TPFR Bluegill Tournament August 13th!!!

Trent Jones

Jul 20, 2016, 7:37:20 PM7/20/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
TPFR's and Pan fish enthusiast's!

TPFR will be holding a summer Bluegill Tournament on August 12-13th. The goal is, well, to have fun! This will be a 24 hour tournament with winners/prizes for the following categories;

1.       Biggest fish
2.       Smallest fish
3.       Most fish
4.       Best looking fish

The tournament will run from 4PM Friday, August 12th thru Saturday, August 13th at 4PM. General rules are as follows:

1.       All federal, State, and local laws must be obeyed.
2.       Only the use of Fly rod and reel
3.       Fish must be caught in DC, MD, or VA
4.       All submissions must be emailed to tournament organizers no later than 4pm Saturday, August 13th
5.       You absolutely must have fun.

Bluegill is being used as a general name for fish in the Sunfish family: Bluegill, Red Breasted Sunfish, Warmouth, Etc. No Crappie or Largemouth. Tournament Admission fee is $10.00.

We will be holding a closing ceremony at King Street Blues in Alexandria from 5-7PM. More details will be posted regarding measuring of fish and reporting of catches to judges. If you have questions please feel free to post on this thread.

-Trent Jones
gill.jpg

Scott Stankus

Jul 20, 2016, 8:13:33 PM7/20/16
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Nice! This sounds awesome!

Oh, and I love the photo inspiration for smallest fish!

--Scott

Sent from my iPhone
--
http://www.tpfr.org
<gill.jpg>

Rob Snowhite

Jul 20, 2016, 9:30:49 PM7/20/16
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Not a bluegill pictured!

I've got some spots to try out. I'll need a yard stick. Maybe this big?

image1.jpeg

Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 20, 2016, at 7:37 PM, Trent Jones <tjon...@hotmail.com> wrote:

--
http://www.tpfr.org
<gill.jpg>

GSFeder

Jul 21, 2016, 8:26:48 AM7/21/16
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Does fly rod and reel requirement mean no tenkara?

Cheers,

-- Greg

Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 20, 2016, at 9:30 PM, Rob Snowhite <r...@robsnowhite.com> wrote:

Not a bluegill pictured!

I've got some spots to try out. I'll need a yard stick. Maybe this big?

namfos

Jul 21, 2016, 8:30:45 AM7/21/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
So Lepomis only...

What if we want to eat 'em?

Mark

On Wednesday, July 20, 2016 at 7:37:20 PM UTC-4, Trent Jones wrote:
TPFR's and Pan fish enthusiast's!

...Bluegill is being used as a general name for fish in the Sunfish family: Bluegill, Red Breasted Sunfish, Warmouth, Etc. No Crappie or Largemouth. ...

Andrew Sarcinello

Jul 21, 2016, 12:26:57 PM7/21/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I'm in.

Jim White

Jul 21, 2016, 1:07:01 PM7/21/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Awesome! Probably use my 9' 8wt Recon as I plan to catch really big bluegills!

Andrew Sarcinello

Jul 21, 2016, 2:01:40 PM7/21/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I did some warming up on lunch break today. I have no doubt I will win the smallest fish award. I have a knack for that.

Here's a neat hybrid I caught a little while ago. Believe it's a bluegill X green

IMG_20160721_133024853.jpg

TurbineBlade

Jul 21, 2016, 2:06:08 PM7/21/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I think more than anything, something I'd love to have the opportunity to do one day is fish for bream somewhere with some real lunkers.  I mean -- full-on nuchal hump, dinner-plate bream ;).  We have a lot of family back in MO with access to a lot of farm ponds, but I haven't been able to access them. I think some have those hybrid sunfish Missouri likes to stock.

If you think about it, it's actually a lot more unusual to get a monster bluegill than it is to get a nice steelhead, or lunker bass, or basically anything else.  Most people wouldn't really appreciate it, and pictures and stories about the experience wouldn't impress most people.  But some folks get it.

Anyway -- I won't likely be able to make the tournament, but think it's a neat idea.  I'd love to see the pictures posted here afterward ;).

Gene

TurbineBlade

Jul 21, 2016, 2:08:13 PM7/21/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Andrew -- you're going to have to get a LOT smaller than that to take the prize ;).  I could walk down to the creek behind my place and beat that in 7 minutes.

Gene

Carl Smolka

Jul 21, 2016, 2:19:23 PM7/21/16
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com, carl....@verizon.net

Does Rule #2 exclude Tenkara?

Carl S

--

http://www.tpfr.org

Casey Peltier

Jul 21, 2016, 2:20:12 PM7/21/16
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Nope, gotcha beat...my hands are smaller than yours!

Casey

> Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2016 11:01:40 -0700
> From: andy...@gmail.com
> To: tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com

> Subject: {Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Re: TPFR Bluegill Tournament August 13th!!!
>
> I did some warming up on lunch break today. I have no doubt I will win the smallest fish award. I have a knack for that.
>
> Here's a neat hybrid I caught a little while ago. Believe it's a bluegill X green
>
> --
> http://www.tpfr.org
> ---
DSC_1999.jpg

Andrew Sarcinello

Jul 21, 2016, 2:22:00 PM7/21/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Oh I will do it Gene. Just didn't have my micro midge flies on me today! You ain't seen nothin yet. 😀

Does VA have a limit on # of flies/hooks that can be used at once?

Rob Snowhite

Jul 21, 2016, 5:59:41 PM7/21/16
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Gene,

How bout this slab

image1.jpeg

Sent from my iPhone
--
http://www.tpfr.org

TurbineBlade

Jul 21, 2016, 8:43:05 PM7/21/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
That's a dandy.

Andrew R

Jul 21, 2016, 10:06:51 PM7/21/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
This sounds awesome. Plus I've got the winning strategy. 10wt skagit with full sink tip, 10 split shot on a 2ft leader with an extra large musky fly. Knock the bluegills unconscious and then drag em in.

Trent Jones

Jul 22, 2016, 12:08:59 AM7/22/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders

Wow, I love the tenacity of this group!

1.Tenkara is an acceptable form of fishing.

2. Lepomis only.

3. Consuming fish is fine. Just harvest legally.

Smack talking, Latin, gear clarification…I love that the bragging of smallest fish has already begun as well. Freaking classic.

-Trent

GSFeder

Jul 22, 2016, 7:07:11 AM7/22/16
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
That thing lives by the discharge pipe at the 'roid factory.

Cheers,

-- Greg

Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 21, 2016, at 5:59 PM, Rob Snowhite <r...@robsnowhite.com> wrote:

Gene,

How bout this slab

Aden

Jul 22, 2016, 9:52:22 AM7/22/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Do we have to submit pics with the fish on a ruler?

Do you want all of my 107 fish in one email or individual emails?

Can't believe this is finally happening.

arthur...@gmail.com

Jul 22, 2016, 9:52:32 AM7/22/16
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I once fished a hex hatch on the Lake Erie shore near Kelly's island outside of Cleveland. My friends and I planed it for months hoping to get into some serious smallmouth. We found 0 smallmouth that weekend but had an amazing time catching huge bluegill during the hatch. I love me some bluegill.

Art

Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 21, 2016, at 2:06 PM, TurbineBlade <doubl...@gmail.com> wrote:

Andrew Sarcinello

Jul 22, 2016, 9:58:56 AM7/22/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Andrew R you might also hook into the mother of all bluegills with that strategy. I hear a 24" bluegill typically eats 10" long prey.

TurbineBlade

Jul 22, 2016, 5:52:46 PM7/22/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I'm glad someone mentioned spey rods.  Even among their enthusiasts, it's generally accepted that spey rods are basically only useful for heaving lawn furniture out into the middle of rivers (when all of the fish are at your feet), and also making small fish feel much, much larger due to poor leverage.

You could use one for competitive bluegill fishing, but never on windy days.  The massive cross section of the lines really catch the wind and make casting difficult --

Every word above is 100% truth -- sorry, I don't make the rules!

Gene

Trent Jones

Jul 23, 2016, 7:07:33 AM7/23/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Aden,

We are working on a TPFR ruler that will be sent via email to tournament participants. For the "Most Fish" category we will not need photos. We will be relying heavily on the effectiveness of the internationally recognized honor system.

-Trent

TurbineBlade

Jul 23, 2016, 7:12:35 AM7/23/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
What do they say about thieves and honor?  As it applies to fishermen, eh, you might go with the ruler.  ;)

Gene

Aden

Jul 23, 2016, 9:23:48 AM7/23/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Cool!

Dalton Terrell

Jul 28, 2016, 7:50:32 AM7/28/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
The online store with registration is now up here: https://squareup.com/store/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/item/bluegill-tournament-entry This site is hosted by the same company that provides us with iPhone credit card readers; the transaction should be secure but if there are any problems please let us know ASAP.

You can register on the website or at the Beer Tie on August 8, where we'll have more details. Additionally, we'll be e-mailing all participants the week of the tournament with these details.

Trent is working on some sweet prizes right now, so the winners will have bragging rights at future Beer Ties and other events.

Dalton

Trent Jones

Aug 7, 2016, 1:29:02 PM8/7/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders

The official TPFR Bluegill Tournament registration has begun!!!!!!

Here are the steps you need to take:

1. Register here by paying the $10 entry fee. You may also register in person at Beer Tie this Monday, at Whitlows on Wilson.

2. Once registered you will be emailed a TPFR ruler. Print this ruler.

3. Take photos of your largest and smallest fish using the ruler as proof of length. Also take a picture for submission for prettiest fish.

4. Send an email to blue...@tpfr.org  with pictures of your largest, smallest, and prettiest fish, as well as number of fish caught (do not send a picture of every fish, just your tally). With your submissions please include length to the 16th of and inch, as well as your name. Submissions after 4:00PM will not be accepted.

5. Come to King Street Blues in Alexandria for the official "weigh in", where we will present medals to the champions in each category. We have space from 5-7PM and will present medals at 6:00PM

6. Obey tournament rules;

The tournament will run from 4PM Friday, August 12th thru Saturday, August 13th at 4PM. General rules are as follows:

 -    All federal, State, and local laws must be obeyed.
 -    Only the use of Fly rod and reel (Tenkara acceptable)
 -    Fish must be caught in DC, MD, or VA
 -    All submissions must be emailed to tournament organizers no later than 4pm Saturday, August 13th
 -    Sunfish only (Lepomis)

Medals will be awarded to:

Biggest fish

Smallest fish

Prettiest fish

Most fish caught

If you have questions please post to this thread.

-Trent Jones

On Wednesday, July 20, 2016 at 7:37:20 PM UTC-4, Trent Jones wrote:
Medals.jpeg
Medals2.jpeg

Trent Jones

Aug 7, 2016, 1:34:10 PM8/7/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I almost forgot....please attached photos of the medals that will be awarded. They have our TPFR logo on the front, are engraved with the category champion on the back and are also.....bottle openers!

Please watch the attached video, and let the games begin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bob Smith

Aug 7, 2016, 2:02:52 PM8/7/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
'Now that I've seen those awards medals I'm going to have to enter.

Bob Smith

Aug 7, 2016, 2:13:44 PM8/7/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Started with panfish, still love them, just no stress fun.

Big 'gill courtesy of a Mid Western buddy.

image.jpeg

namfos

Aug 8, 2016, 8:57:22 AM8/8/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
That's a big-ass Lepomis, Bob. Fellow collector of Medalists? Can't tell but is the rubber band a reel seat component? ;-)

Mark

Terry C

Aug 9, 2016, 10:03:28 AM8/9/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
How about participation medals, so losers feel good about themselves and drink beer too.

Terry C

Aug 9, 2016, 10:08:42 AM8/9/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Grandpa shad is in !!!!!!!!!

arthur...@gmail.com

Aug 9, 2016, 10:43:28 AM8/9/16
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Yeah buddy!!!

Sent from my iPhone

> On Aug 9, 2016, at 10:08 AM, Terry C <flycs...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Grandpa shad is in !!!!!!!!!
>
> --
> http://www.tpfr.org
> ---

arthur...@gmail.com

Aug 9, 2016, 10:43:49 AM8/9/16
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Ha

Sent from my iPhone

> On Aug 9, 2016, at 10:03 AM, Terry C <flycs...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> How about participation medals, so losers feel good about themselves and drink beer too.
>
> --
> http://www.tpfr.org
> ---

Terry C

Aug 9, 2016, 1:53:08 PM8/9/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I would think there should be 2 divisions, A professional level for those members who are paid working members of the fly fishing industry ( you know who you are ) , and division and the rest of us amateurs. Also we should get participation medals so no ones feelings and self-esteem gets hurt, how are the rest of going to open beer in the future.

Andrew Sarcinello

Aug 9, 2016, 2:55:45 PM8/9/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Are rock bass allowed? I don't catch very many of those around here anyway, but just in case...

Bob Smith

Aug 9, 2016, 3:04:51 PM8/9/16
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
He just collects anything contemporary with 50's to 70's glass rods.

I have to check with Tooty, but knowing him it'll be for luck or something.

Sent from my iPhone
--
http://www.tpfr.org

Trent Jones

Aug 9, 2016, 3:12:22 PM8/9/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Rock bass are........allowed!

-Trent

Andrew Sarcinello

Aug 9, 2016, 3:20:14 PM8/9/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Thanks, Trent! I'm guessing I'll get 1 or 2 out of 100 fish where I'm heading. But in a comp of this level, every fish counts!!

Also, how do I get the official ruler? It didn't come through with the sign up confirmation email. I want to be sure I am measuring my prize-winning smallest fish accurately, lol.

Rob Snowhite

Aug 9, 2016, 3:47:49 PM8/9/16
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
This guy would disagree. I would say a fish has to be 'Lepomis macrochirus' for it to be a bluegill tournament. If rock bass were allowed then I would say Stankus can enter LMB from his work pond. It's not a sunfishes tournament, it's a bluegill tournament.

image1.jpeg

TurbineBlade

Aug 9, 2016, 4:16:39 PM8/9/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I have to agree with Rob.

Gene

Dalton Terrell

Aug 9, 2016, 5:12:37 PM8/9/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Andrew and others,

I'll e-mail out the ruler when I get back home in front of the computer. I couldn't get the PDF attached to the online store for this.

Dalton

Scott Stankus

Aug 9, 2016, 5:41:27 PM8/9/16
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Boom!
image1.JPG

namfos

Aug 10, 2016, 8:50:13 AM8/10/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Okay. But I want to know where one's safe space is if one needs it.

Mark

On Tuesday, August 9, 2016 at 1:53:08 PM UTC-4, Terry C wrote:
I...Also we should get participation medals so no ones feelings and self-esteem gets hurt,  how are the rest of going to open beer in the future.  ...

Andrew Sarcinello

Aug 10, 2016, 9:45:37 AM8/10/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Thanks for sending out the rulers Dalton. I am getting way too fired up for this.

Bob Smith

Aug 10, 2016, 9:58:27 AM8/10/16
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
At the bottom of a beer mug

Sent from my iPhone
--
http://www.tpfr.org

TurbineBlade

Aug 10, 2016, 10:17:36 AM8/10/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I was going to say "bottle", but I like "beer mug" better.

Also -- The key to weight loss is at the bottom of a bag of mini snickers bars.  It's down there - go looking for it people!

Gene

On Wednesday, August 10, 2016 at 9:58:27 AM UTC-4, Bob Smith wrote:
At the bottom of a beer mug

Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 10, 2016, at 8:50 AM, namfos <mark....@gmail.com> wrote:

Okay. But I want to know where one's safe space is if one needs it.

Mark

On Tuesday, August 9, 2016 at 1:53:08 PM UTC-4, Terry C wrote:
I...Also we should get participation medals so no ones feelings and self-esteem gets hurt,  how are the rest of going to open beer in the future.  ...

--
http://www.tpfr.org

Rob Snowhite

Aug 10, 2016, 12:19:59 PM8/10/16
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
My canoe paddle vs bluegill today. image1.jpeg

Sent from my iPhone

Dalton Terrell

Aug 11, 2016, 10:10:20 PM8/11/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
https://www.bassmaster.com/tournaments/bassmaster-elite-potomac-river

Who knew that the Bassmasters were in town too? Let's show those guys who's boss and catch some monster gills.

Trent Jones

Aug 12, 2016, 4:08:01 PM8/12/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
LET THE GAMES BEGIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bob Smith

Aug 13, 2016, 10:42:24 AM8/13/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
So it turns out that the tournament is being held on what local meteorologists are saying is the most dangerous heat day we have seen all summer.
Stay safe everyone.

Andrew Sarcinello

Aug 13, 2016, 2:04:16 PM8/13/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Good reminder. I just called it quits, car says it's 101 in Chantilly right now. Didn't feel so bad in the water!

Trent Jones

Aug 13, 2016, 4:48:04 PM8/13/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
We are sitting down to determine the winners in each category. But I have to say at first glance I am impressed!

Hope to see some folks at King Street Blues shortly!!

-Trent

Terry C

Aug 13, 2016, 4:49:10 PM8/13/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders