favorite wintertime trout flies

Ashley Frohwein

Dec 13, 2016, 1:44:04 PM12/13/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Hey TPFRers,

I'm mainly just trying to get some discussion going here. What are your favorite wintertime trout flies? ICSI, zebra, and wd40 midges are high on my list. for dries, I like really small BWOs and griffith's gnats. For streamers, I like big flashy stuff with zonker strips that create a lot of commotion in the water.

namfos

Dec 14, 2016, 8:41:48 AM12/14/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Woolly Buggers. Black, Olive, Dark Brown. Sentimentally, I associate them with successful fishing while it's snowing out.  ;-)

Mark

Lane Thurgood

Dec 16, 2016, 2:21:04 PM12/16/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Griffith's gnats on top

Zebra midges (black, olive, red)
Brassies (copper, chartreuse, red)
Weenies (green, pink)

Black buggers with grizzly hackle

Andrew Sarcinello

Dec 16, 2016, 4:17:57 PM12/16/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
My favorites are olive or black woolly bugger or small sculpin pattern (size 8-10), #10 golden stonefly nymph, any sort of midge imitation, and a hot spot scud for the spring creeks.