Salt lake

Aden

Jul 24, 2017, 7:06:28 PM7/24/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Any DIY spots close to downtown worth while? Will be in salt lake for 21 hours with a rental car. I can take a 2wt or a 5 wt.

Rob Snowhite

Jul 24, 2017, 7:29:53 PM7/24/17
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Give the guys at Fly Fish Food a call.

We'll tie Lance's Rainbow Warrior at a gal beer tie.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jul 24, 2017, at 7:06 PM, Aden <aden...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Any DIY spots close to downtown worth while? Will be in salt lake for 21 hours with a rental car. I can take a 2wt or a 5 wt.
>
> --
> http://www.tpfr.org
> ---

Lane Thurgood

Jul 24, 2017, 11:28:39 PM7/24/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Oh my gosh yes.  With a rental car, you have the Provo and Weber Rivers about an hour away in opposite directions.  Both are blue ribbon rivers and very very do it yourself.

BUT me, I would hit any number of lakes in the Uinta Mountains around ballpark 90 minutes away.  For example, Mirror Lake is about 90 minutes away and easy to find off the Mirror Lake highway.   You will not find a more beautiful drive.  If you want to spend some time hiking, trails abound.  It is not uncommon for me to hit 3 or 4 lakes and a couple of streams in the course of a day there.  Another option, Smith Morehouse Lake on the upper Weber River.  Smith Morehouse has grayling, bonneville cutts, rainbows and tigers.  Utah DNR loves tigers in the Uintas because they don't overpopulate lakes the way brookies have.  Stunted brookies abound in some of the lakes and streams.  The fact that I'm willing to post those here should tell you they are no secrets and you won't be alone.  But you should do just fine on either one of those.  If you want to email or call me (202-441-0345), I'll give you all the info you want on waters in striking distance of Salt Lake with a rental car.  And I can even help you target a certain species. Just today, my brother was on brookies and tigers.  And yes, it was a day trip from Salt Lake.

I generally make one Uintas trip a year.  Dry fly fishing some of those lakes is poetry.

Aden

Jul 28, 2017, 11:32:18 AM7/28/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Is the water too cold to wet wade? I have limited bag space.

Lane Thurgood

Jul 28, 2017, 1:05:03 PM7/28/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
If you are fishing the Uinta lakes I mentioned, you wouldn't wade.  You would generally walk the shoreline and fish to cruising fish (don't forget polarized glasses).  You can also just blind cast if you see activity or just fishy looking places.  In many of the lakes, the grayling and cutts are cruising around really close to shore.  The tigers are often very close also, often with nose pointed toward shore--I assume for terrestrials.

If you are fishing the Provo or the Weber, well, the water is cold, no doubt about it.  As a kid, I wet-waded those slippery rocks and would get out and thaw every now and then, but you can also find space on the bank.  They are not big rivers, though waders would help you position yourself better.  I last fished the Weber a couple of Thanksgivings ago and did not have waders.  I found plenty of places to fish from the bank.

If you have the time, I'd hit those Uintas lakes and fish from shore.  Beautiful country.

Aden

Jul 28, 2017, 1:22:20 PM7/28/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Thank you so much. I land at 2pm so I'd have to hustle

Aden

Jul 28, 2017, 1:26:25 PM7/28/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Ok, last question. Should I take my 3wt or 5wt

Lane Thurgood

Jul 28, 2017, 1:52:05 PM7/28/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
If faced with the choice of only one, I'd definitely take the 5.  You'll want the bigger line in wind if you're in the Uintas.  If you are fishing the rivers, you'll want the 5.  The 5 just gives you more options.

Lane Thurgood

Jul 28, 2017, 1:54:10 PM7/28/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
And if you are really pressed for time, you can go with one of the urban ponds around Salt Lake.  You gotta do what you gotta do.

Yambag Nelson

Jul 28, 2017, 3:39:01 PM7/28/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Not sure which section of the provo you are thinking about but I would want waders on the lower.

Carl Z.

Jul 28, 2017, 9:15:24 PM7/28/17
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
If you're getting in the water up there, you need waders.  I would get out of my waders and think they had a leak, but it was just my skin being ice cold.  Unless you are staying knee deep or less, you want waders.

The good thing about the rivers there is the access.  Once you hit the forrest service boundary the rivers are mostly public access.  Also, the roads run right along the river, since that's about the only place you can put a road.  I would go for the Weber myself.  Aim to be on the water in the afternoon after the sun has had a bit of time to warm up the bottom.  I never fished the Uintas (there is a lot of good water closer) and I would think that getting into the lake would take a bit of time.

Carl

--
Carl Zmola

--
http://www.tpfr.org

Aden

Jul 31, 2017, 12:55:36 PM7/31/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Ended up at Mirror Lake. I have to say I've had more solitude during the shad run on the Potomac than I did at this lake. However, everyone was really laid back and I have never seen trout attack a foam ant as aggressively as a bass on the top water bite. Numerous fish going airborne.

I lived in Colorado for 10 years and I have never seen so many people in a national forest at one time. Was funny, on the drive up you could smell the pines and on the drive out all you could smell was all the camp fires.

Thanks for all the advice guys.