Smallmouth this weekend?

Josh L.

Aug 26, 2015, 9:31:52 PM8/26/15
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Hi all,

I've been trying to get into smallmouth fishing on the Potomac but keep striking out; I have a copy of Steve Moore's book but I must be holding it upside down or something.  I was thinking about heading out to Point of Rocks this weekend.  Any other thoughts about where might be a good place?

Thank you,

Josh

peter odell

Aug 27, 2015, 7:25:59 AM8/27/15
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Riverbend Park....they rent boats and also have a kayak launch.  Lots of great structure to fish around.

namfos

Aug 27, 2015, 8:13:46 AM8/27/15
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Move upstream a little ways and try fishing Weverton. It's in Moore's book.

Mark

HeaveToo

Aug 27, 2015, 8:17:33 AM8/27/15
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Riverbend is all messed up right now.  The last time I was there the vegetation was dying and stunk bad.  The water was skunky and the fishing was tough.

Try the Karo (Rt. 340) boat landing off of the Shenandoah.  You can find more info here:  http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/fishing/waterbodies/display.asp?id=173&section=maps

I was there a week ago and I caught a lot of smallmouth.  If you get there early or late try a carolina blue popping bug.

Another good fly is a white streamer.  Shenk's White Streamer is a good one:  http://www.smallmouthflyangler.com/articles/fly_shenks-streamer-smallmouth-bass-fly-fishing.php
http://catalog.murraysflyshop.com/products/shenks-white-streamer

Good luck!

Oh, most of the Rivers get more pressure in the weekend.  I find it is better to fish during the week.  If not you will be dealing with a lot of fishing/canoe/kayak pressure.

Rob Shane

Aug 27, 2015, 1:33:46 PM8/27/15
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I had decent luck floating Brunswick to Point of rocks last Sunday. Lot of boats on the water but had some good luck stripping dark buggers through the fast water. Just have to get to the good stuff before the party barges of canoes stop to get out and swim.

Bob Richey

Aug 27, 2015, 1:52:57 PM8/27/15
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I had good luck on the South Fork last weekend swining Shenks white streamers and pearl marauders through the riffles. I also had some good luck dead drifting crayfish patterns.  I think all my fish were caught in pretty fast water.

Josh L.

Aug 30, 2015, 12:13:53 AM8/30/15
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Thanks all! Your advice was very helpful -- we ended up rock-hopping down by Weverton and it was a blast.

namfos

Sep 1, 2015, 8:44:04 AM9/1/15
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Which set of rapids did you do most or your rock hopping? Ones closest to the parking at Keep Tryst or downstream?

Mark

Josh L.

Sep 1, 2015, 9:40:30 AM9/1/15
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Closest to Keep Tryst. They were very selective on tan or peach woolly buggers or crayfish. Didn't get a bump on white or black woolly buggers, clousers, other minnow imitations, but a size 8 crayfish pattern was hot. Thanks again for the recommendation!