One hand or two? Steelhead on the Salmon River

keith wrightson

Aug 13, 2014, 9:48:28 PM8/13/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
All,

I am ready to head north in October for some steelhead action. Been poking around, and trying to figure out if my 8wt is going to work out or should I make a move to a spey rig?

Also, does anyone know of a spey casting/instruction event in the near future? I think I would like to try before I make the investment.

Thank you,

Keith Wrightson

Ken Fugate

Aug 14, 2014, 3:14:20 AM8/14/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Keith,

Your 8 weight single hander is a good rod to start with.  It is perfect for indicator nymphing and you will also be able to swing flies if you want to.

A Spey rod is perfect for swinging flies, especially when it's windy or limited space behind you.  With some practice, you will be easily throwing 79-80 foot casts all day and be much less tired in the evening.

An 11 foot switch rod will do both well, but is harder to learn to spey cast with but will mend line better than a 9 foot single hander when nymphing.

I either carry a spey rod if I'm just swinging on a larger river or a switch rod on a smaller river with two spools if I may do both swinging and nymphing.  The two spools are a skagit head and a double taper (or weight forward) two sizes heavier than the switch rod weight.  For example, I have a 6wt switch and I use a 390 grain skagit or an 8wt double taper.

Ken ...
--
http://www.tpfr.org

Ken Fugate

Aug 14, 2014, 3:23:56 AM8/14/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
TPFR also does casting clinics about once a month down at Fletcher's Cove on the Potomac for both single and two handers.  If you want to try/practice two handed casting bring waders as you will be wading out knee to thigh deep.

On Aug 14, 2014, at 3:48 AM, keith wrightson <organ...@gmail.com> wrote:

Organizerx

Aug 14, 2014, 7:09:33 AM8/14/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
That's great, thanks for the information Ken. I will keep an eye out for the next event at Fletcher's.

Keith
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.

Terry C

Yambag Nelson

Aug 18, 2014, 9:45:59 AM8/18/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Either will work. I use an 11 foot switch up there but plenty of people use full 13+ ft speys.  If it is a regular trip I would just go ahead and buy one as the fact that you are considering it says you will make the investment at some point.  Might as well do it now.  FWIW, since taking up the spey a several years ago I have had absolutely no desire to nymph for steelhead.

As an aside, I would delay your trip a few weeks and go in November if possible.