Lefty's Tiefest? Looking for info on it.

Aaron O

Feb 27, 2015, 7:12:36 PM2/27/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Can anyone tell me about Tiefest? I can't get a clear answer about how this event goes.  Including what to expect, what is the cost?… etc…  I tried looking on line and tried the Facebook page but that was no help.

Anyone else going?

Aaron O

Feb 27, 2015, 7:22:25 PM2/27/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I found out the cost so don't worry about that part.  Free for CCA members and $10 for non members.

Message has been deleted

Scott Stankus

Feb 27, 2015, 8:02:00 PM2/27/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Only thing Gene missed is there are fly tying celebrities there. And a casting demo by Lefty.

Sent from my iPhone

On Feb 27, 2015, at 7:49 PM, TurbineBlade <doubl...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hey A -- I'm on a bar stool at the moment,  but can help!  We went 2 years ago?  The deal is this:  You pay money, and then enter a building where you can buy stuff at the same price you can at places where you don't pay money.  If you're the kind of person who would set up a tent right next to the only other people camping at the park on a particular night because being around people brings you comfort, you'd like tie-fests.

Gene

--
http://www.tpfr.org
Message has been deleted

Rob Snowhite

Tony Friedrich

Mar 1, 2015, 2:23:41 PM3/1/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Aaron,
I started this event from nothing over a decade ago.  It's grown because it is supported by everyone that registers on the radar for fly fishing in our area.  I've never made a dime off it.  The idea behind it was to bring folks together.   There will be 5 fly shops, luminaries of the sport like Bob Pop, Lefty, Clouser, Jonny King, Pat Cohen... many others.  There are also seminars Blane Chocklett on Musky, Kevin Josenhans on Crisfield....
It is free for members and $10 for non members.
In regards to the negative comments.... I don't really know what to say. The minimal amount that CCA Maryland gets from the event goes directly to do things like I don't know... save 330 million menhaden , preserve speckled trout for generations to come, and be the leader on real reductions on striped bass.... and that was last year.  Those aren't false or exaggerated claims. The entire story is much more impressive.
You won't be disappointed if you come.

All the best,
Tony
Message has been deleted

Morgan Kupfer

Mar 1, 2015, 3:30:53 PM3/1/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Hey Aaron, Tie Fest is actually a great time. Most of Maryland's fly shops (plus Urban Angler of VA) come up and have gear/materials for sale, with some at "show" prices. Some people think you can just goto any shop and buy stuff but this allows different shops to bring different materials and flies that work in their specific region. You'll find that some of the shops bring the same gear but some have it for better prices giving you options. The seminars, demos, and tiers are always sharing a vast amount of knowledge, I've learned something new every year for the last 7 years. TPFR did have a table there I believe two years ago and that was actually where I was first introduced to the group.

This year features Lefty (who just turned 90 and is still going strong), Popovics, Clouser and Clouser Jr., and then from a local level, Capt. Chris Newsome of Chesapeake Bay Fly Fishing & Light Tackle, Micah Danmeyer of Knee Deep Fly Fishing, William Heresniak of Eastern Trophies, Pat Cohen of R U Superfly (master deer hair spinner), the musky man himself Blane Chocklett, and many more. Its a $10 entry fee which is not only admittance but a donation towards CCA (so a get a receipt for taxes). Becoming a member for the $30 annual fee (also a donation) will get you in as well. There are a lot of featured artists and photographers which also round the show out for seeing how they can portray our region through their mediums.

This is the 15th year of Tie Fest. It started in a basement and has grown exponentially since, this year will more than likely be the largest and busiest. The venue is great, right on a pond, so you can take out rods and do demos and try out different reels, lines, rods, and more. There is good parking and because the event is small (compared to the national shows), you can actually sit down with Lefty, the tiers, the sales reps, the shop owners, and chat, share a beer or even lunch with them at the attached bar (the food is actually pretty good). And finally, there is a small film showing during the show and banquet after (info on that at www.ccmd.org).

That said, I hope to see you up there, its set to be a pretty good time.

Morgan

Morgan Kupfer

Mar 1, 2015, 3:44:17 PM3/1/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Gene, you have to realize that to some, including the younger people in this sport, the guys that are on The Outdoor Channel (Lefty, Clouser, etc), or have their names on a new product (Blane's articulated shanks), and that have a very vast social media presence like Cohen, Popvics...all of which helped move the sport forward, are celebrities. In fact, they are legends.

To the guy who ties a few flies a year and gets up to the Gunpowder, or Yellow Breeches, or casts a line in the Potomac occasionally, this is a meeting of people who share a similar love to those who also attend the event and this is a good excuse for them to get out and tell stories, see the newest gear, and pick up some hooks and chenille. Others, like those of us on TPFR, that care about a resource we fish, the Tidal Potomac, and potentially unconsciously care for what organizations like CCA and what they do to maintain the integrity of the resource...this is a great opportunity to not just goto just another show or as you said "others" that you've attended. This is an opportunity, by walking through the doors, to support said organization and show a respect and admiration for that resource that is being protected. And the final group, those of us who live to fish with a healthy addiction to tossing a fly, this means all the above and then some in seeing great friends, putting our hands on the gear we've been reading about, sharing on social media, and waiting to form an opinion on.

If you call yourself a fly fisherman, and truly care about the sport, even as just a hobby, you have a subconscious respect for the fish and its habitat. That, that is why this even is not like the other events, why Tony, among many others, dump a lot of time into this event...to make it different, and what it is.

Morgan

On Sunday, March 1, 2015 at 3:29:43 PM UTC-5, TurbineBlade wrote:
Yes, I'm sure the proceeds from various "fests" go to save the bay, and bunker/crabs, and all that good stuff.  I don't separate this event from the others I've attended.

We work closely with "industry" during the weekdays and have a very thorough understanding of the idea of "celebrity".  How it relates to something as silly as fishing is kind of odd.

We'd both sooner have a cabin in the Shenandoah N.P.

Gene

Morgan Kupfer

Mar 1, 2015, 3:50:39 PM3/1/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
CCAMD.org
Message has been deleted

Sean

Mar 1, 2015, 4:47:17 PM3/1/15
On Friday, February 27, 2015 at 7:12:36 PM UTC-5, Aaron O wrote:
> Can anyone tell me about Tiefest? I can't get a clear answer about how this event goes.  Including what to expect, what is the cost?… etc…  I tried looking on line and tried the Facebook page but that was no help.
>

> Anyone else going?

The cost is $10 to get into the event $6 to cross the bay bridge and gas. I guess I am repeating somethings previously stated. If fish this region or along the east coast you will enjoy yourself. I missed the Lancaster show this weekend. Tie Fest for me is more enjoyable and way less crowded. This event is more hands on and personal. There is a range of information on all species of fish from fly tying to fly techniques. Plus you get enjoy a day on the eastern shore. Tie Fest on fb. There are updates and listings on the facebook page. The Kevin Josenhans seminar is great and caught a flounder in NC from the information he shared.

Morgan Kupfer

Mar 1, 2015, 9:12:16 PM3/1/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Kevin is a great dude and FULL of info that applies to a lot of places, I'm really excited to see his seminar again this year. Lancaster was great yesterday, really packed, actually about as much as Somerset (weather worked against the NJ show this year). I 100% agree with you, the smaller size of Tie Fest makes it worth wile in it of itself.

Morgan

Morgan Kupfer

Mar 1, 2015, 9:23:23 PM3/1/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com

I was out as well. Amazing to watch these ducks congregate on open water. The Severn is full of Cans, Lesser Scaups, Redheads, Ruddys and Mallards with a few Black ducks mixed in right now (worth the trip if you can over the next few days before warm weather moves in...amazing sights and sounds, completely worth fighting the frigid temps.

With a bachelors in biopsychology with an environmental science minor, I get where your coming from too. I can't disagree with you at all regarding brown trout. I do catch them, often...its hard not to with the states stocking program...so I embrace them. Im familiar with Battery Kemble, I actually caught one of my first carp on the fly near the mouth of it years ago and nearly caught a snakehead there last Spring.

Regarding events, to each their own, I understand if being social isn't your thing and maintaining the sport as a personal hobby is. All I ask is that you give others a chance to enjoy an event, make their own judgement after experiencing it first-hand and maybe have a little respect for a 90 year old man that helped evolve the sport into what it is today.

Morgan

On Sunday, March 1, 2015 at 4:40:05 PM UTC-5, TurbineBlade wrote:
Morgan - I don't know you either but I can show you a great picture of a Canvasback I took yesterday on 4MR when I was there....and as usual, alone with frozen hands.  It's the first Canvasback I've seen in 6 years of living here and a beautiful one at that.  I can show you HUNDREDS (thousands?) of pictures of wildlife I've taken while fishing on our local waters, and few (if any) people on here have taken more time to share this with the group.  I require no lessons on respecting any resource ;).

My wife and I are both wildlife biologists and have been involved in virtually every conservation/stream sampling-monitoring organization that exists.  I have a basement full of old seine nets, buckets, and old aquarium parts I had from keeping native fishes (NANFA -- I was a member for several years).  http://www.nanfa.org/

I can probably guess the ph, conductivity, E.coli, etc. of "Battery Kemble" (or most other DC streams) at any given moment and be fairly close to the real figure - this is the stream which flows very near to where they rent boats at Fletcher's boathouse that you drive over before going under the tunnel, probably without thinking a thing about it.

Fishermen do a lot of good (even great) things for conservation, but they also knowingly or unknowingly support things which are directly at-odds with protecting resources.....like, well...anything related to brown trout in this entire country.  It's just fact -- I don't care in the least, but it's true.  So everyone should be somewhat cynical about any overly broad statements made about how great fly fishing is.

I still consider most fly events to be predominately social events, and there's nothing wrong with that -- it just isn't our thing.  I've listened to enough people talk now for a lifetime.

Don't worry - once the weather turns I'll be outdoors 24/7 and the forum will see a 40% decrease in cynical comments ;).

Gene

Morgan Kupfer

Mar 1, 2015, 9:27:20 PM3/1/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com

Didn't get a great picture of the Bald Eagles sparring over the ducks, but heres the best I got...

Message has been deleted

TurbineBlade

Mar 3, 2015, 8:17:06 PM3/3/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Apologies -- here are a few positive things I recall from this fest in particular:

1.  A set-up for breast cancer awareness
2.  Good food in that bar/restaurant area
3.  Kind of a pretty location
4.  If you like gear and stuff, you can certainly find it

Check it out and see if it's your thing.

Gene

Casey Peltier

Mar 4, 2015, 9:10:28 AM3/4/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Gene,
We're thrilled that you remember that Casting for Recovery goes to TieFest!

We're there to spread the word about our twice-yearly fly fishing retreats for breast cancer survivors to our fellow anglers. We hope you'll all take our flyers and tell every brave lady you know who has battled breast cancer about our healing retreats. Fly fishing is a wonderful antidote to doctor visits and medical procedures: it requires 110% of our attention and takes place in beautiful places.

So be sure to drop by and help us spread some joy!

See you there!

Date: Tue, 3 Mar 2015 17:17:06 -0800
From: doubl...@gmail.com
To: tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com