New fisher in the area

Landon

Jan 20, 2014, 1:20:14 PM1/20/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Good Afternoon everyone.  My name is Landon and I just recently moved to the D.C./Baltimore area.  I met Trent and he informed me about the group this weekend....I have been looking through it ever since.  I'm still a rookie fly fisher, and I am sure I look more like an idiot than a fisher when I go out.  I look forward to coming to a beer tie and hopefully go out fishing with a couple of you some day.

namfos

Jan 22, 2014, 9:00:49 AM1/22/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Welcome to DC, Landon. I've been at it for a while and I still appear to be an idiot at least a couple of times per outing. ;-)

Mark
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

BruceC2C

Jan 22, 2014, 11:17:54 AM1/22/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com

Welcome Landon.
As you will develop your skills and experience...a time tested nugget of wisdom credited to your FF Forefathers( but not DryFly Purists)..
" the difference between a poor day and a good day fly fishing, is often one BB Split Shot added to your tippet"

Terry C

Jan 22, 2014, 3:14:44 PM1/22/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Hi Landon, welcome to the area.  Lots of experienced fisher-people in this group with loads of info.  Use the search topics option on the page , there is already a wealth of information here.  My profession is teaching and remember there are no stupid questions.  Ask and you will receive.  Very giving bunch on this forum.

Landon

Jan 24, 2014, 1:52:02 PM1/24/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com

Thanks for the welcome everyone.  I really like all the knowledge on the forum and really like TPFR so far.

I should get some pretty good casting practice as this is my backyard..........but I have no clue what kind of fish could be in there.

namfos

Jan 24, 2014, 3:27:13 PM1/24/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Well, Landon, where is your backyard? What body of water is that?

Mark

Jeffrey Silvan

Jan 24, 2014, 3:28:16 PM1/24/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
The best way to find out is throwing out a line!

--
http://www.tpfr.org

Landon

Jan 24, 2014, 3:57:20 PM1/24/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
It doesn't have a name. It's here in Severn though in Harmans Woods. Guessing prob bass? Once it gets warmer I'll throw some flies out there.

namfos

Jan 24, 2014, 4:06:06 PM1/24/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Possibly bass and panfish.  Jeff, above, has the right idea.

Jeffrey Silvan

Jan 24, 2014, 4:06:20 PM1/24/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Basically any body of water around here will have at least bass and sunfish. It'll probably also have some catfish, maybe some crappie and perch too. If it is a natural body of water, probably pickerel too. Pickerel are less likely if it is a man made body of water.

On Fri, Jan 24, 2014 at 3:57 PM, Landon <land...@gmail.com> wrote:
It doesn't have a name. It's here in Severn though in Harmans Woods.  Guessing prob bass? Once it gets warmer I'll throw some flies out there.
--
http://www.tpfr.org

Landon

Jan 24, 2014, 4:59:07 PM1/24/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I'm pretty sure it's man made. Think it's too cold to throw a line out tomorrow?

TurbineBlade

Jan 24, 2014, 5:11:41 PM1/24/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
It's never to cold to work on your casting ;).  Is the water frozen near the bank?  It's hard to tell...

You could at minimum do some good roll casts if you have water along the bank that you can walk up to easily.  I use a lot of roll and spey casts when trout fishing and think they're some of the more useful casts to use, period.

Welcome to the club!  It's a good one -- very helpful and friendly folks who are willing to pass along good information.

There's this one idiot 'Gene' who doesn't take anything seriously and who posts here far too often when he should contributing to society, combing his hair, keeping his pants up, etc.  Don't talk to him.

Anyway - there are also casting clinics on random Sundays with helpful people there as well.  That's how I started.  I'm a big believer in better cast =  better fishing.

Gene (not Gene the Troll, he's a different idiot on here)

Landon

Jan 26, 2014, 8:57:00 AM1/26/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
The water is frozen, I'm an idiot.  But hey, I have a large backyard so I guess I can at least work on my casting back there.

I would love to attend a casting clinic.  I feel like I am starting to get better one second, then the next my line is tangled everywhere.......(That may also have something to do with the size fly I had with my tippet.)

Look forward to meeting everyone.

-Landon