Lake Of Monsters

tatu...@gmail.com

Jul 21, 2018, 1:46:01 PM7/21/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders

Location: 38.347883, -77.023483
Time of day: 1200-1500
Partial overcast
Light winds from NE

Someone asked if bass were biting top water lures....well let me tell you a story.

If you have govt access to Navy bases...this lake (Hideaway Lake) has monsters in it.  I had heard in the past there were some big fish in here, and I have caught a few smaller ones over the years.  That changed yesterday.

Hit the shoreline and put my green/white clouser minnow in for a few casts since I didn't see any top water action.  Nothing.

Grabbed a teal colored popper and tied it on.  I was fishing ~5 to 15' along the brush banks of the pond.  I cast a few and on my third since switching to top water, just as I was about to pull and start to recast...it happened.  Time slowed down, a "white" shadow started to appear under my popper.  Instantly I thought darn snapping turtle is going to take my lure, then quickly turned to …..are there carp in here.  Then this white mass turns into a bass the size of a METRO bus.  It takes the popper and just lays over and starts back down.  I just stood there completely alone in the woods yelping "Holy S*&T, Holy S&^T...what am I going to do".  I have seen some big bass down in Florida, but not this massive.  It starts to fight but it's more like a block of cement than a spirited bass.  He/she comes up near the surface a few times, it's so big it can't jump clear of the water.  By this time I jinxed myself asking in my head how I am going to get it near the shore so I start climbing down and thinking trophy wall.  Just as I start to roll him/her on toward the shore...the popper comes out and the bass slides back into the water.  It was like the scene in JAWS when the shark take down the three barrels.  I stood there like Quint just stunned.  Nobody will believe me.

About 20 or so minutes later as I work the lake...another monster grabs on.  Slightly smaller than the first...probably a SUV vice a METRO bus.  Same thing...start climbing down and out pops the lure.  Now I am pissed.

I caught a fair share of bluegill (very good fighters from this pond, but average size), and a few smaller bass.

I tie a dark brown popper on and don't get a single bite.

Still working the shoreline....I switch to a yellow popper. That did it.

Over the next hours...I work the shoreline back and the below pics are two of the larger fish I managed to pull out.

Overall...a awesome day on a lake that is strictly catch and release (except for trophy fish...which I can say 110% they are in here).

If you can get here, grab your floating line and popper...fish up and down the shoreline out to about 20' offshore...and have a blast.

So whoever asked if fish were taking top water lures....I can say they are.

Cheers
Collin

Jacques Vilar

Jul 21, 2018, 4:07:47 PM7/21/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Well done!!

Dave Stephenson

Jul 22, 2018, 8:12:34 AM7/22/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Huzzah! I need to make a couple hours available to amble down there. Do you know if float tubes are permitted?

Art Friedlander

Jul 23, 2018, 1:26:21 PM7/23/18
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com, tatu...@gmail.com
Where is this located?
Is this on a Navy base near here?

Jul 23, 2018, 2:14:06 PM7/23/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I spent 2 years here supporting the Dahlgren History Project.  I used to drive over all the creeks and want to fish.  I carpooled with a number of others, so never was able to stay late or come in early to fish unless I wanted to drive the 40 minutes from Fredericksburg on my own time.

I am regretting that decision!

Would be need popping a topwater bug with the electromagnetic railgun "popping" in the background

tatu...@gmail.com

Jul 23, 2018, 10:42:47 PM7/23/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
This lake is located on Naval Surface Warfare Center Dahlgren.  I believe you can put non-motored boats in the lake, there are canoe racks and a few boats near the parking area of the lake.  I have been thinking myself about a belly boat, not only for this lake, but also that lake across from Gravely Point (is that Duck Pond/Lake??).

Just cut and paste the location below into Goggle Maps and it should bring it up.

Cheers
Collin

Art Friedlander

Jul 24, 2018, 9:00:19 AM7/24/18
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Thanks very much

Sep 21, 2018, 12:48:39 PM9/21/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Hit the lake again on Wednesday.  Plenty of spirited bluegill and 8-12+ bass.  Then I caught this whopper.  I would say 21+ inches and in the 8-10lb class.  He wouldn't fit in my net.  The smaller fish fight more.  This big fella sucked in my popper...went for a very brief run then jumped once...then turned into a side of ham.  Just layed on his side and let me pull him to shore.

Pics showing an example of the smaller types...then the "whopper".
9'/7wt floating line on an Orvis rod/reel...throwing a yellow-based surface popper.

Cheers
Collin

smaller bass 19sept.JPG
big bass wont fit 19sept.JPG
big bass napping before release 19sept.JPG

Andrew Sarcinello

Sep 21, 2018, 4:18:12 PM9/21/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Sweet fish Collin!  Largemouths sometimes seem like they have personalities when they fight. I swear some understand that if they give up they will get reeled in and released faster.

A 21" range bass would typically weigh about 5 lbs as an FYI. But regardless it is awesome to take one that size on a popper!

HeaveToo

Sep 25, 2018, 3:22:18 PM9/25/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I caught my very first fish on the fly from Hideaway Pond many, many, many years ago.  My father was a Criminal Investigator at Dahlgren and he worked for DOD.

That is an interesting lake with good cover in some areas.  Good fishing from a kayak or a canoe.

It use to be that there were a lot of snakes in that area, especially copperheads.  Be careful!