mark,

That was me you were talking to. I was kvetching about the tiny pkgs of Chenille that are available at fly shops.
Wound up going to Joanne's and spending $40 on everything but Chenille.

Darryl

Carl Z.

Feb 16, 2017, 8:38:16 PM2/16/17
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I thought a skein of Patton's Bohemien Yarn (chennile) would last me a lifetime, but I'm running low on black and I'm out of arctic white. Of course I haven't seen it in a few years, so I have had to move to something else.

Speaking of Chenille, what brand do you get from the craft store?  Lion brand just looks awful when it gets wet.  Sometimes it's worth buying the card at the fly shop, but I do cringe every time.

Carl

Carl

--
Carl Zmola

--
http://www.tpfr.org

namfos

Feb 17, 2017, 10:24:28 AM2/17/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Even without chenille, you obviously found some usefull stuff! I almost never come out of one of those stores empty handed.

Mark

namfos

Feb 17, 2017, 10:28:40 AM2/17/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Carl:

I have a bunch of white and some olive - don't recollect brand or where I bought them  - probably Michaels. I could bring to a beer tie or to the PHW Marathon at USMC Museum at Quantico on March 18. You might look at the Bernat chenille in the knitting yarn aisle - last time I was in Michaels they only had the extremely large stuff, didn't see any of smaller size suitable for fly tying.

Mark

namfos

Feb 20, 2017, 7:41:04 AM2/20/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Carl:

I was in Joanne's yesterday and the Bernat Baby Blanket yarn might be a decent substitute for your chenille needs.

Mark

Carl Z.

Feb 20, 2017, 9:45:26 PM2/20/17
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
The color selection on the baby blanket yarn is a bit limited.  Olive and brown are conspicuously missing.  I don't think I have actually tried the Berat baby blanket yarn, but it looked a bit off from what I want.

But everybody loves a Parfait.

Now if they just made it in olive and brown.

Here is some fun stuff "fur" that you can palmer onto your wooly buggers.
Inline image 2
Inline image 1
​​

Carl

--
Carl Zmola

--
http://www.tpfr.org

namfos

Feb 21, 2017, 11:29:14 AM2/21/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Hmm, I didn't see the Fur at the Wheaton Joanne's....always pays to browse - I went home with a couple of sheets of 6mm thick foam and some brush-on cyanoacrylate  glue.

Mark

On Monday, February 20, 2017 at 9:45:26 PM UTC-5, Carl wrote:
The color selection on the baby blanket yarn is a bit limited.  Olive and brown are conspicuously missing.  I don't think I have actually tried the Berat baby blanket yarn, but it looked a bit off from what I want.

Matthew Longley

Feb 23, 2017, 10:16:53 PM2/23/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Yea craft stores are all fine and good until you tie a red craft store guinea hen collar on a white streamer and fish it pink in 20 minutes...

TurbineBlade

Feb 26, 2017, 2:44:33 PM2/26/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Throw those away -- those fish won't hit a pink and white streamer.

Gene

namfos

Feb 27, 2017, 9:29:44 AM2/27/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders