SWITCH ROD COMBO FOR THE POTOMAC

IQ

Apr 23, 2016, 8:36:52 PM4/23/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
All, good evening. I've been wanting to learn how to use a switch rod primarily for fishing the Potomac. I'm a pretty avid fly fisherman and fly tyer and know the local Va waters pretty well. I spend most of my time in the Shenandoah and the Potomac around Fort Belvoir and Quantico. I'm thinking a switch rod will give me more distance and increase my fishing capabilities overall. Since Urban Angler shutdown I don't have many places to go except maybe Orvis so I'd like to get any recommendations from you on potential switch rod and reel combos. From what I've read, and like normal fly fishing, the correct rod and reel relies heavily on the individual but I still want a starting point. As for price, I'd like to keep it below $500 for everything. Appreciate any input. Thanks. Q

Adam Soller

Apr 24, 2016, 9:06:45 AM4/24/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders

Davala sold me on a 11' 7wt Helios a few years back that was on sale prior to the H2 switch coming out. I've landed Shad on the Potomac and smallies on both forks with it.

Not sure what the current offerings are at Orvis, but that size may be an option for you to consider.

IQ

Apr 24, 2016, 9:40:04 AM4/24/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Thanks Adam, I was thinking that's the size and length for my needs. I know Dan and he knew these waters well so that's good info. Can you tell me what line you're using?  Thanks again for responding.

Daniel Davala

Apr 24, 2016, 10:52:39 AM4/24/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Thanks for the honorable mention fellas!  I have the same rod I sold Adam and I throw a 450 grain Skagit Flight (both floating and int.) on it.  For Scandi, I like something in the range of 380grains and less than 30' total.  Of course, the actual line will vary depending on the rod chosen and what the caster likes personally, but that should give you a good ball park.

About the rod size, I still believe that a #7 switch is the most versatile all-around size though others may have their own valid opinions.  There really isn't much you can't do with it.  It may be a bit heavier than necessary for the avg. Smallie or Potomac Schoolie, but it will chuck all the necessary flies for both with ease, and a good long way when necessary.  It's also perfect for Silvers, Atlantics, Steelhead, etc., so if your interests go in that direction you'll have a great setup for those as well.

The current offering at Orvis that fits your budget are the Clearwater switch rods.  I did a bit of field testing with these (on the Potomac while still at Arlington) and they certainly compete with everything out there at that price point.  But, you will also find great offerings from Echo, Redington, TFO, and others, so you should weigh all of your options based on your own preferences.

As far as the local shop situation goes, I can say that Tom G. in Arlington is plenty knowledgeable and experienced with two-handed options both Switch and Spey, so you could pick his brain there.  But, I think the opinions you'll hear from other TPFRers (including Adam) are valuable and valid as well.

All the Very Best

Dan

--
http://www.tpfr.org

Yambag Nelson

Apr 24, 2016, 11:16:24 AM4/24/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I am a big fan of echo two handed rods and think they are the best value for the price. Great warranty/customer service.

One thing you could consider is getting a used rod. I bet if you shipped around on Spey pages you could find a great deal as people are constantly unloading rods on there. It would be one way to get more rod for your buck.

One other thing you may want to consider is if you really want a switch rod or if a "full" Spey might be better. My first two hander was a switch and I find that I really don't use it that much unless I am fishing the smaller Erie tribs.

If you were really just going to use it on the Potomac and shenandoah then I would go with a lighter rod, but a 7 is more versatile if you think you will be doing much steelhead fishing, especially out west.

Daniel Davala

Apr 24, 2016, 11:26:25 AM4/24/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Great points Yambag.  Just to clarify my above comments, I think a #7 is the most versatile all-around "Switch" rod size since that was the original topic.  If you do choose to go "Spey" length, that opens a whole new (and fun) can of worms with more opinions than fish in the river!

Have fun in the process!

Dan

--
http://www.tpfr.org

IQ

Apr 24, 2016, 8:33:50 PM4/24/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Thanks for the info Gentlemen. I've learned through my fly fishing years of mission creep so I'll get something adaptable for the region and when I travel. Probably stick with a 7wt 11ft-ish. Now I need to get smart on all these rods, Skagits, Scandis, etc. Please keep the info coming if you have more. Q

peter odell

Apr 28, 2016, 9:44:09 AM4/28/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
\\
I would echo the ECHO recommendation, I've had my 11'3" 8wt rod for 4 years now, and it has been fantastic in the salt, in bit rivers, and everywhere else I've used it.  It casts really well overhead out of a kayak.

Adam Soller

Apr 28, 2016, 2:29:06 PM4/28/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Look at Beulah too, they don't get much love in the Mid-Atlantic given their Northwest routes, but the guys in the Great Lakes like them.  I have a 10'4 6wt.

New ones go for $500 but you can get them off speypages sometimes for $250-300.

Yambag Nelson

Apr 28, 2016, 2:37:02 PM4/28/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
They are great rods.  I have an 11' 8 wt that I like alot, but I have also fished their 13'2 7 wt.  REALLY great rod.  The Platinum series are all I have fished and would highly recommend them.  They are a bit more expensive though.

IQ

Apr 28, 2016, 4:23:07 PM4/28/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Thanks for the recommendations. I just bought an 11ft 7wt TFO Deer Creek. I'll look into Echo and Beulah as I expand my collection of rods. Like most I have too many rods but I'm not stopping. I may also grow into Spey rods. Thanks again. Q

Rob Snowhite

Apr 28, 2016, 4:42:53 PM4/28/16
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Deer Creek is a great rod. Client used one last week for shad and got into them more with the long rod than client with 9' rod.

Sent from my iPhone
--
http://www.tpfr.org