Four Mile Run: Week of December 18th

BigtimeBG

Nov 27, 2017, 3:37:05 PM11/27/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Hey All. I have never fished Four Mile run and am a pretty novice fly fisherman. I have heard that Four Mile Run fishes well all year but was curious of everyone's thoughts on that. I have the week before Christmas off and am just looking to do some outdoorsy stuff... figured this would be a chance to test out FMR. Any thoughts, recommendations, or if anyone wants to go(!), would be a huge help!

Thanks in advance for any guidance!
Brian

San-Eou Lan

Nov 27, 2017, 4:47:40 PM11/27/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Four Mile Run is historically very productive for me, especially near the warmwater discharge. However, I went out there last Thursday and didn't catch anything and I didn't even see many fish. It was very strange, and I'm hoping that I was just having an off day.

ALarge

Nov 30, 2017, 4:52:59 PM11/30/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
That's the first time I've heard fishing Four Mile Run described as "outdoorsy."

FMR is a good spot in the winter. Keep in mind that it is tidal so you'll want to watch the tides.

Urban Adventures

Dec 2, 2017, 12:16:01 PM12/2/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I can confirm this as well. Spent a few hours there this morning. They cleared out all the brush along the bank past the discharge that used to always hold streamer slamming spots. Managed to catch some decent pan fish but didn’t see any thing close to being worthwhile.