Anybody seen carp in the canal yet?

Ashley Frohwein

Apr 12, 2017, 9:47:46 AM4/12/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Regardless, I'm going hunting for them after work today.

tperkins

Apr 12, 2017, 10:09:57 AM4/12/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
They are there. Saturday, some were spawning, some where laying around, others were feeding, and one ate my fly. Warm weather may have made them a bit more active.

William Hea

Apr 12, 2017, 11:45:44 AM4/12/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Isn't the canal empty in DC? Was out last weekend and it looks drained from Georgetown through Fletchers.

Ashley Frohwein

Apr 12, 2017, 12:03:07 PM4/12/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I'll be hitting it up in MD

Andrew Sarcinello

Apr 12, 2017, 12:53:47 PM4/12/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Saw a bunch just upstream of Chain Bridge as well as a snakehead.

namfos

Apr 13, 2017, 4:23:49 PM4/13/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Haven't been out there in probably a month, but the C&O stretch between Violettes and Pennyfield Locks looked pretty fishy, esp near Blockhouse Point.  I suspect there's carp to be found there. So long as there is water in the canal I might get out there early on Sunday.

Mark

Ashley Frohwein

Apr 14, 2017, 10:43:41 AM4/14/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
We did well. Carp errrywhere. They were even rising.

Rocko

Apr 16, 2017, 4:46:49 AM4/16/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Any luck Ashley?

Ashley Frohwein

Apr 18, 2017, 6:14:32 PM4/18/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
We did well. Carp errrywhere. They were even rising.

On Sunday, April 16, 2017 at 4:46:49 AM UTC-4, Rocko wrote:
Any luck Ashley?

TurbineBlade

Apr 18, 2017, 7:28:55 PM4/18/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Hey Ashley -- Did you do well out there?

Gene

Ashley Frohwein

Apr 18, 2017, 8:07:28 PM4/18/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders

WeWe did well. Carp errrywhere. They were even rising.

Ashley Frohwein

Apr 19, 2017, 9:09:21 AM4/19/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Oh, and in case anybody is wondering, we did well. Carp were errrywhere (i.e., everywhere). The were even rising. ;)

Rocko

Apr 21, 2017, 7:56:07 AM4/21/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Ahsley,

Any sign of Mulberry trees overhanging the canal where you were?

Michael

Ashley Frohwein

Apr 21, 2017, 8:36:29 AM4/21/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
No mulberry trees out that way; they are closer to Gtown. Honestly, I think people focus on the mulberries too much. Sure, you might have greater odds around mulberry trees (when there are mulberries dropping), but you def don't need to target them.

Jeffrey Silvan

Apr 21, 2017, 10:09:04 AM4/21/17
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I love mulberries because it's a rare opportunity to fish carp on topwater. In my opinion, topwater is more fun than any other type of fishing. Unfortunately, we may not have any mulberry trees that we'll be able to target for two or more seasons because of the lock work in Georgetown.

--
http://www.tpfr.org

Ashley Frohwein

Rocko

Apr 24, 2017, 12:13:13 PM4/24/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
So if you want to catch Carp on a topwater fly..& we won't have mulberry opportunities.....which flies in addition to elk hair caddis will they most likely take?

Also...has anyone caught carp on a topwater fly in the Potomac?

tperkins

Apr 25, 2017, 10:09:59 AM4/25/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
My only top water experience with carp is on a mulberry in the canal. But I have read that they will feed on cottonwood seeds, and people tie flies to imitate them. My Orvis carp flies book, also has stimulators as a suggested pattern.

David Constantine

May 1, 2017, 3:57:05 PM5/1/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I've caught Carp topwater on green and pink egg patterns.  They are omnivores and will often eat whatever is falling off of the trees, not just mulberries.  My rule of thumb for carp is if you see them eating off the top, cast the egg or mulberry.  If you don't see active top feeding, don't bother.  They feed off the bottom 90% of the time in my experience.
Dave

TurbineBlade

May 1, 2017, 4:09:54 PM5/1/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
They feed off the bottom 90% of the time in my experience.

Indeed.

I also hooked my first on the fly this season yesterday afternoon (a smaller one) but he came unhooked after about 15 minutes of fighting on the 3 weight.  I've forgotten how much fun it is to watch your floating line dive under and head for the hills with a hot carp on the end of your leader.

Gene
20170429_111850.jpeg

Rob Snowhite

May 1, 2017, 4:16:08 PM5/1/17
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I hooked several carp at the surface with Justin last August in Colorado. They were sipping wind blown ants in the surface film. Only fly I had was a few size 20 trico. Couldn't land them but it was truly an experience.

Sent from my iPhone
--
http://www.tpfr.org

Rocko

May 10, 2017, 12:19:47 PM5/10/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I went this morning...no water in the canal at locks 8, 9, 10, or Anglers Inn. Did find water in the canal at Great Falls... didn't see any Carp.

Where did you see Carp rising?

Did get sunfish on an elk hair caddis in the canal at Great Falls. Are there places other than the canal where carp take topwater flies?

TurbineBlade

May 10, 2017, 1:38:36 PM5/10/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Yep -- Anywhere people routinely feed them pellets (or bread).  That said, I have never taken a carp on the surface using a fly.

Gene