Duck Pond and river conditions

Barracuda

Apr 16, 2019, 11:18:56 AM4/16/19
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
When the rains come, the river muddies, and the water level rises -- e.g., to more than 5 feet on the Little Falls gauge -- is the Duck Pond still fishable or does it get muddy too?

Scott Stankus

Apr 16, 2019, 2:53:03 PM4/16/19
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
It also gets muddy. But it can still fish well when it's muddy!

--
http://www.tpfr.org

"There are 10 types of people in this world, those who know binary, and those who don't"

Jamie Carracher

chad tokowicz

Scott Stankus

Apr 16, 2019, 5:59:57 PM4/16/19
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
The duck pond is just another name for Roaches Run Waterfowl Sanctuary, on the west side of the George Washington Memorial Parkway near Reagan National airport. It has a number of species including largemouth bass, snakeheads, carp and catfish.

I have fished it both on foot and from the canoe. If you’re on foot, I’d suggest keeping to the south end of the pond -  between the airport exit and the channel that passes under the parkway.

Park in the lot for the Waterfowl Sanctuary (aka the lot that is full of cars for hire waiting to pick people up at the airport) and walk along the parkway on the small bridge over the channel. You can either follow the path around to the water and get in there or keep walking along the parkway and get in at the southern end of the pond.

As for the canoe, there’s a small access point along the edge of the pond at the north end of the parking lot.

Good luck!

—Scott

Sent from my iPhone

chad tokowicz

Apr 16, 2019, 6:11:15 PM4/16/19
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
OH. yeah, i light that place up.......... have had some epic days recently and it will only continue to get better. Thanks for keeping me in the Know and do like that we refer to it as the Duck Pond to keep it on the DL.

With that said - how has everyone been doing there? Managed to have a multi species day picking up carp, gizzard shad, LMB and a few crappies!!! Gizzard shad scared the shit out of me, nasty fish.

Matt Wuerker

Apr 16, 2019, 8:28:49 PM4/16/19
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Legal question about the Duck Pond. A DC license does one no good there I’m guessing. No reciprocity?  I mean the airport is DCA not VCA....

Scott Stankus

Apr 17, 2019, 6:57:06 AM4/17/19
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
You are correct - no reciprocity that I know of. To legally fish the Duck Pond, I believe you need a valid Virginia license.

--Scott

Andrew Sarcinello

Apr 17, 2019, 9:42:16 AM4/17/19
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
That is correct - and I've been checked there twice, so definitely carry your VA license on you while there to make things easier.

http://www.tpfr.org

http://www.tpfr.org

http://www.tpfr.org

http://www.tpfr.org

Daniel Lazenby

Apr 17, 2019, 10:47:45 AM4/17/19
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
A couple of odd rambling things?

The airport is actually within the Virginia State borders. DC border only extends up to somewhere around the mean high water line of the Potomac River on Virginia side.

The "Duck Pond" is within the Virginia State border but is actually National Park Service Land and part of George Washington Memorial Parkway. Seems the northbound GW Parkway lanes establishes the DC-Virginia border over Roaches Run inlet. So what is the position of the NPS on fishing Waterfowl Sanctuary? Do they have one? Is the act of  fishing considered harrassing waterfowl?

Fish Fourmile Run downstream of the Route 1 Bridge and you are in DC waters. Fish upstream, how ever slight, and you are in Virginia. Again it seems the bridge establishes the DC-Virginia border over this water.

The weird stuff you find when trying to understand where and what you need to simply go fishing.

Daniel

Matt Wuerker

Apr 17, 2019, 10:55:15 AM4/17/19
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Daniel.  So does that mean fishing the channel between the GW Parkway and the Potomac you don't need a Virginia license?

chad tokowicz

Apr 17, 2019, 2:02:08 PM4/17/19
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Daniel - i find that to be safe I just have a DC and VA license with all necessary stamps whenever fishing the Potomac just so if I get called out I will more likely than not be covered. Also, is there ANY signage around there? I have not noticed any.

Daniel Lazenby

Apr 17, 2019, 5:34:27 PM4/17/19
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com

Carl Z.

Apr 19, 2019, 6:59:39 PM4/19/19
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
If in doubt, the officer is always right. :)

That, and don't mess with the TSA/Airport security folks.

Carl

--
Carl Zmola